[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 110 KB, 1024x644, Mushrooms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9338729 No.9338729 [Reply] [Original]

Have you guys tried mushrooms in chili? I'm a big fan of both mushrooms and chili, I will be making chili very soon and my roommate suggested adding mushrooms to my chili, it doesn't sound too bad but it will be in the slow cooker for the next 6-8 hours so I don't know how the texture will end up. So any of you find mushrooms to be a good chili addition?

Any other good ingredients y'all like to add to chili?
I always thrown in a good chunk of the darkest chocolate I can find along with vinegar and corn starch to thicken it a bit

>> No.9338744

>>9338729
mushroom texture stands very well to being overcooked (ie. not burnt). That said, I'd pan cook them first to get a little caramelization happening on the surface, also it releases some water which just helps control the total liquid in your end product

they definitely won't hurt the chili, it'll just add the normal notes of earthiness

>> No.9338782

>>9338729
Works out pretty well.
I used quartered crimini and white button mushrooms instead of meat once when I got a request for vegetarian chili, turned out much better than I ever thought a vegetarian chili could be.
I did go out of my way to make sure I was using gmos, msg, and fried everything in bacon grease though, because fuck you Mike I put up with you being a gigantic faggot but I draw the line at having to put up with your picky asshole boyfriend.

>> No.9338784

>>9338729
Agreed about the chocolate.

>corn starch to thicken it a bit
You shouldn't need to do that. If you have a good base of chilis (actual chili peppers, not just a tiny packet of "chili powder") that will provide all the thickening you need.

I'm a big fan of using equal parts beer and tomato juice or V8 vegetable juice as the liquid for the chili. Whatever liquid you use should be flavorful. Don't use water.

>> No.9338989
File: 613 KB, 498x498, thinking.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9338729
I've never liked mushrooms because I don't like the idea of eating fungi. It just seems weird and wrong.

Am I the only one?

>> No.9339062

>>9338729
mushrooms are good in everything