[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 150 KB, 814x1040, the-painter-s-mother-ii-1972.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1513164 No.1513164 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/
I'm looking to modify my door/doorframe with some kind of locking mechanism that allows me to lock/unlock it from the outside as well as from within. I'm 19 and living at home, saving up for a room near my uni. Problem is, my parents don't allow me any privacy, and still treat me like I'm 12. I've tried diplomatic reasoning, but they refuse to recognize me as an adult. I've tried putting a door stopper under the door from the outside and removing it with a pocket knife when opening, but they just put all their weight onto it and open it regardless (we have a very slick floor). I have to lock my room somehow since they still go through my trash and shit looking for cigarettes (I don't smoke) when I'm away. Ideally, I want to install something that doesn't require major changes to the structure of the door (drilling holes, etc.). I've thought of this little rotating piece of wood at the bottom of the door that I can flip up (not locked) and down (locked) with a special hook-shaped stick, but I've not conceptualized it clearly enough. Plus, they'd just find a way around it. Help me, please?

>> No.1513166
File: 1.94 MB, 2048x2048, pixlr_20181210150514952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1513164
Pic related is door/doorframe. I should mention my dad has a shitload of tools, and I'm pretty handy myself.

>> No.1513170

>>1513164
>I'm 19 and living at home... they still go through my trash and shit looking for cigarettes (I don't smoke) when I'm away

this is fucking hilarious. you're 19 and you haven't stood up to them yet. maybe when you're 40 you'll grow a pair? And it's not so much as having a gay heart-to-heart talk, so much as your attitude towards them when they reach over and wipe your chin at the dinner table.

>> No.1513174

>>1513164
Just put a deadbolt on it with a key lock ffs

>> No.1513196

>>1513170
This is not a matter of growing a pair, they're just horrible overbearing people. I have a job, a girl, friends, I get good grades, I dress my age. Standing up to them doesn't work and neither does good behavior. I just have to sit them out until I'm financially independent.

>> No.1513199

>>1513174
Or just change the existing latch out with a locking one. But if anon's parents are truly asshats they will just pop the hinge pins anyway.

Get a lock box, fill it with rocks, put note inside that says "nosy fucker ain't ya", hide it someplace obvious. Wait for questions. profit.

and if all else fails, enlist. Free room, board, education, and get to see the world. Though I will say that basic sucks. But once you are out it is a great thing for the resume.

>> No.1513202

>>1513166
This >>1513199

You don’t even need a deadbolt. Get a door handle with a key and you should be able to swap them out within 5min with a single screwdriver.

>> No.1513205

>>1513164
Their house their rules bud. Try to tolerate it until you move out