[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 33 KB, 550x412, this-is-the-hill-just.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1556121 No.1556121 [Reply] [Original]

My house is built against a hillside where water run off from rain floods the back side of my house and when its really bad seeps into my sun room almost into my home. What can i do to reroute the water from flooding my back yard area. Up the hill is owned by the city so i have about 70 ish feet to play with

>> No.1556123

>>1556121
Build terraces.
Put drains in them.
Put sandbags around your house

>> No.1556125
File: 202 KB, 379x500, 4362875327_f52d507409.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1556121
Also make sure that's stable and you got insurance
The city is not watching out for you

>> No.1556154

French Drain / Drainage Pipe around the house to the lower side of the hill.

>> No.1556213

Dig a massive hole and catch all the water

>> No.1556260

A gravel and drainage pipe diversion.

>> No.1556263
File: 1.88 MB, 2350x1000, 1549454259231.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1556154
this

to be done properly you need some idea of the actual amount, flowrate and capacity of underground water in engineering terms

then you need to engineer a drainage system
somethign like a 2 feet wide 4 feet deep trench around the uphill facing side of the house/property, filled filled gravel and/or drainage rock
then secondary tranches or underground piping to ex-filtrate water around the house and downhill away form you
drainage retention ponds or ditches may be used as well

tl;dr what you need is and engineered drainage system

>> No.1556592

Fuck. Where can I get a cat bus?

>> No.1556610
File: 559 KB, 947x350, waterrouting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thanks guys, this helped out a lot. When its not so cold/wet and mushy back there ill head out and start digging. Question though, what about my neighbors? the one time i had to open up my sun room and let it go through the other door and it started flooding their house. If i build my drainage system up the hill will it effect them or cause an out pour of water into the street at the bottom of the hill? Theres a retaining wall separating the dirt mound from my street to the side walk about 3 feet high which has drainage holes from my house which keeps most the water out of my side lot/lawn to the right of my house. attached pic of my lot orange and yellow possible routes?

>> No.1556660
File: 12 KB, 1024x716, drainage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You need a figure of maximum expected waterfall per sq ft, the total area draining to your house, and you should have a figure of volume of water that your drainage needs to handle. Once you have a volume, you can calculate the diameter of drain you need to bury.
>>1556260 is what it is called.

>> No.1556737

>>1556610
>If i build my drainage system up the hill will it effect them
possibly, hard to say for sure without a proper study of the situation.
this is one of the reasons we have engineering standards for things like this in the US. it is meant to (hopefully) protect everyone from bad construction practices that could adversely affect local water run-off and storm drainage.
most places in the US have rules to prevent you from fucking up your neighbors property by diverting storm water onto it, even underground storm water

i dont like excessive rules and restrictions. but this is one area where the basic intent is to protect people and property.
when it comes to designing and building storm drainage structures and systems, generally an engineer is required so that potential problems are avoided or mitigated though engineering design

storm water run off, even subsurface water flow, can and will absolutely destroy things like roads and buildings.
once you start fucking with drainage, you've potentially stepped into a very volatile area

>> No.1556750

>>1556121
It's really easy to convince water to go elsewhere : just make sure it has somewhere lower it can get to. You want the ground to slope away from your house and towards a stream or drain or somewhere it can get off your property.

>> No.1556793

>>1556121
>>1556154

another word for it is weeping tile. very doable on your own. I've installed a fair bit of it (i work in water& sewer)

although it might be easier to take the steepest route it can also speed up erosion and you might end up with a divot in your lawn.

try and keep your slopes gradual, I like to use a laser level to keep my slope gradual and stop water from pooling in certain spots along the way.

perhaps you could cross your yard diagonally from the intersection of your yellow and orange lines to the terminus of the orange line? (or somewhat diagonally)

also, is the berm with the bushes higher than your back yard?

you could maybe disguise a spillway as a rock garden
it's hard to know without seeing the high and low spots

again, laser levels work really well for finding your grade, put a lazer level on a spot that's relatively level but slightly higher than the rest of your yard, then take a tape measure and measure the curvature of your lawn (use spray paint or something to mark the depth)

once you find your lowest spots you can plot out where the water is already going and where the most effective spots would be

>> No.1556881

>>1556793
The lot next to mine above the bushes is all flat. Behind my house is a ledge drop with another retaining wall about 3 foot high where most of the spill off forms. Ill see if i can get a picture of it tomorrow when its light out.

The sun room in the back is build slightly underground supporting the weight of the hill with windows up top. I have no troubles from the room or the other side of my home. Just the right side doorway. When we get bad rains it gets about 3 inches deep. My area floods pretty frequently but im so far up hill i dont get the brunt of it.

2 years back it flooded so bad though that it pushed against my house so much that it started pouring into the basement top walls. It looked like a horror movie.

>> No.1557584

>>1556610

Some notes based on your photo:

The drain does not need to be far away from your house. In fact you may not want it to be on the actual slope of your hill as you will have a tough time digging it to the proper dimensions. If there is a low point behind your house (i.e., ground slopes away from your house to meet the hill) put the drain there. If the hill slopes directly into the back of your house you are going to have issues regardless. That would need to be rectified first.

The drain only needs to extend as far as the sides of your house unless you are trying to protect something in the level area to the side. A longer drain just requires more capacity and introduces more locations for tree roots, etc. to clog it. So yellow line.

The drain itself does not necessarily need to exit at the street. These are typically at relatively flat slopes. It would probably exit about halfway down the slope between your house and the rock wall. It would also not be flowing fast or really be as much volume as you may think.

You need an entrance head for your electric meter conduit.

>> No.1558852

>>1556121
Nobody has mentioned the use of swales to control water. Might be worth comparing on a cost basis.
https://www.installitdirect.com/learn/landscape-swale/