[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 144 KB, 824x710, 4789177994_2ffecbe3ea_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1637034 No.1637034 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone know of or have a compilation of guides/sites/playlist(s) pertaining to van renovation? Personal experiences? My budget is 10k total but I only have about 5k available for it at the moment.

Does /diy/ think I couldn't get it done in 6 weeks while working full time if I bust my ass?

>> No.1637041

I'm renovating a early 70s Dodge RV. Its been a huge pain in the ass but starting from a empty space would have been easier. How crazy do you want to get? A bed platform with storage underneath is easy but a full water system with clear/grey/black water(if you put a bathroom in) tanks and plumbing, 12v/110 electrical ect... gets fucking complicated and nickels and dimes you to death.
A solid Toyota Chinook if you can find one is a good investment, they are comfortable and mechanically easy and solid while getting good mileage and retain value. Slow though and a cheap fixer upper is not a deal at all.

>> No.1637062

>>1637041
I plan on having an electrical system, but only for lights, a fridge, water pump, fan and device charging. No shitter, but I want a kitchen sink with hot water (propane). Is a Chevy 1500 in great physical condition with 180k miles a good option to look into? I know people say they hate not being able to stand up but we (2) wouldn't be in the van besides sleeping and eating pretty much.

>> No.1637186

Plot it all out on graph paper where everything will go. I guess you can put a camper into any van you like but IDK 180k is up there and for $10k you can get a baller conversion van that already has everything you need done right. Really you could get that for $5k probably, maybe with some cool retro 90s raster stripes.
If you are determined to convert it yourself I can give you some amazon links for the shit I bought for my RV. I spent a while comparison shopping to get a cood cost/benefit on the stuff I bought to update my vintage RV, stuff like LED lights and water storage that would work great in your application.

>> No.1637190
File: 57 KB, 600x450, 00B0B_2kZVD22aM7l_600x450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just picked a random city (Atlanta) and checked Craigslist. Now I like vintage stuff but not too old, 80s / 90s bc parts are cheap and plentiful usually and they can be worked on easy. You may have a different idea in mind but anyways this is what I'd look for if I wanted a budget camper van. 27k miles is minimal, the camper interior looks awesome, and you don't have to do shit to it. Dodges are prone to transmission problems but thats pretty low mileage. Just a thought.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/atlanta-1984-dodge-xplorer-camper/6903687043.html

>> No.1637205

>>1637190
Yeah I guess I don't know enough about specific make and model issues for vans to know which models are better to buy old and low miles and which are better newer and higher miles. The Chevy I mentioned is 2009 and apparently they don't have the spark plug issues like the Ford E series do from those years. I will look into prefab options but really I just think I have way better taste than the people who designed campers like that. I'd probably end up changing almost everything on the inside pretty quick after buying it. Like a picnic table in the Chinook, come on. Huge fucking waste of space and totally unnecessary.

>> No.1637276

>picnic table in the Chinook

If you are talking about the 3 sided bench area with a table in the back of some Chinook designs, the table top is easily removable and also locks into the benches to make it into another bed, with 2 windows that allow for good airflow.

Anyways its your money, do whatever you want. If you have to ask I'm thinking 6 weeks while holding down a full time job is totally unrealistic for building a from scratch interior.

>> No.1637293

>>1637276
Okay I didn't realize it was a convertible table, but still it's got to be a pain to have to do all that and remake the bed Everytime you want to change it. Thanks for all advice

>> No.1637530

>>1637034
>I only have about 5k available for it at the moment.
A couple hundred will get you a hammock, an ice box, a couple plastic storage crates, and some bungee cords to tie shit down. You're probably going to spending the rest on the van itself, and bills