[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 92 KB, 1000x1000, white-giani-granite-cabinet-countertop-paint-fg-gi-wht-di-64_1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1637301 No.1637301 [Reply] [Original]

I got one of those paint your countertop kits and it includes a 16oz can of polycrylic for a top coat. While the can should be enough to roll on 1-2 coats, it being water-based I'm worried about durability regarding water spills and scratches.

I was thinking of getting some clear epoxy and putting that on top of the polycrylic. Should I expect any weird reactions between the polycrylic and epoxy? Also would 16oz of epoxy be enough, i'd just be rolling on a layer like paint. The polycrylic at 16oz is enough for 1+ layer.

>> No.1637307

>>1637301

If the package says roll it on, follow the directions carefully. In general you don't roll clear products because they get filled with tiny bubbles. Even if the bubbles rise to the surface and pop, they sometimes leave little craters that screw up the sheen. Also, some roller naps never stop shedding fibers.

>> No.1637337

>>1637301
I think most epoxy's can be rolled on. Would making the layer thin prevent bubbles too? I'm just looking to seal the polycrylic.

>> No.1638636

Any other opinions on epoxy on top of polycrylic?

>> No.1639420

>>1637301
Sometimes, when you apply a 2 part ( epoxy and catalyst) product over one that is 1 part, it can make a reaction.
Make a test before .

>> No.1639518

>>1638636
I work with epoxy and other 2 part coatings professionally.

With water based products, the issue is always allowing all the water to escape before covering with a different base product.

To be safe, I'd use the kit as is. You'd have to thoroughly read the technical data to know if what you're doing is a good idea.

If you're going to use epoxy as a tppcoat, be aware that areas the sun hits regularly will discolor over time.

I would use different products, but what you can do is wait until the base product is outside of its recoat time and then lightly sand with 100grit and then top coat as you wish.

I would top coat with 2 thin coats of 2-part polyurethane. for each of the coats, let the house warm, then right before you coat, kick the A.C. down and let it chill for 8 hours to stop bubbles.

you can roll-on 2-part products and get a perfect finish because of the chemical reaction