[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 15 KB, 400x400, electroplating-copper.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1730669 No.1730669 [Reply] [Original]

tldr I want to do a career in battery manufacturing, should I go EE, ME or CE? I got some real world experience in all three remanufacturing batteries for a forklift dealer but I want to go back to school. CE seems like the right idea but courses seem to focus on petroleum products, EE seems right too but focuses on installation and CS (as opposed to electrical-assisted manufacturing, like electroplating pic related), ME seems right because of metallurgy studies but seems focused on exclusively drilling operations. I also have a side job building specialty camera flash tubes, so I know a lot about radiation - would applying this to manufacturing require more chemist skills or machinist skills?

When you get down too it I want to be an electrochemist so I can do electromechanical machining.... is there any way to practically do this without just getting a 4-year degree in physics?

Asking here because /sci/ is clueless about real world job applications and /adv/ just wants homework and feels.

>> No.1730689

Find an uni which does research which looks interesting. See what faculty it's being done in. Then don't go there for bachelors, go somewhere cheap and transfer there for masters (assuming you're a burger).

That said, actually designing the batteries for manufacture is going to be mostly mechatronics ... the chemistry is someone else's problem.

>> No.1730701

>>1730669
>is there any way to practically do this without just getting a 4-year degree in physics?

Study manufacture engineering. You're still going to be learning a combination of math and physics, but it will be far more practical.

The other alternative is to study business. The economics of power distribution is changing fundamentally. People and things will be becoming far more mobile over the next 50 years.

And what you will learn about global economics and finance is relevant to understanding how the materials are sourced in politically unstable regions, or how to understand the changes in population dynamics. Just every time you have an elective, study something related to batteries.

Find a professor who does batteries, and talk to them.

>> No.1730911

>>1730669
Start here https://batteryuniversity.com/

Thank me later.