[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 50 KB, 680x670, 1567171270917.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1754626 No.1754626 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone here use a power washer? I would like to have one but can't really justify it aside from washing a car and some furniture. How are the cheap electric ones? I hear good and bad things about longevity, but good about their start time and usage. I was thinking of getting this one. https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/RockBottom/RYOBI-1600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer/p/ZRRY141612
How much PSI is a good amount? Is this enough for household use? Can I use it to make money?

>> No.1754637

Mine isn't quite that fucking tiny, but also electric so probably not much better, at about 2000W.
Can't say much about longevity since I only had it one year, but the main usage seems to be cleaning outdoor surfaces, stone with dirt and moss, wood, tile, concrete, shit like that.
You can also sandblast with the more powerful models, and it does decent work, but extremely slowly, only good for small jobs.
>Can I use it to make money?
Someone might pay you to clean their patio and shit if they're too lazy to do it themselves, depends on how rich the area you live in is.

>> No.1754640
File: 2.22 MB, 4032x3024, DAB52279-D3E2-4FF2-843E-2511CC470F0D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1754626
>pressure washer
I actually just got the little bit more powerful Ryobi electric one for xmas and finally got some hours on it last weekend. I wanted a gas one because they’re far superior, but didn’t want to spend $400+ on one.

I’m pleasantly surprised. The only other time I used an electric one, I remember it being absolute dogshit and it would barely even clean off the sidewalk and it struggled to keep up. This thing got my patio nice and white though. It’s more than powerful enough to wash a car, might not strip the paint off as well as a good gas one, but it’s also compact and easy to store. The surface cleaner works, but it’s smaller and not as fast as the big professional gas ones, but I’m cleaning my driveway once a year so it’s not the end of the world.

I think that 1800psi is about the max you will get out of an electric one. Gas pressure washers will go from 2000psi to 4000psi. The gas ones are another level, but that extra power gets you from cleaning to stripping, so depends what you want to use it for, and a gas pressure washer is going to require more care even if you only use the thing twice a year.

>> No.1754643
File: 48 KB, 1000x1000, A71F436C-9C12-4CB3-AF0A-328686162AF7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1754626
>>1754640
Oh and...
>can I use it to make money
You could, but the electric ones aren’t nearly as nice to do full driveways. You want a surface cleaner if you plan to do that, and the electric ones are limited to a little 12” diameter cleaner, the big gas ones will run a surface cleaner twice as big and knock out driveways way faster

>> No.1754705

It might be ok for occasional homeowner use, but you're definitely not going to make any money with that tiny ass thing.

6.5hp engine and around 3000psi and 3.0 GPM is where you can actually start to do some serious work with it.

For anyone looking for a bigger gas one here's some advice from me. The 6.5HP one that HF sells has an axial pump on it. Avoid it. Buy a predator engine and a triplex pump to match your needs and the 6.5hp requirements and go that route instead. Piece it together with a good hose, wands in several lengths, and quick couplers everywhere. Anything less is homeowner grade garbage.

>> No.1754707

Ive got a 4.2 GPM 4200 psi gas powered one. Its basically worthless. I can not use it to clean my house because its cracks the siding. I dont care enough about my truck to clean it (i have never cleaned my truck) It will clean the shit out of concrete though.

your going to hear alot of people say that the cleaning power is in the GPM, be rude to them and walk away they are retarded assholes.

the best thing I have found for most cleaning tasks is to use some sort of a soap applicator. Like a foam cannon or a pump sprayer or whatever. and then just rinse it off with a hose.

>> No.1754708

>>1754707
Are you retarded? Get a fan spray nozzle and don't shove the end of the wand right up to your house siding. Stand further back and make wider sweeping passes.

Yeah a huge pressure washer will peel paint off of shit if you use it improperly (Unless you actually want to peel the paint off) but all you have to do is not get so damn close to it when washing and it won't peel paint of anymore...

>> No.1754718

>>1754626
My wife was shopping at our local Aldi and found a 2300psi gas pressure washer with a B&S engine for $140. She bought it and I've used it on multiple items. I tried electric ones before, but none have compared to the gas one. I've cleaned concrete sidewalks, back patio, pavers, landscape blocks, washed the shed, tore paint off of the shutters, etc. Thing is awesome. Would def recommend a gas one.

>> No.1754722

>>1754708
Yeah i got tips, I tried standing further back it wasnt cleaning I slowly moved in until it began cleaning and then it cracked.

Do you really think I didnt go through that process? People like you are why the world sucks. If the first thing you thought of saying was what you wrote why wouldn't you also assume that was the first thing I thought while doing it? Put some more effort into your life.

>> No.1754744

OP here, another question: how much stronger are the PSI in terms of usage? Is it noticeably stronger or is there a point of diminishing returns? Does work go much faster at a certain PSI or too slow?

>>1754637
Did you replace the wand? I heard it was really bad and plasticky
>>1754640
Its 2300 PSI just from this site.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/Products/Lawn-%26-Garden/Pressure-Washers/RYOBI-2300-PSI-1-2-GPM-High-Performance-Electric-Pressure-Washer/p/ZRRY142300 >>1754718
I think this is actually cheaper and the same rating, but it should be more efficient >>1754722 is your siding old? did you use the wide nozzle? I never heard of someone having that problem before, its why I was thinking of getting a weaker one, but from what everyone says, I should get the strongest one.

>> No.1754750

>>1754744
i have roughly 8 year old vinyl siding, I went through multiple steps to not have it crack, in the end I can clean my single story house with a bug sprayer with 2 cups of bleach and a gallon of water and the garden hose in about 3 hours. the mildew just melts off.

depending on your siding and the kind of dirt issues you are having you may need a pressure washer, you may not.

If what you want is to clean your siding start with soap and bleach and shit try different things, (most commercial house cleaners are just over priced bleach aka sodium hypochlorite). if that doesnt work try borrowing or renting a pressure washer to see what size you need.

If my neighbor asked me to borrow my pressure washer I would tell him to get fucked, but if he said he was trying to determine what kind to buy for himself I would be ok with that.

>> No.1754752

>>1754626
I have a gas powered one and it's GOAT. It has 4 settings where I can adjust the pressure from 2,000 psi to 3,100 psi. I use it several times a year to clean my back porch, driveway, side of my house, patio furniture, etc. I've never seen one as cheap as the one you posted so I'd go for it. Worst case you're only out $60 which ain't bad. For comparison my 3,100 psi washer cost me $380. The only other thing you might look into is a used one from craigslist. Plenty of used ones go for $100. If you're pot committed to $60 anyway, what's another $40 ya know?

>> No.1754783

>>1754722

So in other words your shitty vinyl siding sucks and is weak as fuck...

>> No.1754789
File: 213 KB, 1200x1200, Kärcher_HD9_100_4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1754640
>I think that 1800psi is about the max you will get out of an electric one
>>1754705
>For anyone looking for a bigger gas one
>>1754718
>I tried electric ones before, but none have compared to the gas one.
where does this electric is shit meme come from?
you can buy electric washers at all power levels pic related is 1000 bar (14500 psi)
the only case where you need gas powered ones is if you work somewhere without access to electricity

>> No.1754795

>>1754789

What is the price on that? (HINT: out of anyone's price range)

They do make powerful electric pressure washers, but they are usually up around the 4-5k range in order to compare to a ~$750 range gas powered pressure washer.

>> No.1754804

>>1754795
no shit that was just the extreme end to show what's possible
at the lower end of reasonably priced but good quality is for example the HD 5/15 C Plus for 550€ (200bar, 2900psi)
or at the upper, still reasonable end the HD 10/23-4 S for 1500€ (250 bar 3600 psi)
both are made for professional use and are far more reliable than super cheap small engines
bonus electricity is cheaper than gas

>> No.1754807

>>1754804

How much for say a 4400-4500psi 4.0gpm electric unit? Cause I can buy a new gas one for sub $800.

So for the standard DIY'er the good electric ones are out of price range, and the electric ones that you can afford suck ass. That is why the "electric is shit" meme exists.

>> No.1754810

>>1754804
>2900psi
My Walmart gas one meets those specs for 250 leaf bux. Furthermore you're a dumbass without a clue. You don't even know the diff between an engine and a motor. Please, stop shilling and neck yourself.

>> No.1754815

>>1754807
>How much for say a 4400-4500psi 4.0gpm electric unit? Cause I can buy a new gas one for sub $800.
that will be an unreliable piece of shit made to advertise big numbers
a gas powered unit with those specs from a real manufacturer will cost 2k+

>So for the standard DIY'er the good electric ones are out of price range,
no 3k psi in the $500-1000 range are plenty for diy use and you get a professional unit that won't brake after 10hours

>>1754810
yes and it will break because it's a piece of chinese junk
>You don't even know the diff between an engine and a motor
i used engine correctly, and yes small gas engines suck ass especially when they are made for max power at the cheapest price

>> No.1754921
File: 146 KB, 684x600, 1579041746892.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just so everyone knows, pressure washing patios and driveways is a meme.
If you simply apply Dawn detergent or Simply green degreaser and lightly scrub it in with a push broom, you can then water down the surface with a spray nozzle and get superior results. You could even use bleach.

>> No.1754936

I have one and literally the only thing I use it for is cleaning black walnuts.

>> No.1755021

>>1754921
That sounds like a great plan to kill the little plant and insect life that’s still left in your garden
especially if you have a pond or other small body of water nearby

>> No.1755061

>>1754626
For basic household tasks an cheap electric one will do you just fine.
Cannot vouch for durability beyond 3 seasons.
I was originally skeptical but was pleasantly surprised.
Even my dad's cheap HF sees more use now than the gas one.

>> No.1755106

>>1754783
Feeling a bit butt hurt are we?

>> No.1755123

>>1754626
I usually find a few electric ones a year on the street for garbage collection, and fix them. The start capacitor is a common problem and a $10 fix. The line for the cleaning solution gets clogged up. As long as the pumps not broken it's probably worth fixing.

I wouldn't buy a new one.

>> No.1755141

>>1755106

Not at all...

I have a several good gasoline powered pressure washers and a couple of electric ones that are still miles above the consumer grade bullshit being shilled on here, and you have shit tier nigger vinyl siding on your house...

Why would I feel butthurt about that?

I merely stated my opinion on what makes a good pressure washer for the money. Fact is that an engine powered unit will be much more affordable given the same pressure and flow ratings.

Most people that actually do any kind of work with their pressure washers prefer engine driven ones.

And if you have to have siding, at least put some hardi-backer style siding on your mud hut there Jamal...

>> No.1755165

>>1755141
uh well I just figured since I called you retarded and then you got all butt hurt is why you were butt hurt.

Why do you have several pressure washers, you just running around like fucking Rambo double fisting pressure washing guns cleaning houses like "quick get to the chopper, its dirty I must clean it!!!"

>> No.1755200

I have a 1.5hp electric unit with a duplex pump in the garage at my house. It basically gets used for blasting shit out from under mower decks and that is about it. I used to have it at our shop for washing off tractors and big equipment. Thought it was amazing for many years until I got something with some actual pressure and flow.

That something was the 6.5HP pressure washer from HF. It was pretty sweet for a while then started losing pressure fast. That is when I got my distaste for axial pumps. They're shit. Don't buy any pressure washer that doesn't have a triplex pump.

So I ripped that axial pump off of there and put a General triplex pump on it and it has been running strong for years now. I use it for washing all kinds of equipment at the shop. It works and does a good job of it.

Last year I also got the 13hp pressure washer form HF. Haven't even had time to pull it out of the box yet. Plan is to put it up at the shop, bring the 6.5HP unit from the shop to my house, and put the electric one in a storage trailer.

Also have parts to put another 6.5hp unit together and run on our nurse tank as a portable wash station to clean up equipment on site.

And last but not least I picked up an old Mi-T-M electric unit at an auction for chump change. Has a 7.5HP electric motor and a belt driven pump. Not sure on the flow or pressure ratings of it. Haven't done anything with it yet either because there's too much other shit going on constantly.

>> No.1755202

>>1755200
wow not one name brand product, and your ripping on my siding.

>> No.1755204
File: 3.81 MB, 200x199, 1512621816465.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1755021
>B-but, I cannot into proper drainage
Youre priorities are out of order, fren.

>> No.1755205

>>1754804
what a retarded arguement when any power rating over 5hp is going to need its own dedicated circuit. over 10 and its all going to need 3 phase power. bitch about gas being expensive all you like, you can get a small diesel powered unit and run it for years and still be under what you would spend for an equilivent electric with a service install. not to mention portability.

>> No.1755218

>>1755202

Fact of the matter is you have nigger tier siding on your domicile.

And Mi-T-M isn't name brand? Go dilate your asshole with a cactus.

I don't shill a certain brand. Cat makes good pumps, but they're expensive as fuck. Comet and General make good pumps too and they're more budget friendly. I'm sure Karcher makes good shit, but they are insanely priced for what you actually get.

Let me guess, you'd rather have a name brand that does half the pressure and GPM than some off-brand that will literally blow it out of the water with power because of your fragile ego?

>But muh electric motors! No smelly gas/fumes! no maintenance!

Jesus fuck, get a hold of this faggot! Learn how an engine works, figure out how to work on them, and quit being such a whiny cuck. Small engines are so retardedly simple to work on and maintain you'd have to be a low IQ nigger to ever have a problem with them.

>> No.1755225

>>1755218
Fact is you have nigger tier equipment Mi-T-M is name brand like harbor freight is name brand. Its fuckin junk its assembled in america but you wont ever see it anywhere ecept shade tree shops.. when I bought my air compressor I spent months reading online about it looked and them and went with Kaeser.

my shit including my siding is going to last forever. enjoy your failing business you fucking nigger.

>> No.1755253

>>1755225

Your vinyl clad ego is fracturing just like your vinyl clad house...

Keep paying top dollar for those name brands. The Jews are depending on you Anon!

>> No.1755339

>>1755021
Dawn is used in oil cleanups anon.

Anyone ever DIY it with an air compressor?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8BmsDMoCytk

>> No.1755340

>>1755253
One small spot of my vinyl is cracked, the rest is fine. Wheras all your shit is trash.
Me.I'd rather have my life based on quality.

And by the

>> No.1755343

Way Spiegel Is a 50 50 new name. So. That last remark is wholly uneducated.

Mitm

>> No.1755347

>>1755021
If that were true, people's pipes wouldn't get penetrated by tree roots.

>> No.1755348

>>1754815
Chink pumps are fine if you don't let them corrode. The power heads are just fine too with decent care.

Pros don't use electric unless absolutely necessary, like air issues. At work our wash down station have electric washers but their feeds are nowhere near the splash zone with permanent wiring. Epumps have gfis and after a few cycles you'll be defeating it. We consider them a hazard in industrial sites. Yet we fire hose 1000hp, 4160v motors while they run with salt water. Go figure.

I'm curious in the hp of that 4500 psi unit. I doubt a normal 15 amp socket would feed it but you're a britbong so I'd love to compare.

>> No.1755364

>>1754789
Dude there is no way you're getting an electric pressure washer that has any power for what you can get a gas one for. And to answer your question, the meme comes from shitty karcher electric pressure washers that say 2300 psi, but can't even remove fucking leaves from a patio

>> No.1755368

>>1754707
Yes it will crack the siding if you use the 0 degree nozzle, fucktard. Use the 40 degree nozzle for cleaning siding

>> No.1755371

>>1755347
The bleach is bad. Also an oxidizer I think, right? I could see certain things corroding the inside of the pump. That Ryobi has “NO BLEACH” written a few different places to make sure you see it.

Dawn is safe though, there’s a reason they use it to clean up oil-covered penguins and shit.

>> No.1755406

>>1755368
Oh derp what's a 40 degree nozzle? It didn't come with a bunch and I didn't try them all.

Fucking retard

>> No.1755509

>>1755364
Haha I had one of those Karcher pressure washers. Got it at Wal-mart. Figured it would clean off the lawnmowers, but god it was awful. Their "turbo" nozzle that was on it was pure shit. I ended up making my own zero degree nozzle out of a 1/8" pipe plug drilled out with some tiny ass drill bit. Actually had the hole too small to begin with and it would cycle on and off while running it. Got it drilled out just enough so that it would keep running. That was a definite improvement over the stock nozzle, but the entire thing was still garbage.

I glanced at that Mi-T-M pressure washer again today. It is an 8hp, not 7.5 like I said before. Belt driven pump, I couldn't spare enough fucks to get a pump number off of it, cause I had actual work to do.

>> No.1755679

>be me
>live 2 miles from a bro business
>10,000psi deisle hot water auto soap power washer
>owner and me drinking beer
>anon go wash ky truck and I'llsend anon for a couple cases of beer
>fuckyeah.jpg
>brand new ford raptor
>less than 100 miles on it
>fire up new super mega firehose 9,000
>swipe hood
>peel about 4 inch strip about 3 feet down hood.
>stare in disbelief
>Pffffahahaha!
>anon wtf you do?
>nothing i just use it
>bullshit show me
>walk to other side
>make matching racing stripes
>well fuck... lol.
>walk in
>drink beer
>guy gives 0 fucks. 2 years later has surface rust racing stripes...

Then again if i had just sold out for $10,000 cash and restarted the business from nothing again I'd give 0 fucks as well.

>> No.1755755
File: 233 KB, 964x592, article-1388660-0C25E69700000578-339_964x592.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1755371
>dont put the bleach
When I mentioned bleach here >>1754921 I didnt say put it into a pressure washer. In fact the entire post is telling you a pressure washer isnt necessary.
If you take the time to learn how to properly drain your property, you wouldnt have any issues with washing your walkways and driveways with any substance.