[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.38 MB, 3248x2436, 20200220_170442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1770836 No.1770836 [Reply] [Original]

This is the depth stop from a cheap arbor press. It appears to be made of cast iron. Somebody broke it and I was going to braze it back together.
I noticed that the edges of the break were black, I thought that was kind of odd. But when I gouged the metal with a file, it had the normal silvery iron color.
As soon as I started heating it to braze it, oil started to spread across the surface. As I kept heating it, the whole part got covered in thick oil and it started dripping onto the vise.
What the hell? Is this cast iron somehow impregnated with oil? This is not an oilite bearing. I've never before seen cast iron that starts pouring oil out of it when heated. I definitely can't braze it, or glue it, or anything.
I have no clue what this is. Enlighten me, if you can.

>> No.1770845

clean it with a degreaser, it's probably residual

>> No.1770850

>>1770836
two oily holes and two oily spots, related?

>> No.1770855

>>1770836
Not an expert but maybe its not cast iron but made of sintered metal like cheap gears are. Basically an iron version of an oilite bearing. You can use pretty much any metal in the sintering process and its cheap, which kind of fits with harbour freitht.

>> No.1770876
File: 1.97 MB, 2436x3248, 20200220_170020.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1770850
that's what I first thought when the oil started spreading across the surface. But far more oil dripped from it than could fit in those tapped holes even if they were full of oil. it wasn't at all oily to the touch before I started heating it.

>>1770855
I doubt it, for one it really isn't a bearing surface. It's a loose fit until the set screws are tightened. there's no reason for this to be an oilite material.
It could be a sintered metal, maybe soaked up so much oil as a side effect of that process, but then why are there such big corner reliefs on the inside, if the whole part was sintered they wouldn't need to mill the inside.

Maybe tomorrow I'll keep heating it and see how much oil comes out.

>> No.1770896

>>1770876
The corner reliefs aren't from milling. They're to prevent cracking of the shitty material.