[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 10 KB, 246x205, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1881608 No.1881608 [Reply] [Original]

Any serioud prepper shoulf look into gassification. A technology developped by Germans around WW2 that turns wood or coal into gasoline/kerosine/diesel/lubricants/rubber/gun powder/fertilizer/plastics/etc.

How do you think it was possible for flat broke germany to conquor europe?

High school books and wikipedia talk about the 4 Year Plan but conveniently never detail what it entailed.

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/egee120/node/242

>> No.1881611

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Year_Plan

"During the following years, the state, under Göring Works (Reichswerke), began building refineries, aluminium plants, and factories for the development of synthetic materials.[14]"

>> No.1881643

>>1881608
You're an idiot. The biggest reason Hitler invaded the rest of Europe was for their resources. If France bothered to stop him in the beginning, it would have been EASY, and even Hitler knew that. The third reich was powered by conquest, not bullshit about gasifying wood into gasoline.
So many countries HATE the U.S. and Saudi control of oil that if you could make petroleum products from wood, SOMEONE WOULD HAVE FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW.

>> No.1881651

>>1881608
It turns wood or coal into syngas (a mixture of CO, CO2, and H2). You CAN convert syngas into liquid hydrocarbons but it takes a lot of heat and pressure. It would be very difficult (and dangerous) to do in your back yard. Keep in mind you are working with high temperatures, high pressures, and explosive fuel. If you want to make syngas into a liquid and you fuck up then your project is just going to be one large bomb in your back yard. If you want energy then would be far safer and easier to just get a generator that runs off of syngas.

>> No.1881654

>>1881643
You can make liquid hydrocarbons from wood. It's just not very efficient or cost effective.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_to_liquids

>> No.1881659

>>1881654
That's not surprising. I guess I'm approaching this from the angle of knowing that if something isn't practical, it's not a viable option. Something being technically possible doesn't mean it's worth doing. And, it's not hard to put together that the kind of shit OP is talking about would be very inefficient.

>> No.1881862

>>1881643
>if you could make petroleum products from wood, SOMEONE WOULD HAVE FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW.
They did figure it out, Germans ran blue diesel. They cracked coal into diesel. There's also government info out there for farmers during war to run their farm machines from gasification. I know your post was bait, but I'm bored and pooping at the moment.

>> No.1881864

>>1881659
It is practical if you don't have access to easier to process hydrocarbons.

>> No.1881865

>>1881643
why didn't he invade iran and the middle east for fuel?

>> No.1881867

>>1881864
I should also mention that refineries tend to crack kerosene and other hydrocarbons we don't use often into gasoline.

>> No.1881884

At the end of the day if shtf you eiyher have gasoline or you dont. The externalities for gasoline production from syngas are heat pressure and catalysts

If shtf the prices would skyrocket and you would be way behind the curve

>> No.1881892

>>1881659

Assume harder about shit you dont know and retrofit some logic to your ignorance

Do you know how much fucking syngas is in some wood?

2kg is around a Kw of energy if you run a generator

>> No.1881901

Bump for interest. I would like to make gasoline from wood

>> No.1881910

>>1881865
Iran, much like Afghanistan, is a treacherous terrain that makes it difficult to move armoured vehicles through. Even US commanders have stated Iran would be almost impossible to physically invade.

>> No.1881917

IF ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE NAZIS, ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

>> No.1881957

>>1881917
No; Ideology should dictate all progress. Hermphrodite Sex Robots for Everybody!

>> No.1881961

>>1881917
If its good enough to win a nobel prize in chemistry. Its good enough for me

>> No.1881965

>>1881917
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/egee120/node/242

"The hydrogenation process involved heating large amounts of hydrogen with coal at high temperatures and pressure in the presence of a catalyst. The competing technology was the Fischer-Tropsch process. It involved steam reforming of coal to produce Syn-gas (a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide) that was subsequently converted to synthetic oil but wasn’t as successful. Hydrogenation could also produce aviation fuel while the Fischer-Tropsch method could not. Hydrogenation received the highest accolade when, in 1931, Bergius (the inventor) and Bosch (the Chairman of I. G. Farben) shared the Nobel Prize in chemistry."

>> No.1881974

>>1881865
because jews lie about everything

>> No.1882012

>>1881643
On a large scale the cost vs sell wouldn't make sense but for home use it would.

>> No.1882017

>>1881659
If the supply chain was interrupted it would become viable. A few years back gas prices soured in the US and this recent virus scare are just something to think about.

>> No.1882025

>>1881643
This is bullshit. Hitler didn’t even want war. The Third Reich was far more successful prior to the start of the war in their objectives. If you’re going to use jewish lies, at least use the ones that are plausible.

>> No.1882128

>>1881608
I used to do a lot more reading on Permaculture related stuff and IIRC these kind of things aren't very efficient uses of wood. It may be more feasible to make biochar or design some cool steam engine (there's neat little go-kart designs on youtube using converted pressure cookers into small lawnmower engines).

There's also methane production using pits of biodegradable material like compost and grass cuttings -- you make a concrete pit, seal a bladder over it with a valve into a tank and you can passively collect methane gas (I think it can be used similarly to propane)...but again, I don't recall it being that efficient.

Nonetheless, good thread for discussion and ideas.

>> No.1882169

>>1882025
>Hitler didn't even want war
Where the fukk do you get your information?
Who the fukk started the war, then?
Also, whether or not Hitler wanted to go to war has nothing to do with what I said. Germany was weak at the start of the war, due to the worldwide economic depression, and the Treaty of Versailles. They got stronger through occupation of resources. If France at all bothered to stop them before they gained momentum, Hitler would have died a nobody.

>> No.1882191

>>1882169
>Where the fukk do you get your information?
/pol/ has this argument daily, and apparently tons of them believe Hitler was a good man who wanted to take care of the Jews. Don't respond to him again, even though he will post nonsense over and over. Facts and history do not matter to them.

>> No.1882607

>>1881643
>So many countries HATE the U.S. and Saudi control of oil that if you could make petroleum products from wood, SOMEONE WOULD HAVE FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer%E2%80%93Tropsch_process

>> No.1883216

>>1881910
>I won't invade the middle east for fuel instead I will try the impossible and try to take the vast lands of Russia+ soviet republics.

>> No.1883235

>>1882191
>Hitler was a good man who wanted to take care of the Jews.
but this is absolutely true, he was a great man and he did l he could to take care of the jew problem

>> No.1883410

>>1881608
>>1881608
photosynthesis - approx 1% efficiency
(real) photovoltaic - up to 20% efficiency
Ergo you need a fuckton of land for a given yearly energy output.
Using trees for fuel is dumb. Using edible crops for fuel is even more dumb.
Use more efficient means of converting energy, leave fertile land for food and forest, you can't survive without those. You can survive without a car/truck.
A gassifier is one of the most useless ways of powering a car. There's a very good reason they quickly went away after the war.

>> No.1883428

>>1881608
Waste of time and effort. The US will have fuel (it's not hard to make crude petrol and backyard refineries are a thing) but I don't need it because I have a manual water pump. Unlike OP I have the equipment and skill to build a gasifier but spending my day looking for shit to gasify and having to convert an engine to run (poorly) on that shit wouldn't be worth my time in SHTF when I can barter my skills instead.

>> No.1883447

>>1883410
Wood has the advantage that it's essentially carbon neutral. The carbon you burn is the one the trees absorbed from the air. Instead of pumping up carbon that was safely tucked away for millenia from the ground and adding it to the air.

>> No.1883449

>>1883428

The only reason its not economical to sell moonshine gasoline is law and taxes. Making three barrels of oil today passively is more then you can make yourself probably.

But by all means believe in the "arbeit macht frei" meme. While your bosses buy the means of production.

>> No.1883455

>>1883410
Its not just fuel. All the products gasoline can make. Which is too many to count. Probably a solid 40% of the shit in your house involved gasoline in the process. Not counting fuel

>> No.1883493

>>1881608
This shit is retarded.
If you want to make your own fuel, ferment some ethanol and learn how to remove the water from it

>> No.1883503

>>1883493
Yeah im sure there are mountains of processed sugar laying around the post apocalyptic wasteland

>> No.1883520
File: 2.00 MB, 371x331, 1504673089825.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1882025
>Hitler didn't even want war

>> No.1883568

>>1883503
You can ferment basically any grain, fruit, whatever

>> No.1883640

>>1883568
Can I ferment your mom's pussy juice?

>> No.1883690

>>1883640
That's fermenting on its own thanks to her yeast infection.

>> No.1883732

>>1883640
Honey works too.

>> No.1883851

>>1881608
>turns wood or coal into gasoline/kerosine/diesel/lubricants/rubber/gun powder/fertilizer/plastics/etc.
use plastic instead, it's the same shit only better

>> No.1885795

>>1881865
They were on the way, but then other stuff happened with potentially catastrophic consequences, that required immediate attention more than possibly running low on oil products for another half to full year.

>> No.1886956

The highest cost in micro syngas production is "labour".

You can literally sell syngas as bootleg lpg

>> No.1887707

>>1881643

Exactly. When they reoccupied the Rhineland, Hitler ordered his troops to retreat at the first sign of French military intervention. The French sat it out, and Germany kept pushing its luck until they did get opposition (by then it was too late to stop the Germans).

You actually can make petroleum products from wood, but not efficiently or cost-effectively. Germany had chronic shortages throughout the war, stemming in part from a lack of oil, but their corrupt and inefficient fascist economy didn't help.

>> No.1887711

>>1881608

It's a useful technique to know, but hardly a basis for your survival strategy. Work backwards from the yields to figure out how much wood you will need (or sugar for ethanol) on a continuing basis. Shits not practical unless you have access to a LOT of wood, and then you have to work out the energy and labor to harvest the wood.