[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 79 KB, 800x600, milwaukee-vs-dremel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1883545 No.1883545 [Reply] [Original]

I need a rotary tool for some of my projects. I am invested in Milwaukee M12 tools and their batteries, so I was initially going to get their rotary tool but reviews are pretty split between good and garbage, with a large amount of people having failures and malfunctions with light use. Anyone on /diy/ have an opinion on what is the best rotary tool? Also opinions on corded vs cordless?

>> No.1883546

>>1883545
I'd always buy corded for tools used rarely.

>> No.1883565

People who hate on rotary tools breaking tend to misuse them. If you overwork a machine it's going to break. I still see people expecting a rotary tool to replace a power drill, sander, bench grinder, and cutoff saw. The motor and spindle in these things are not designed for heavy workloads. You strain the motor in these things too much and they will burn up.

That said, I have a Dremel 4000 and have had nothing but luck with it. I'd had a cordless dremel and a Wen rotary tool previously. The 4000 has been nothing but reliable. I mostly use it for light cutting, grinding, and sanding work.

>> No.1883590
File: 334 KB, 3000x494, PRO28480_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1883545
proxxon is the best imo
better build quality than dremel but doesn't cost more
but if you have real money to spend and want something professional there's nothing better
than those old school dentist style ones with a big hanging motor and long flexshaft

>> No.1883591

>>1883545
I got a craftsman corded one I picked out of the trash doing a moving job 5 years ago.

>> No.1883616

I bought the milwaukee in ops pic, it broke almost immediately. The dial doesnt work, and you have to turn it on/off by plugging the battery in with the switch on... havent had time to warranty it.

I wouldnt recommend the milwaukee...

>> No.1883622
File: 235 KB, 1500x1500, FD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1883590
>hanging motor and long flexshaft
You mean like foredom?

IMHO the best tool is the one that is good enough to do the job and not a bit better. Also one which has parts and accessories. Even with the best build quality batteries have limited cycles, so do switches, motors etc especially in dusty environment. High quality luxury tools often require long time pre order with shipping price of the tool itself, while shitty prosumer bosch will have most parts in stock for peanuts.

>> No.1883643

>>1883591
well is it good
would you recommend buying one?

>> No.1883650

>>1883565
Or just get a real die grinder that has some power instead of the Dremel shit.

>> No.1883676

>>1883545
I got an old Dremel 285 from an estate sale for a couple of bucks last week. It is a good tool but depending on what you're gonna use it for, and considering that Dremel in the OP is like $100, I would get something like a Rotozip and a flex shaft. More power. More uses. More durable. More jobs you can do with it. I have an no old Craftsman branded Bosch Rotozip style kit that came with the flex shaft, router attachment, cutoff wheel attachment, and other accessories. Plus it has LEDs that light up your work area. I have used it for everything from carving pumpkins to mounting to a board with a hole drilled into it for a makeshift router table/barrel sander with a tootsie roll sanding drum. I doubt a Dremel could possibly be as versatile, and mine has a 5.5 amp motor with variable speed 15,000-30,000 RPM. I even put a 1" knot brush in it and used it to clean up old cast iron pans and shit instead of using air tools.

>> No.1883704

>>1883643
I have an old craftsman from just before the turn of the century, still going strong, never felt a need to replace it.

>> No.1883710

>>1883616
I got one too. It still works fine, but something is badly balanced in it so it vibrates and makes more noise than it should.

>> No.1883712

>>1883622
yes every time i see someone using a rotary tool for extended periods of time they will have this style, so there really must be something to it
i agree that good enough is all you need, but i don't see how you would really need specific accessories for a rotary tool besides the tooling bits which are universal
and in the days of online shopping and amazon parts availability isn't really a concern, at least to me

>> No.1883742

>>1883710
>>1883616
Sounds like they really are garbage.

>> No.1883754

>>1883676
I also use a Rotozip but hadn't looked for a flex shaft. The collet kit fits Dremel bits and the motor is much more powerful than my Dremels. The Rotozip spanks the Dremels hard.

Little batteries don't suit what I do with tools so while I have much love for my cordless angle grinders (which are still not for sustained use but I have corded grinders for that) I choose corded on everything smol.

For intermediate I tapped a Jacobs chuck to 5/8"-11 (you need a lathe or drill press to drill and tap accurately enough but it takes little time and the result is so insanely handy I'd pay a shop if I had to) to fit my angle grinders which gives me a corded or cordless (depending on the grinder) right angle die grinder that kicks ass. I also have a Milwaukee 5196 heavy die grinder but the Jacobs + angle grinder solution is the most versatile of my handheld grinders.

>> No.1883815

>>1883754
>For intermediate I tapped a Jacobs chuck to 5/8"-11 (you need a lathe or drill press to drill and tap accurately enough but it takes little time and the result is so insanely handy I'd pay a shop if I had to) to fit my angle grinders which gives me a corded or cordless (depending on the grinder) right angle die grinder that kicks ass. I also have a Milwaukee 5196 heavy die grinder but the Jacobs + angle grinder solution is the most versatile of my handheld grinders.
At work we used like 3/4" bar stock cut about 4" long with one side that threads into a Milwaukee grinder and the other end threads a DA sander pad. We finish sheet metal this way. It's like a die grinder with a 4.5" or whatever pad. You have to be careful what direction you grind around edges though, it will catch and kick like a mule. Paired with 60 grit purple 3M ceramic pads it tears through some carbon steel. The D5 Caterpillar has a good that comes into the shop from Spartanburg Steel. Those lazy niggers never de-bur their dies so I have to grind like 1mm of steel from the side of the hood where the CAT logo goes. Shit's retarded. And management is too Jewish and stupid to pay me to go up there once every month or two to do it myself so the gouges just get deeper and deeper.

>> No.1883924
File: 135 KB, 800x800, HTB1qYqycEz.BuNjt_bXq6AQmpXaq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bought this one for $40
It works fine, but the lowest speed is too fast for the brass wire brush.
All the other bits are working fine at any speed.

>> No.1883934
File: 757 KB, 1704x2272, original[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Buy a real flex shaft
>Attach it to a 1/2 HP motor on a stand with a reduction pulley
>Grind wherever the fuck you want for as long as you want

I wish they still made these. I saw a smaller Craftsman model at an estate sale for $50 once that had already sold. If I knew then what I know now I would have tried to buy it.

>> No.1883939

>>1883934
Why don't you just make your own, queermo?

>> No.1884109

>>1883545
I have 3 rotary tools, between them:
>Parkside (LIDL cheapo in-house brand) cordless 12V rotary tool
Very cheap and cheaply made, not very powerful, but it's the one I reach for the most often. Have a chuck on it so swapping tools is quick and easy, and most rotary tool jobs don't (shouldn't) require a ton of power.
>Ferm corded ~300W rotary tool (more cheapo brand than Dremel, but better than Parkside)
Decently powerful, but since it's corded, I literally never use it, at least not since I got the cordless one.
>Makita 18V rotary tool
Super powerful, use it reasonably often, but if you include batteries it costs 10 times as much as the Parkside. Impossible to use for small parts so it's no replacement for the small rotary.

>> No.1884258

>>1883712
speed control.

>> No.1884359

>>1883742
i have a Milwaukee Rotary Tool too, works flawlessly every time i use it, higher RPM and more comfortable in the hand than the 12v Dremel version. balance issues may be due to the size of the batteries being used, a larger M12 6.0ah battery is a lot heavier than the basic 1.5 CP battery.

>> No.1884463

>>1883815
>Spartanburg Steel. Those lazy niggers

Sup fellow Souf Cakalackiebro! I worked in workforce training for my local community college and we had courses to teach adults how to use a tape measure. Continental Tire had such a severe scrap problem they placed one million dollars worth of wastage on pallets on the shop floor to get the point across. Good place to work though and the dindus provide job security for maintenance. (I don't work there but my bro who did gave me a personal tour.)

Those pads you use are also an official 3M tool. I fucking love their abrasives and stock up at liquidation auctions. Walter (look for the orange) are another great brand.

>> No.1884470

>>1884109
>makita 18V rotary tool

Dude that’s not a rotary tool, that’s a die grinder. I mean, yeah, on the surface it’s the same thing in that it just spins a grinding/cutting tool bit, but it has all that power for doing things like porting cylinder heads.

>> No.1886444

Get a Proxxon or dremel or standard die grinder.
You don't get accessories for the rest of them

>> No.1886446

>>1883565
How about making getting replacement parts as easy as buying a sandwich...there are literally 10s of dremel 395 with totally different guts.

>> No.1886517

>>1883565
>People who hate on rotary tools breaking tend to misuse them.
I'm starting to think that's the case. After reading this thread and doing more research I have found it isn't just the Milwaukee rotary tool that gets these reviews it's nearly every rotary tool I look up. They are all filled with reviews saying
>>I USED IT ONCE AND NOW IT WON'T WORK!!1!!1! JUNK!!1!
I am guessing that most of these reviewers are setting lofty expectations for their rotary tools, trying to use them like a die grinder.
>>1883650
I don't really need something that powerful. I am going to use the rotary tool for detailing and sanding of small handheld plastic parts. It will involve quite a bit of material removal, but all plastic/euerthane. I don't really do much metalworking and I want something that will still give me dexterity. Think arts and crafts vs manufacturing.

>> No.1886792

>>1883815

the antagonistic hydra of the world has many heads but two main ones. and those are kikeism and niggerism

>> No.1886801

>>1886517
>I don't really do much metalworking and I want something that will still give me dexterity. Think arts and crafts vs manufacturing.
Just add a normal flexshaft (it's no problem as long as you don't turn up the speed too much).
It's much comfier than those cordless things.

>> No.1887268

>>1883545
Go to a carboot sale and pick whatever you like for pocket change