[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/diy/ - Do-It-Yourself

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 74 KB, 700x700, dac4b44fa08b3ed2d334540405e2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
1940371 No.1940371 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

I bought some beakers, 250ml, 500ml, etc. The lines all stop short of the max volume printed on the side. Why do they doe this? How do I know where exactly 250ml or 500ml is?

>> No.1940374

these are highly inaccurate. For more precision you would need measuring cylinders

>> No.1940383

>Why do they doe this?
Because the capacity measurement is for filling the beaker to the brim (for the smaller ones there, at least), while the scale on the side is for rough measurements while actually using it for something. Practically speaking, filling it to the brim will spill stuff everywhere when handled, and the top of the scales there leave a good margin.

>How do I know where exactly 250ml or 500ml is?
Use actual measuring equipment.

>> No.1942220

So you aren't encouraged to overfill it and spill shit.
Weigh the liquid and do some math.

>> No.1942508

This, imagine you have a 250ml beaker and you have to fill it to the brim, not practical.

>> No.1942518

>How do I know where exactly 250ml or 500ml is?

You fill it to 125ml/250ml twice, dipshit.

>> No.1942532

It's called a graduated cylinder

>> No.1942545


>> No.1942899

During manufacture, the beakers need to be released from the mold, which means the beaker circumference will need to be wider near the top.

>> No.1942920

It means that's the total capacity, not the functional capacity. Just like a 16 gallon shop vac will only hold about 14 gallons before it stops, or a 5 at saucepot should never be filled to the brim with 5 quarts of food. Don't be a retard, it's just a way to tell them apart.

>> No.1942925

You generally use these for holding solvents or solutions when the actual volume isn't that important i.e. if you require 100mL of ethanol, you would pour enough ethanol into a 250 mL beaker, and then use the beaker to carefully pour 100mL ethanol into a measuring cylinder/volumetric flask to measure an accurate volume. The alternative would be attempting to pour the ethanol directly from the solvent bottle into the measuring cylinder which you would likely spill all over the bench

>> No.1942933

we used reagents in the milli liter tier, these beakers are used to fetch an excess of solvent or other BS.

graduated cylinders have more accuracy, and that's just for rapid titrations

everything else gets micro pipetted

Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.