[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 134 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3578372 No.3578372 [Reply] [Original]

You girls always mention starting with tradition art before moving on to digital.
Is there any real reason for this beyond pseudoscience?

>> No.3578401

>>3578372
not from me, op. depends entirely on what you envision your end-product to be like. Are you a webcomic cuck? buy an ipad. You want to be some sort of game industry whiz? Buy a cintiq. You just want to improve general artistic sense? Buy a pencil and paper. Not because I'm going to shame you for wasting money. No. because its a minimal, macgyver-like mental challenge. You have a stick that makes lines with graphite and some tree pulp. Can you make art with it? How far can you go?

>> No.3578402

Consider it takes a long time to produce anything worthwhile, a pen/pencil and some paper is a miniscule investment versus buying a tablet.
Non screen tablets require you to rely on muscle memory since you can't look at your hand, it's easier to get that muscle memory drawing traditionally.
Also many/every digital painting/drawing program emulates/simulates functions and behaviors from traditional media. You'll have a better understanding.
Basically, starting on digital is handicapping yourself.

>> No.3578405

Other than what anons mentioned up, traditional art has more material value, because it's an unique piece. You can do more bucks selling traditional stuff online than prints. It's how comic artist make most of their money

>> No.3578409

if you've ever been to Twitch creative section you'll see tons of people abusing the undo function. Pencil and paper provides a more hands on and kinetic drawing experience than a tablet will. Suffer through the experience of erasing lines on paper and you will see faster growth on your line confidence and accuracy.

>> No.3578413

>>3578401
>"You have a stick that makes lines with graphite and some tree pulp. Can you make art with it? How far can you go?"
>"How far can you go?"
sounds like some shounen manga shit. I like it.

>> No.3578430
File: 103 KB, 450x253, tumblr_lzghcnAXUr1r2g7mto1_r1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

go digital if you want to fuck around with a kid's toy while being endlessly stuck in the low skill tiers. you will never make art, but you will have nice cartoons for an inflated, overpopulated market where people can't even give their product away for free.

>> No.3578437

>>3578405
this

people get rreeeeally possessive over physical art. their eyes light up and shit, they'll be asking for it before you're even finished.

Meanwhile digital you get people asking for free work way more often.

Actually, yeah. If there's anything one can confirm between the two, it's that trad still gets more respect. It's just other artists that bicker about either or.

>> No.3578440

>>3578372
Just buy an intuos for 70 bucks and see what you think?
I just doodle on paper with a ballpoint pen til I was 21. I went to digital to spare myself having to constantly buy pens, markers, pencils, and paper. Not to mention I didn’t need to own a scanner to get crisp scans when I was finished and wanted to share my work. But if you wanna stick to traditional a 60 dollar scanner wouldn’t be a bad investment either.

>> No.3578447

The reason I suppose isn't psuedo science as much as it is psychology- when you draw analog you have no undo, and if you draw with inks, you have no eraser. It forces your brain and your hands to focus and makes you think about where you place your lines. You gotta make that first line count. It honestly teaches you control and forces you to understand forms faster than other types of study. Draw a box has a longer dissection on this subject I believe, and it convinced me.
Also, analog limits you and you have to research how mediums are meant to be used and what they're used to create. They teach you technique and skill. Digital kind of doesn't. You can always find brushes that emulate their analog counterparts and try practicing those same techniques but generally
What you learn to do in analog translates to digital much easier than vice versa.

Other than that- I always say go with what you think you'll be using more in your career. Does your future in art need you to work in traditional media? Then do it. Can you do it just as well in digital? Then go digital!

>> No.3578464

>>3578372
I feel sad for jazza, he is in a residual state of damnation because he matured and learned to animate during the flash cartoon era of newgrounds.
Sad.

>> No.3578467

>>3578464
why would you feel sad for him? he's very successful.

>> No.3578482

>>3578372
I can't explain it but it's a proven way of doing things and it works pretty good. It's just advice though, you can do whatever you want, man.

>> No.3578485

>>3578372
Develop both simultaneously.

>> No.3578621

>>3578372
Traditional art just feels more intuitive than digital.

>> No.3578623

just draw

>> No.3578662

>>3578372
because you're going to give up on this like you give up on everything, no sense wasting too much money

>> No.3579539

>>3578464
He's rich af though. He can afford to live in Melbourne

>> No.3579548

I don't think this question deserves a thread so I'll ask it here. Does digital art ever stop feeling like trash? I can draw at a mediocre level traditionally and got a drawing tablet to animate, but it feels awful. Is there something I can do to make my drawing skill translate to digital so I can make neato movies?

>> No.3580006

>>3578372
Try doing Ctrl+Z with traditional....

>> No.3580013

>>3578372
>be new at art
>don't know if you like it yet
>be a fucking retard and buy an expensive tablet for $500 or up
>turns out you barely use it

This has happened to more than 3 people I know, and I laugh every time I think about it.

>> No.3580015
File: 2.93 MB, 3019x3855, 187. this dude.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3580006
this.

>> No.3580125

>>3580015
Please, if you're going to shitpost your paintings constantly, check your values. I've never seen someone fuck up their value keys so much in portrait painting. Looking at that mouth is infuriating

>> No.3580187
File: 46 KB, 1024x370, glass-house-kalady-ernakulam-glass-dealers-2gybx8k.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3578372
do you want to do linework mostly or painting?
if you want paint going this route:
>traditional paints on glass, take a picture if you like what you did, then wipe and start anew
>when you feel you are ready for the next level, buy a tablet
if you are more of a linework tip of guy go this route:
>get a stack of paper, an electric sharpener, some B-10B pencils, some colored pencils and an A4 drawing lightbox, don't even bother with erasers for a while
>when you feel you are ready for the next level, buy a drawing monitor

bonus tip: if you are painting you start from afar and get closer as you work, you start with big shapes and end with small ones, you start with low values and end with higher contrast ones
if you are drawing you start from close and go as far from the subject as you draw, start with high contrast and use lower contrast as you go farther away in

and in case you don't know: high contrast= very black blacks + very white whites, low contrast= blacks are a slightly blacker shade of grey, whites are a slightly whiter shade of grey

>> No.3580195

If you want to be 100% digital all the time just go digital.

I find, however, that skills you learn traditionally translate into digital better than skills you learn digitally translate into traditional. Your digital workflow could be good and you'd still be utterly worthless at traditional art, but if your traditional workflow is good it's usually not terribly hard to apply that digitally. There'd still be a learning curve for handling programs but besides that the transition is just easier one way than the other.

Digital is also generally more forgiving, which is nice but it also can give you a habit of being a little reckless, whereas artists experienced with traditional mediums (especially ink) tend to be more deliberate.

>> No.3580897

>>3578372
If you actually want to look like Jazza, by all means. I'd rather kill myself but whatevs.

>> No.3580902

>>3578372
>pseudoscience

>> No.3581937

>>3580902
Yeah?

>> No.3582046

>draw on paper
>scan
>finish digitally

Bam, solved your problem.

>> No.3582093