[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 29 KB, 760x506, Go-Game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11975281 No.11975281[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here play go? What's your rank? Do you play competitively? Part of a club? Share your stories and if you have an advice/recommend readings for a beginner I'm all ears.

>> No.11975287

The last time I played GO was on my gameboy against the lvl 5/8 AI.

How is this /jp/ related btw?

>> No.11975292

I don't play Go, but I'm making a Go website for a class. Finishing the report on it atm.

>>11975287
its super popular in japan, china, korea etc

>> No.11975295

>>11975287

I was gonna try /tg/ but they hate chess. I think they hate go even more because it isn't western. I'll try /sp/ if this gets pruned for being too Japan/General

>> No.11975320

I'm 2 dan in Europe. I've played competitively for three years now, though I haven't been to EGC yet.
When you are a beginner, the most important thing is to play a lot. Don't play slow games (30 minutes + 30s byoyomi) but rather faster games like 10 minutes main time with 20s byoyomi.
If you have a go club in your area I really recommend visiting them, people who play go are more often than not happy to teach and play games with you.
There is a /jp/ group on OGS but it's rather dead, I recommend playing on KGS.

>> No.11976146

>>11975281
4kyu, how about you?

>> No.11979311

I've won every game of go I ever played.

Then again, I was mostly playing with people who wanted to bone me, so they might not have been at the top of their game, gameplaywise.

>> No.11984352

i played for a bit at a club in my school but then couldnt make the meetings anymore

i really want to get back into it though

>> No.11984388

>>11975281
>Anyone here play go?
Yes.
>What's your rank?
KGS ~3k, AGA ~1k
>Do you play competitively?
No, I used to, but I like to take it easy.
>Part of a club?
Yes.
>Share your stories
We have a That Guy at club. He's about 60 years old, acts like a 6 year old. You know he thinks he's completely lost the game when he starts playing self-atari in the hopes that you won't notice.

A different guy threatened to murder me and settled for flipping the board because he thought he was hot shit and I was able to disabuse him of the notion. This was at an official tournament.
>and if you have an advice/recommend readings for a beginner I'm all ears.
Play 9x9 until you recognize self-atari. It's quick and you can get it over with quickly.

Practice reading with tsumego. Some sites:
http://www.goproblems.com/
http://gochild2009.appspot.com/

Don't play go programs too much while you're learning, they all have awful style. Ones that use Monte Carlo Tree Search will teach you about sente though.

>> No.11987431

This game would be easier if I were a superior Nipponese.

>> No.11991486

i went to the go club in my town once.

and only once.

like about 3 maybe 4 guys who seemed more interested in playing against each other and having me, the new guy, just watch. also they tried to throw a lot of info at me about life/death patterns, showed me several patterns to watch for and said "you should memorize these".

but no one offered to play me a game. not even a quick 9x9.

i wanted to PLAY. i'd played 9x9 against a couple of go programs and even on the easiest settings they kick my ass so hard i get discouraged and bored. i wanted to play against a human being who could cut me some slack and, you know, TEACH me a little. and not by watching/memorizing, but by doing.

i never went back to the club. i'm still somewhat interested in the game but i never play.

>> No.11993646

I use to play it in class at high school. I did not realize it was "go" until recently. My friends thought me and called it "tochki" or "dots." We played on grid paper, and I became the best player in my class.

I'm tiring to get into chess now.

>> No.11999108

>>11975295
I go to /tg/ occasionally, and I'm quite sure they're fine with chess. Also the few times go was mentioned they were fine with it too.

It's popular in China (where it's called weiqi) and Korea (not sure what it's called there) too so I don't think it really belongs in /jp/ any more than /tg/.

>> No.11999110

>>11999108
than in /tg/*

>> No.11999117

I don't but I liked Hikaru no Go

>> No.11999161

I tried playing Go with that one web client a few years back but there were too few resources and too many good players to really learn. It would be cool if we could get a novice group going.

>> No.12002260

>>11999108
You haven't seen an actual chess thread there. They hate anything with rules.

>>11999161
>I can only learn how to play from people who don't know how to play
What?

>> No.12009264

I basically only play on anime conventions, since they usually have a go room (sometimes with mahjong or even shogi). Actually, I won a beginners' competition once, but only a few people actually -play- it. Lots of people there only played it that day and joined because why not. So it's not much of a feat. And I don't feel like I'm good enough for a normal tournament, even on a convention level.

Also, I really could pay my local club a visit.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action