[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 372 KB, 700x980, 1625884176091.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
36163163 No.36163163 [Reply] [Original]

What is your favorite 2hu mainline game?
The classics like EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF and SA are discussed to death and get tons of fanart.
But do some of you prefer newer titles? Before playing the game, I never even heard of any DDC character despite being in the fandom for years.

>> No.36163179

>>36163163
UM's got the rogue-like fun, and with cards I can even challenge hard mode, I'm not really one for picking/maintaining favourites though.

>> No.36163201

>>36163179
UM is fun and has lots of replayability value.
On that note, I enjoyed seeing multiple perspectives in PoFV. Getting to replay the game with every character was a fun gimmick.

>> No.36163560
File: 977 KB, 736x1040, Vector Spectacle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite game actually is DDC. I know it's probably not the 'best' game in the series, but I personally like it a lot. The gameplay is fun and the gimmick with the point of collection encourages being aggressive with item collection and rewards skill at the stages with lots of resources. The soundtrack is very underrated and has some really great tracks such as the Extra Stage theme and Stage 5 theme. Really, I think a lot of the stage themes in the game are great (not that the boss themes are bad or anything.) The game has a lot of cool and unique shot types, and even though some of them are pretty bad (Hakkero Marisa I'm looking at you...) that's to be expected with variety. People might say DDC leans too much into the gimmicks, especially with things like the controls getting flipped and your hitbox changing size, but I liked them and found that they never overstayed their welcome.

>Before playing the game, I never even heard of any DDC character despite being in the fandom for years.
I find this strange to hear, since I would expect you to have, at the least, heard of Seija and Shinmyoumaru. Not only do they appear in other games like 14.3 and the recent fighting games (not mainline, but still), but they are decently popular in the fandom. It may not be for everyone, but I know, for instance, there's a lot of yuri doujinshi with Seija and Shinmyoumaru. This includes Vector Spectacle, which I think is probably the best Touhou manga out there and is generally centered around DDC. I could probably gush about just Vector Spectacle and why it's so great, but this post has already gone longer than I wanted.

Anyway, the newer games are definitely worth playing if you've played the original games and enjoy them. A lot of them are more in the direction of having gimmicks or weird things, but that's okay. As somebody who has played games like EoSD and IN for years, I appreciate the effort in changing things up and find that more often than not it ends up for the best.

>> No.36163606

>>36163560
>Hakkero Marisa I'm looking at you...
You mean DARK SPARK Mari? I thought that shot type was good? It's the only one that clicked with me.

>> No.36163756

>>36163560
DDC and LoLK are too hard for my current skills so I haven't really gotten into them.
EoSD, PCB or IN are way easier to get into, so I guess it'd be natural that they're more popular as well.

>> No.36174795

>>36163163
Favorite?
I don't know.
LoLK has a fun feel to it in addition to great music. It's a game I find myself going to if I look to Windows Era 2.

>> No.36174840

PoFV is my favorite just because I'm god awful at normal shoot em up games, and I enjoy the multiplayer features.
Everyday I yearn for another game in that style, I want to see the newer characters and how they'd play. Not sure if ZUN would have enough time to make another one now though, but going by UM I have hope he's willing to try it with his newer engine stuff.
I love TD as well but less for gameplay and more of atmosphere and music. It's got a good mix of Japanese and Chinese aesthetics and the music feels sounds (to my musically untrained ears) electronic compared to his other tracks he's made which helps it stand out more. Also Miko is handsome.

>> No.36183181

>>36163163
I love IN, I think it is the one that adds the most story to the canon and the universe in general.
ZUN said he fucked up and gave a lot more details to the story than what he planned to do that is why I believe it is one of the most discussed games.

>> No.36183193

Why is this thread auto saging itself?

>> No.36183205

>>36183193
Weird now it works.

>> No.36183276

>>36183181
Kaguya's story was so good that ZUN expanded on it with LoLK.
What I really like about that game is that it has two final bosses and requires multiple playthroughs to really see everything.

>> No.36190385

>>36163606
I don't know, I personally don't like the shot type. I feel like you have to get way too close to the enemy to get enough damage to make it worth it. It's very risky, but doesn't give you enough reward. Gohei Reimu does a lot of damage too, but safely, and Marisa's other shot type has a bomb that's absolutely broken once you get used to it. Seriously, it often generates more than a bomb of resources when you use it right, and it trivializes parts of the game. I feel like Dark Spark is just bad in comparison, even if it is cool.

You liking it means that it works for some people, which is a pro of having variety in shot types. In some games I feel like things are just too samey, especially with shared bombs

>> No.36203728

>>36163163
SA desu

>> No.36220546

Mystic Square

>> No.36220938
File: 100 KB, 600x448, 14-53-42-03a5a7b1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>36163163
I started playing Touhou ocasionally in 2011, only to entertain myself without learning nor trying hard, so I can only beat the games in normal. My favourites are Perfect Cherry Blossom and Ten Desires, I may add Touhou 18: UM next year (if I continue to love it so much, could be hype). I bought most of Zun's music CDs, best are Neotraditionalism of Japan and Magical Astronomy. Look at the physical design of Neotraditionalism of Japan, is fucking cool and elaborated, it literally shines in my room.

>> No.36223895

>>36220938
Nice purchase. Haven't even listened to it yet.

>> No.36233261

>What is your favorite 2hu mainline game?
My favorite is Perfect Cherry Blossom, not because of the gameplay/gimmick, but because of the theme and atmosphere of the game. From a pure gameplay perspective I would say UM.

>But do some of you prefer newer titles?
I enjoyed UM the most past SA, then LoLK. I haven't played TH 16 and 17 yet though.

>>36163560
Are you that guy who used to do manga reviews? Just a shot in the dark here because I don't know anyone else who creams over VS that much. Thanks for recommending Ibarakasen, that was a great read.

>> No.36246473

>>36233261
>I haven't played TH 16 and 17 yet though.
How?

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action