[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 432 KB, 655x517, dandypreview11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7148858 No.7148858 [Reply] [Original]

I just played this game today. Heard /jp/ made it.

Frankly, i struggle to believe /jp/ could make OC of this caliber, if any at all.

Was it a fluke? Will something even just remotely comparable to this be ever made again? Or do you plan to indulge in vapid moe/touhou discussions in between faps until your ballsack pubes turn white and your dicks stop getting hard?

I'm asking you, /jp/, produce me another serious visual novel.

And stop discussing bullshit, no one really cares about which anime bitch you fapped to the most this month.

tl;dr: /jp/ visual novel is cool. I want another.

>> No.7148862

You should read Katawa Shoujo and The Fucking Question if you want more high quality VNs made by /jp/.

>> No.7148895

>>7148858
Hey, I hope you know that the story itself isn't original at all. It only has a couple of rewritten parts.

>> No.7148900

>>7148862

Get out KS devs

>> No.7148916

Fuck off and die.

>> No.7148932

>>7148895
I did, and i enjoyed the KS demo a lot. As copy of japanese visual novels it does its job exceptionally.

>>7148862
Thanks, but i know. This doesn't mean another deep and engaging story can't be written for the sake of creating a great visual novel.

Dandy girl proves that school scenarios and japanese anime conventions aren't really necessary to make a great VN in the first place.

>> No.7148944

>Or do you plan to indulge in vapid moe/touhou discussions in between faps until your ballsack pubes turn white and your dicks stop getting hard?

I thought that was in the contract.

>> No.7149020

Honestly though technically anyone could make a simple vn in powerpoint and people would watch using google docs.

With some vb/java knowledge you could even make branching paths, multiple endings, etc. Why don't we make more of that?

>> No.7149047

>>7149020

Because the problem isn't lack of tools. It's lack of writing and/or artistic talent and interest.

>> No.7149056

>Dandy girl proves that school scenarios and japanese anime conventions aren't really necessary to make a great VN in the first place.

You're a fucking idiot.

>> No.7149094

>>7149056
I think there is enough interest and tools (ren'ai etc), especially in /jp/, the sacred den of the wapanese.

I believe what's lacking is the resolve...

>>7149047
And you're just background noise.

>> No.7149103

>>7149094

mixed up the numbers~

>> No.7149120 [DELETED] 
File: 938 KB, 767x851, self-insert protagonists.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7148862
KS is made by a team that originated from /a/ but is mostly disconnected from anything 4chan these days.

I wouldn't hold up The Fucking Question as a good OELVN. For a parody, The Best Eroge Ever is better...but even then, it's only silly parody.

>>7148932
>Dandy girl proves that school scenarios and japanese anime conventions aren't really necessary to make a great VN in the first place.
Let me copypaste a post from elsewhere that I made in response to the claim all VNs are cliched high school romance stories with protagonists lacking any personality only existing for self-insertion:
>No, you're just listing the most common tropes. If there is money to be earned, the most common kinds of works will always be the kinds of works the audience wants the most. Hollywood has a lot of shitty action flicks, shitty comedy and shitty romance movies because PEOPLE LIKE THAT. There are still gems everywhere (try saying with a straight face that Inception is a shitty unoriginal action flick).
>
>As for VNs, here's my list of VNs I've rated 8+:
>Ever17 - No school setting, non-generic protagonists
>Remember11 - No school setting, clearly defined protagonists
>Umineko - No school setting (okay, one or two scenes in ep2), clearly defined protagonist
>Clannad - Guilty on all charges regarding setting and structure, protagonist has some personality but self-insertion still quite possible
>Fate/stay night - Uses high school setting, but does not at all focus on it. Clearly defined protagonist
>Higurashi - Middle/High school used in radically different way from the usual cliche, clearly defined protagonists
[continued]

>> No.7149129 [DELETED] 
File: 728 KB, 1280x960, high school setting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

[continued from >>7149120 ]
>Chaos;HEad - High school but nearly no focus on it at all, clearly defined protagonist (to the point where people started to hate him)
>G-Senjou no Maou - Guilty on high school setting, clearly defined protagonist
>Kira Kira - High school setting not as much used as in the cliches but still used a lot, protagonist has some personality but self-insertion still quite possible
>999 - No high school setting, blatant self-insert protagonist
>Narcissu - No high school setting, blatant self-insert protagonist
>Saya no Uta - No high school setting, non-generic protagonist
>True Remembrance - No high school setting, somewhat generic protagonist
>
>As you can see, there's plenty of VNs out there that don't conform to the 'high school slice-of-life romance comedy' stereotype. Yes, there are more VNs like that around than there are more unique VNs, that's because of customer demand. But even if there's a whole lot of generic crap out there, that doesn't take away the fact that there's gems among them.

>> No.7149161

You want something and WE have to do it? Here's a thought, how about you go start it on your own first.

Also your understanding and exposure of VNs seems to be SEVERELY lacking.

>> No.7149167

>True Remembrance - No high school setting, somewhat generic protagonist

BLACKIRIS IS MY HUSBANDO

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

>> No.7149191

>>7149094
Motivation.

Someday I'll make a VN. Someday soon. Like, maybe next month.

>> No.7149263 [DELETED] 

>>7149191
Starting to make a VN is easy. Getting anywhere, or even completing it, that's the difficult part.

>> No.7149288
File: 205 KB, 1600x1200, saya no uta - 005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149129
>>7149120

Is that the common opinion? That's completely opinionated and doesn't take in consideration any sort of sociological tendency or industry mentality, while pretending to explain both with few lines and some dubious examples.

It's ridiculous as most of those examples do have school settings. It's completely subjective to say "not so much" or "just few scenes". It's poor sophistry...

Plus, it even misses the point. No one ever pretended that ALL of the japanese VNs are based on high school settings, as there are thousands of them!

My point is simply this: good writing, good music and good art are enough to make a good visual novel. I am stating something that should be obvious. The possibilities of visual novels are the same as those of literature, extended thanks to music and art.

It is the ultimate form of creative art and it doesn't need japanese culture to be great. Dandy Girl is an example of it.

My first objective here is to point out that visual novels are often mystified as something strictly connected to japanese culture and language, while there is no reason to do so.

tl;dr: that is true, but still proves my point. A good VN doesn't need to be related to japanese culture or industry tropes, not even marginally.

>> No.7149289

>>7149120
>Chaos;HEad
>8/10 or above
NOPE

>> No.7149292

>the day /jp/ stopped being a den of wapanese faggots
February 30th?

>> No.7149297

>>7149288
>visual novels are often mystified as something strictly connected to japanese culture and language

I'd say you're the only one here that thinks that way, you're preaching to the choir you twit.

>> No.7149304

>>7149288
>A good VN doesn't need to be related to japanese culture or industry tropes, not even marginally.
your opinions are fresh and exciting

>> No.7149312
File: 23 KB, 640x480, true-remembrance-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149161
English isn't even my first language. I am certain i could be useful to a VN project in more than a way, but i am not deluded enough to believe i can make a great VN alone.

/jp/ produced what i consider a great VN and work of art (no matter how short it is), so i'm sure it can do it again, and perhaps even better.

Indeed VNs lack exposure, but making good english VNs is the only way to gain such exposure.

>> No.7149315 [DELETED] 

>>7149288
>It's ridiculous as most of those examples do have school settings.
Only 7/13 out of those have any school location at all, and Umineko has only one or two scenes relating to a school, total, so 6/13 if you count anything where a school shows up more than once.

>> No.7149319

>>7149292
that's just a joke

>> No.7149337

>>7149315
Okay. Only half of them.

>> No.7149340

>>7149312
Right, so you're saying that cause you think you're not capable of doing something you shouldn't even try and instead just ask someone else to do it, cause you know, they've done it before.

Hey man, you're one of us.

>> No.7149347

It would be interesting to see a VN with a Western setting and culture in english.

>> No.7149359

>>7149347
Everything except the last part has been done before.

>> No.7149370
File: 46 KB, 750x600, anonymous-delivers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7148858

Katawa Shoujo D/L page:
http://katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

The Fucking Question D/L page:
http://www.renai.us/game/tfq.shtml

You're fucking welcome.

>> No.7149380

>>7149370
>Western setting and culture
Oh do tell then, because I simply can't remember.

>> No.7149381

>>7149297
i'm not preaching yet, but stating what the current situation is out of /jp/, in general.

I came here to discuss this exactly because i need the choir if i want to "preach" to others.

Furthermore, i'm trying to understand what people on here really think about it.

Fapping to anime moeblobs is fine and dandy, but i'd rather play good visual novels with engrossing plots without having to learn moonrunes, wait for masochistic translators to do the work for me or actually browse through hundreds of school settings to find something original, at last.

>> No.7149398

I have been working with a group on a project for a while. I am not sure if anything will come of it in the end though.

>> No.7149402

>>7149340

I'm posting on /jp/, i never said i'm better than anyone on it.

I can work on a VN, but i want VNs to become part of western culture, which can only be achieved my getting other people to make them as well.

>> No.7149407

All You Zombies should be the next /jp/ project.
I mean, it's got:

Time travel
Becoming the little girl
and
Self impregnation

Just add some bullet hell dodging minigames and then it's covered every /jp/ topic.

>> No.7149418

>>7149398
Whether you succeed or not, it will still be valuable experience for future projects.

>> No.7149437
File: 579 KB, 1057x1523, 1298360823923.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Chaos head
>8+

>> No.7149462

Eh, it will happen sort of through touchscreen phones.

Text. Picture. Stories.

If you really wanted to market the concept, that's where I would go with it.

Visual Novels, in and of themselves, aren't exactly a new thing. It's just a choose your own adventure book with pictures to music.

Or its just like RPG conversation screens from 1990s games set to choices, with a bit of narrative thrown in.

There's nothing revolutionary about the medium. It works REALLY well for some stories. It's not at all necessary for others.

It seems to work best with any story that needs parallel universes or time travel or alternate worlds to make sense. That's probably the best use of the medium.

Beyond that, there's no need to propagate the medium just for its own existence. It's there for the stories it needs to be there for.

What actually matters are Stories. They can be in any medium. Accompanying them with big eyed girls and voiced lines doesn't tend to increase their quality, if anything, it lends to mediocrity.

>> No.7149465 [DELETED] 

>>7149381
Give up on /jp/.

This place is not about VNs nor Touhou. Just a bunch of kids fapping away their time.

Oh and the occasional useful threads are not by regulars, but from outside people.

>> No.7149464

Aren't the Dandy Devs working on some original mystery VN?

>> No.7149495

>>7149465
That actually makes a lot of sense...

In any case, I've always wanted to work on a small project with my limited artistic ability just for the experience but never thought about trying my hand in a VN. Sounds like an interesting idea.

>> No.7149499

One thing i've noticed is that (despite how it seems) it's really not that hard to come up with an interesting and original premise. This is what gets people excited in doomed collabs and gives the illusion that a good VN can be easily done.

But a story needs to be more or less completely planned from beginning to end, otherwise it's just convoluted garbage, or reduces the project speed to a snail's pace as the writers go "HNNNG what to write" every other scene, losing the patience and interest of everyone else involved.

It's these irritating exercises in failure that put most people off starting and following through with a project.

tl;dr I would neither join a project as an writer, nor try to start one of my own until at I see a complete outline of an even halfway decent story. But such a thing is rarely seen, and anything less is probably a doomed waste of time.

just my two cents

>> No.7149502

>>7149464
Considering that their old site is gone, I doubt it.

>>7149407
All You Zombies involves the very _opposite_ of becoming the little girl, actually.

>> No.7149503

>>7149381
>anime moeblobs
>school settings
and
>good visual novels with engrossing plots
>something original
Are not mutually exclusive.

>>7149462
>Visual Novels, in and of themselves, aren't exactly a new thing. It's just a choose your own adventure book with pictures to music.
This isn't true, even if there are similarities between the two.

>> No.7149526
File: 173 KB, 1000x600, KS Heroines.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Katawa Shoujo VN intended to release this year

>> No.7149535

>>7149499
Very much agreed. Writing is the foundation to VNs, and without a complete story, the whole VN would be shallow and, as you said, convoluted.

The problem is finding the right person for the job. I have a whole bunch of ideas but my writing sucks(as demonstrated in this post). I speak 3 languages but am not a master of any and it fucking sucks.

>> No.7149611

>>7149462
I disagree. "Visual Novel" is a perfectly distinct and unique medium in itself.

A story like "The Dandelion Girl" was given new life and depth by being ported to such medium...

>>7149499
That's interesting. I'm still confident it's possible to make a good VN with feasible effort, though. Perhaps the projects you worked on were too large in scope?

A short game like Dandy Girl is the way to go for starters, imo.

>> No.7149625

>>7149288
Sorry, I left /jp/ for a couple of hours.

>And you're just background noise.
I apologize for being curt, but I didn't think you were actually serious. Dandy Girl doesn't "prove" anything. I'm not saying that it's bad, but that there have been plenty of "original" (to use your definition of the word) visual novels ever since the medium began to get popular. Have you ever heard of YU-NO? Nobody thinks that visual novels need Japanese school settings to be good; that's simply your strawman to portray us as ignorant wapanese.

And, for that matter, there are plenty of great visual novels with school settings. Having a novel setting doesn't automatically mean it's good; just look at Kikokugai.

>> No.7149631

>>7149499
Be your own writer and artist.

>> No.7149658

>>7149503
You're right. It's just a generalization.

>> No.7149672

>>7149611 A short game like Dandy Girl is the way to go for starters, imo.

I think what he's saying is that in a group setting, you need to clearly have the story laid out in order for the project to progress smoothly because once you hit a road bump, the chance the project coming to a complete halt and never becoming tangible increases dramatically.

Of course this doesn't apply to one man projects. However, I'm a firm believer that the writing has to be done first regardless, though this is just my way of doing things.

>> No.7149672,1 [INTERNAL] 

/jp/ doesn't load. I'm going back to sleep, can somebody post my message?

>>7149502
http://lycheesoft.wordpress.com/
Dandygirl writer is working on mystery VN.

>> No.7149672,2 [INTERNAL] 

Hopefully /jp/ being down will drive out of the terrible posters tonight.

>> No.7149682

>>7149625
I know, i got fired up about those examples of lack of originality. It's just common sense that an overused setting or concept can be good if used properly.

Unfortunately it being overused makes it harder to be original with it. Japanese VNs have a lot of such concepts, models and more generally preset tropes. As someone said, they make the games sell.

Any industry will naturally try to squeeze every last drop of value from a popular product or concept, after all.

YU-NO is a perl, but i'm making a distinction here, between japanese VNs and western VNs. I want to play more western ones, or rather, more VNs free from the japanese industry tropes, which naturally would make me hope for more original, unbound content and exploration with the new medium.

Anyway i'm off for tonight. Thanks for your opinions guys.

>> No.7149672,3 [INTERNAL] 

>>7149672,2
Don't get your hopes up, they'll be coming back sooner or later either way.

>> No.7149672,4 [INTERNAL] 

>>7149672,3
I don't understand why they keep coming day after day. It's not even worth making a snide and witty reply anymore, let alone getting upset over.

>> No.7149672,5 [INTERNAL] 

>>7149672,4
It's certainly not worth getting upset over but for some reason I keep letting it get to me.

>> No.7149683

>>7149502

>> No.7149684

Doing a favor...

>>7149502

>> No.7149685

The Dandelion Girl writer is currently working on an Umineko rip-off VN:

>> No.7149691

Does this All you zombies vn I keep hearing mentioned have to do with Heinlein's short story?

Because that I could be interested in as long as its not a static redo of it

>> No.7149702

Dandy girl writer is writing a mystery novel

>> No.7149727

>>7149702
The new character artist is much better. Episode 2 looks promising.

>> No.7149729

>>7149683
>>7149684
>>7149685
>>7149702
what the hell?

>> No.7149735

Wait, what was the Dandelion girl writer working on?

>> No.7149741

Most OELVN are inspired (or directly rip off) Japanese visual novels anyway. Acting like they're somehow superior when they're trying to imitate and emulate Japanese visual novels is silly.

>> No.7149743

Dandy girl devs get out.

>> No.7149744

Whoa this is still going on? What about the rest of /jp/ project VN ideas?

>> No.7149763

I'm working on my own VN. However, as I keep on going it becomes less and less of a VN and more of an adventure game. And that makes figuring out how to program it more of a pain, but I'm enjoying it.

>> No.7149764

>>7149702
Waitasecondthere

The writer of Dandy Girl was the guy who wrote Dusk?

>> No.7149770

Dandy Girl is not an original story, I think I remember it is an adaptation of a novel and that guy merely wished to turn it into a VN. Not that I find anything wrong with that. I remember playing the very first Dandy Girl VN, complete with MS paint pictures and royalty free music. :3

>> No.7149772

>>7149770
Correction, not a novel, a short story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dandelion_Girl

>> No.7149774

The art was from ok to fugly, the story was taken from a novel and the only excellent song was cold funk. It was a lot of fun and very much on the spirit of what I'd expect of /jp/ but far from earthbreaking.

>> No.7149776

>>7149770
If they acknowledged where they got the story from in the credits, I'm ok with this.

>> No.7149779

How long was dandy girl?

>> No.7149784

>>7149779
Quite short since they didn't deviate much from the source material.
It's okay, otherwise it would feel over stretched. But you'll be done with it in an hour or so.

>> No.7149791
File: 7 KB, 640x480, credits_11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149776
It was.

>> No.7149817

/jp/ project has nothing to do with /jp/, and the only reason Dandy girl didn't suck that much (they actually ruined the emotional part with their over-kawaii sprite) was because it wasn't original story.
Their original VN plot was so full of good old facebook american normalfaggotry that even KS devs with their misdirected elitism look like cool guys in comparison.

>> No.7149859

what a great thread, i wish we could have more types of discussions like this on /jp/

>> No.7149974

>>7149859
Indeed... that's why I decided to not post in here despite the urge since I have a thing or two to say in this subject matter... don't reply, I'll delete my post as soon as it's archived in the easymode site...

>> No.7150013
File: 362 KB, 803x790, 1272454991768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Moetron is getting a full length VN

>> No.7150023

>>7150013
There is not enough why in the world to express my reaction to this

>> No.7150024

Is it ok for short VN to not have music

>> No.7150038

>>7150024
Then it's just a book with pictures

>> No.7150098

>>7150024
don't see why not, but you might as well just put in free license music

>> No.7150104

>>7150024
If you've actually tried looking for some and failed, sure.

>> No.7150110

>>7150024
No

>> No.7150122

They're called Visual Novels, if it was a Sound Novel then it'd be a travesty to not have music

>> No.7150135

still waiting for it

>> No.7150136

Why are they called Visual Novels instead of something that made more sense?

>> No.7150140

>>7150122
That's just I don't even know how to put it in words how stupid that is.

>> No.7150146

>>7150136
Since when have Japanese known how to properly use English words?

>> No.7150271

>>7150013
oh god what the hell is this thing

>> No.7150288

>>7150271
It is the Moetron 3000, sent into the past from the post-apocalyptic future in order to destroy all otaku scum and save the human race.

>> No.7150291

>>7150136
The Japanese don't actually call them visual novels. Well, they call some of them visual novels, but only the ones that are actually visual novels. All the other shit they call stuff like Adventure games or other random fucking shit they have a billion fucking genres can't make up their fucking minds.

>> No.7150334

I'm working on a VN with some people.
The first time you'll hear about it is when it will be done.

I guess there are more projects like this going on somewhere, so yeah.

>> No.7150388

>The Fucking Question
That was made by /jp/?

>> No.7150390

>>7150388
more like by our resident onion smuggler.

>> No.7150394

>>7150390
>onion smuggler
I wish I had a title like that.

>> No.7150400

>>7150394
Me too. Well, at least a better title than fag.

>> No.7150423

Someone really should make "Sussmanashi no Naku Koro Ni" more than a joke. It could be so awesome.

>> No.7150433

>>7150291
Do you have something against categorizing?

>> No.7150458

I was wondering for some time, is there an easy way to create backgrounds like the one in OP's pic from regular photographs?

>> No.7150473

>>7150423
I remember seeing some doujin adv about python ages ago. Not quite the same but it was close.

>> No.7150476 [DELETED] 
File: 2.09 MB, 1600x600, comparison.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7150458
Yes. Use filters in Photoshop or a similar program (such as the free GIMP).

Here's a comparison between an original photograph from Flickr and the background used in /jp/ Manor. It's done using GIMP's Oilify filter with 8 for both values.

>> No.7150489

>>7150458
>>7150476
Yes... but I suggest you use this instead... it produces better results...

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?p=126474#p126474

>> No.7150497

>>7150489
>>7150476
Great, I will try those.

>> No.7150537 [DELETED] 
File: 304 KB, 692x1317, real is brown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7150489
Style 1-3...

>> No.7150705
File: 88 KB, 282x359, 1300781249145.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hi guys,

I haven't read/played a single VN.
Now I want to read either Higurashi or Umineko, but couldnt find a working torrent. Most of the time torrents dont work for me either cause i live in a third world country known as Thailand

Help please?

>> No.7150721
File: 651 KB, 969x1211, DSC_18708_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7150489
Holy shit. This is awesome.

>> No.7150744 [DELETED] 
File: 394 KB, 640x480, kyriegun.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7150705
You can download the first episode for both Umineko and Higurashi for free.
Umineko at http://witch-hunt.com/stage0.html
Higurashi at http://www.sendspace.com/file/q2lmtp
After that, you can buy Umineko from Amiami (then use Witch Hunt's patch for translation) and buy Higurashi from MangaGamer (download version, no patch necessary).

>> No.7150748

holy shit this thread

MAXIMUM TROLLING 10/10 would read again

>> No.7150756

>>7150721
You should manually blur out artifacts once you're with the filters/actions.

>> No.7150759

>>7150744
Awww, I need to buy them?

>> No.7150766

Hey /jp/, I'm thinking of writing a VN, but my idea pretty much leaves me with only the main character and the main girl. Do you think it could work?

>> No.7150765 [DELETED] 

>>7150759
No, you can get the first episode for both for free. It's longer than you'd probably expect. I don't mean episode as in anime-length, Umineko and Higurashi's episodes are complete stories by themselves. VNDB currently states Umineko's length to be 'Very long (> 50 hours)', and that's four episodes. So on average it's more than 10 hours per episode.
But yes, if you want more than that, support the author of the VN by buying it. He can only write full-time because people buy his works.

>> No.7150770

>>7150766
If you were a good writer.

But you're not a good writer.

>> No.7150768 [DELETED] 

>>7150766
Yes. If you want to make a VN yourself, make sure not to start small. You'll definitely fail if you start with a large project.

>> No.7150775

>>7150770
>Good writing
>Visual Novel

Pick one

>> No.7150783

>>7150768
Yeah, starting small was the plan. And I'm not even going to bother thinking about art assets until I've got at least the full plot outline done and half the game done, otherwise it'll get nowhere.

>>7150770
I completely agree that I'm not a good writer. Better to doubt your writing and have people like it more than you expected than to get a huge ego and declare shitty fiction as better than Tolkien.

>> No.7150789

>>7150783
A good idea can make up for lack of writing talent, in my opinion. Just put yourself in a reader's shoes and try to think about your game objectively, why would anyone want to play this, and so on.
Please don't try to make the next Umineko or Ever17 from the start.

>> No.7150791

>>7150759

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=67105

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=151200

>> No.7150793

so where can i download dandy girl? google isn't being friendly.

>> No.7150806

>>7148858
It was almost a miracle that Dandelion Girl was actually released in a somewhat playable form (the final release is really more of a beta if I remembered correctly); if you one had checked out the /jp/ project forums, one could see that progress was very staggered (with the exception of regular 'motivational' art updates from the artist) and the time frame very disproportionate to what it should have been given the length of the original story.

There are many talent artists, musicians, programmers, and writers that frequent /jp/ (as one can gleam from the weekly/bi-weekly OC threads), so the raw talent is not missing. But what is lacking are people with strong leadership/coordination skills; people who have enough experience in all these fields to serve as a director of sorts; people who can motivate and build morale when things are looking tough, so as keep the core group together. Everyone only has so much (so little) time to spare; these would be the essential people that would convince them that their time and effort on the project is being well spent.

And this is where projects tend to falter (specifically on /jp/), because of it's strong egalitarian nature tends to frown heavily on any sort of strong individual presence (I refer to you to Exhibit A: The Tripfag). Even though I think most people would understand that a strong leadership position is needed, they still shy away from it for fear of social ostracization; and they may even feel obligated to dogpile on any other who dare do so, to conform to the social norm on /jp/.

>> No.7150815

>>7150806 Cont'd
Going back to the topic of motivation: what exactly is /jp/'s - or rather, the /jp/er's -motivation for making a VN? Surely it's not for money, given how small the market is (not to mention how piracy seems to be the norm on the internets for how one acquires a commercial VN). For literary/artistic acclaim? There is still on-going debate about the literary worth of the VN medium (though /jp/ is definitely leaning towards "not so much"), but let me point out that even then OELVNs come in at the very bottom of the VN food chain. For popularity's sake? Get out KS Devs.

What about simply for the sake of accomplishment alone? For having been a part of something larger than yourself and having come out wiser and more learned for the experience; something that you can look back in a few years and genuinely be proud of it at some level. I feel that this is the angle that prompted the /jp/ project, the Warehouse project, #jp-devel, the /jp/ Manor project, etc. But without leaders and motivators, the momentum almost invariably muck up into a snail's pace after the initial enthusiasm and huff puff, and quite often to a full stop later on.

Anyways, this rant has gotten too long already so I'll stop here. But hopefully, you'll have a clearer understanding of some of the issues that are holding back slews of VNs being pumped out by /jp/.

tl;dr - I'm not so good at these, sorry.

>> No.7150816

>>7150793
http://edmichaels.wordpress.com/visual-novels/

>> No.7150820

The only reason Dandy Girl wasn't a complete pile of shit aside from "kiiilllll meeeeeee," which I think was intentionally melodramatic was because the guy who wrote it is a real, PUBLISHED writer and not some autistic /jp/ fag who's never read a real book.

I think he gave up after receiving 0 support from anyone and started rewriting his VN as a novel.

>> No.7150831
File: 145 KB, 850x575, 1220050991798.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7150705
WAAAAAAIT...... IS A VN BASICALLY A DATING SIM?

>> No.7150846

>>7148862
I saw you on /a/ today KSdevs, fuck off

If you want a good VN play OMGWTFOTL

>> No.7150849

>Was it a fluke? Will something even just remotely comparable to this be ever made again?

Dandelion Girl is pretty old though, and that /jp/ barely seems to exist anymore. At the moment it's more like /b/ 2.0 with a slice of Touhou spam.

Every time someone tries to start something creative these days it gets drowned in shit from the get go. The writer of Dandelion Girl was or still is working on something else though like a murder mystery. However he doesn't seem to post on /jp/ anymore either.

tl;dr Nope. /jp/ is in no condition to produce anything.

>> No.7150850

http://at2006.haeleth.net/game.php?id=5

Superior.

KSdevs can come again when they FUCKING MADE A SEQUEL

>> No.7150852

>>7150820
>I think he gave up after receiving 0 support from anyone and started rewriting his VN as a novel.
What? Last I heard he was saying something about making a doujin group and surfed /jp/ neurotically.

>> No.7150857
File: 72 KB, 702x751, 1220052235861.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7150489
>DO THE PHOTOSHOP ACTION BACKWARDS
>MAKE ANIME CHARACTERS BECOME REAL LIFE

>> No.7150864

>http://archive.easymodo.net/jp/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_username=the
+lion&search_tripcode=&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=rel

>> No.7150867

>>7150852

I think he tried to, but, like I said, got 0 support. He's a pretty good writer, but a crappy leader, unfortunately.

It'll be interesting to see some light novels by him, since his paper fiction is actually better than his VN shit.

>> No.7150890

I'm alive, actually.

I still lurk a lot, I just tend not to post much.

>> No.7150892

I've had ideas for a VN for a while now and I've been writing for a little bit. I'm no where near the sharing stage but who knows where it'll go.

Once I do get to that point, I'm not entirely sure if it would be a good idea to share it with jp. I would definitely have a full plan out by then so it would only take a few motivative individuals to get anywhere, after the warehouse project I'll never attempt one from the group up again with people.

The question is how many people would actually be interested on working on a real project I'd hope to see to completion. To bad it'll take at least another month or two to get that far so who knows how bad /jp/ will be.

>> No.7150896

http://edmichaels.wordpress.com/fiction/

Apparently he released the DG side story earlier this month. Neat.

>> No.7150904

What happened to Dusk?

>> No.7150917
File: 317 KB, 653x516, screenshot6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7150904
Heard there was a setback.

>> No.7150925

>>7150890
And I'm that new artist. I lurk often. I'm having an art block for months even though there are deadline approaching. That's why shit is slow.

>> No.7150961

ITT excuses everywhere

>> No.7150966

>>7150961
Ouch. That burns.

>> No.7150973

>>7150896

Finished DG Side Story just now. Wasn't too bad. But where are my fucking ullstrations god damn it?

>> No.7151005

>>7150961
Op here

that's harsh, but the overall mood is indeed that of "people in /jp/ can't do shit if it requires more than one person working at it, so we aren't even going to try anymore"

I understand that it's difficult to organize a team for the sake of making something not immediately profitable or rewarding, and that 4chan's equality is an obstacle to conventional development methods... but this doesn't mean it is impossible.

If we stop giving up at the first roadblock, eventually something good *will* be produced. Just like Dandy Girl.

No matter how different this board is nowadays, people are always the same, and this thread has had a lot of mature and insightful opinions in it already.

Indeed, the only brake here is the lack of resolve.

>> No.7151094

>>7151005
It's easy to be able to talk that idealistic shit when you're removed from the process. Instead of asking what /jp/ can do for you, how about offering something back instead of just cheap talk?

>> No.7151100

http://lycheesoft.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/a-letter-from-josef/

What is this supposed to be, exactly?

>> No.7151116

>>7151100

I think it's TIPS.

Seriously.

>> No.7151146

I can't tell whether this thread is full of genuine curiosity or full of trolling. But I'll bite the hook anyway I guess.

As for the Dusk project, I'm not sure where it's going at the moment. I haven't gotten much support (I wouldn't say 0, but my staff is pretty slim and most of the people are uncooperative/lazy, though not all) so it's been pretty staggering. Like someone said earlier in the thread, I'm just a writer, not a leader. Some of the people who browse /jp/ know me in real life, unfortunately, and they can testify to that...

Anyway, I do plan on writing the mysteries as a series of light novels. The novels will be relatively short. I don't have much (ie: any) money to hire people to do work on a timeline, so my resources are limited. I'm probably going to publish them through an order-website (only prints copies when requested) and use that money to contract people for other projects. I'd still like to make a VN, but the task is simply too big for me to handle on my own. I can't program, write, grab music, test, etc. all on my own.

I'm flattered to hear people enjoyed and still enjoy Dandy Girl, though. Although some stuff happened while I was writing it and progress was slowpoke.jpg I had a lot of fun doing it and the people I worked with were competent.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I hate using a tripcode. I have more porn to write.

>> No.7151161

on a semi-related note, Jegus fucking Christ can the Ren'Py documentation be any more fucking vague about most of the functions in the language. Tell me fucking where to use these fucking functions instead of just listing them off and expecting people to know where to put them!

>> No.7151164
File: 26 KB, 704x396, 912874891748917824.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7151146

>she thinks /jp/ reads real books

>> No.7151173

>>7151161
Not to mention stuff just being un-documented entirely...

inb4 someone says something like "Ren'Py is faggot tier" without offering any explanations or alternatives

>> No.7151194

Here's a pretty good (unfinished) OELVN that I think a lot of people have forgotten about but also wasn't developed enough (and seems to have been abandoned) for others to take note of it.

http://summerhousegame.blogspot.com/

>> No.7151220

>>7151194
Didn't you made a thread about it yesterday?

>> No.7151227

>>7151161
>>7151173
Well... I too ran to those problems especially the new screen system which slowly replaces the classic functions... right now the only real way (for a non-programmer) to learn them is to actually steal a few codes from finished projects and see them in action, dissect them and modify to suit your needs...

http://studiomugenjohncel.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/renpy-screens-despite-being-easier-to-use-and-way
-way-more-flexible-so-how-come-learning-them-is-somewhat-a-pain/

Well... you really can't blame Renpytom for the documentation which I believe he did his best to make the documentation as easy for beginners as he can possibly... I mean he already done more than enough for the VN community by making Renpy and VN making accessible to many...

>> No.7151242

>>7151005
>No matter how different this board is nowadays, people are always the same

No, that makes no sense. People change and the board is defined by the people browsing, and moreover, the people posting.

The sheer volume of posting has increased since those times, where you used to be able to leave a thread for a while and still find it alive later, you run the risk of it passing page 15 overnight now. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the quality of posts.

This is an example of more people actually meaning less productivity, and it would require a lot more work to organize a project here now than it would have two years ago.

>> No.7151274

>>7151220
I didn't make a thread but if it was made yesterday it's not in our current thirteen pages...

>> No.7151340

>>7151274
http://archive.easymodo.net/jp/thread/7149165

>> No.7151427

>>7151242
is the problem really how long a thread is gonna stay up on /jp/?

It's stupidly easy to just setup a generic free forum or IRC channel for people related to development to communicate.

You know making an account on a forum or a nickname on IRC isn't really gonna kill anyone's anonymousness or /jp/ allegiance.

People are always the same. Just because the tone got faggy on a board, it's a matter of tendency, not "cool people" being replaced by "newfags", which is just a myth. There were, there are, and there will be both trolls and serious talented people as long as these boards live, because there isn't a difference between the two in the first place.

It's all a matter of few people getting serious about it, and having the resolve to make something others will enjoy and appreciate.

>> No.7151585 [DELETED] 
File: 43 KB, 300x400, hm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

By far the biggest problem in /jp/ projects is anonymity.

When you start a project, people you know absolutely nothing about join the project. Since /jp/ is an anonymous board, you cannot judge whether or not a person is reliable. You just have to trust them.

And, of course, you can't trust everybody. Normally, you put "pressure" on teammates to finish their shit in time (for example by setting deadlines). Since your team knows who you are, you can't just not finish your work. This is different when there's anonymity: If you ever lose motivation, you are completely free to slack off or even abandon ship whenever you want, with no consequences whatsoever, as nobody knows who you are. For this reason, you can't put any serious pressure on teammates, as they could just leave the team. Since most of /jp/ is lazy, we need pressure to get shit done, which is impossible in this situation.

I'm a perfect example of this laziness. I was able to finish /jp/ Manor chapter 1 in a week because I set a strict deadline for myself. I released it as 'NeverEverRemember', a name nobody knows. I could just leave at any moment, and nobody could do anything about it. Without a deadline, work on chapter 4 is progressing extremely slowly (don't worry, it will be finished at some point). Meanwhile, I manage to finish all of my college projects in time without fail.

There's just nothing stopping you from stopping work on a project, and that causes projects to fail.

>> No.7152607 [DELETED] 
File: 316 KB, 800x600, ss02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just played Summer House for the first time. Stuff's pretty intense, although it's a bit too nonsensical.

>> No.7152621

Why does this thread even exist?

Its existence is an affront to everything good in this world.

>> No.7152651

/jp/ is actually the best board on 4chan, but it tries to convince people it's the worst.

>> No.7152678

>>7152651
Nah it really is the worst.

>> No.7153052 [DELETED] 

Bump.

>> No.7153056

I want to write and draw a VN but I don't have the time/skills to complete one that is of good quality.

I think I'm more used to managing projects really, so I feel fuckall useless for this kind of thing. Unless people want a project manager/leader?

>> No.7153102 [DELETED] 

>>7153056
I have bad experiences with people who can only manage/lead projects. They usually are terrible leaders.

>> No.7153125

>the day /jp/ stopped being a den of wapanese faggots
This is the day /jp/ turned to utter shit.

>> No.7153137

>>7153102
Indeed, a good leader may not be an expert, but he/she ought to be at the very least quite familiar with what the underlings are doing...

>> No.7153160

>>7153137
>>7153102
Oh, I'm quite familar with the whole drawing writing aspect so I would be able to help out those aspects but it's just I would rather be backup on those and do a bit of management instead. Keep everyone motivated you know? I'm sure everyone knows how lonely it is being a staff of one...

>> No.7153167

/jp/ doesn't make fucking VNs, it just so happens that some people who make VNs go to /jp/.

Stop trying to indulge yourself.

>> No.7153180

>>7153160
Are you prepared to wear nothing but an apron and carry around a huge kettle of lemonade/iced tea/Kool-aid for when people get dehydrated.

>> No.7153263

>>7153125
that was a joke~

>>7152621
You must feel pretty satisfied now that you called shit a thread about the production of cooperative OC, aka the best thing that can possibly happen on 4chan.

Feel free to go back to posting copy-pasta and overused reaction pictures on /b/ now, trollfag.

>> No.7153268

>>7153263
Reported for insuiating that White Ren-sama goes to /b/.

>> No.7153278

>>7153160
Don't take all the inferiority complex bashing seriously... remember you're on 4chan, getting others down is the main activity here.

If you can do what you said you should do the extra step and actually organize a project from the get-go.

Start with finding a good writer, after that you're basically set...
Lion said he/she actually lacked a team, so you could propose helping him out in finding one. That's also an important aspect of management.

>> No.7153286
File: 225 KB, 1024x768, 1299885423933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7153263
>Feel free to go back to posting copy-pasta and overused reaction pictures on /b/ now, trollfag.

How can I go back to doing something I've never done?

>> No.7153302
File: 341 KB, 800x1000, 17669136.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7153286
How embarrassing, I seem to have posted an image of that shitty slut Mami when I meant to post an image of the superior Homura-chan.

>> No.7153308
File: 714 KB, 1240x1240, 1300432369621.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7153302
I don't think so, criminal sion-chan.

>> No.7153315

>>7153308
This kind of post is no better than the /b/ bullshit that retarded accused you of posting. I hope that you are aware of that.

>> No.7153325
File: 205 KB, 1024x768, 1299202459297.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7153315
>that retarded accused you

Also, you're trying way too hard to fit in.

>> No.7153327

This thread is still alive? Seriously?

>> No.7153337

>>7153325
Is that the best you can come up with? How disappointing. Are you too ashamed to assume your own legit shitposting?

>> No.7153346
File: 503 KB, 1000x1414, 17597594.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7153337
You're obviously new to /jp/ if you think I have an ounce of shame in me.

>> No.7153349

>>7153346
>me

>> No.7153350

>>7153346
I just want you to admit about your own shitposting when something like that happens _again_ instead of simply the same "that was just another fake-kun".

>> No.7153361

>>7153350
The only time I point out that it's a fake is:

a) when it is; and
b) when it's an especially retarded statement, such as liking homura, or trying to make arc or sion-quality statements

I'll do it more often if you appreciate my efforts so much.

>> No.7154325

>>7153327
yes and now there is also our own personal little fag spamming it!

Seriously though, it's because people have intereset in the topic...

>> No.7154359

>>7153327
I think it's gonna die anytime now, anyway

>> No.7154724

>>7154359
Unless some idiot keeps bumping it.

>> No.7154736

This was posted earlier, it was good.
Nice day again

http://www.mediafire.com/?hddhc7w2xxjcmc2

>> No.7154743

>>7154736
Get out /seacats/ devs.

>> No.7154747

>>7154743
What the fuck are you talking about

>> No.7158279

>>7154724
I hate those kind of people

>> No.7158496

I have some ideas for a VN and I can draw but in the end, if I'd ever finish one, who'd read it? /jp/ hates english VNs and I hate the VN fanbase outside of /jp/.

>> No.7158517

>>7158496
>/jp/ hates english VNs
You didn't see the thread about Nice Day Again.
And in this thread, people still talk about The Dandelion Girl.
And if his author didn't lie, a lot of people seem interested by /jp/ manor.
etc.

>> No.7158702

>>7158496
op here still

JP hates english VNs?! No, jp hates VNs made by complete wapanese who treat making VNs like masturbation. AKA bad VNs.

Reading a visual novel it may seem easy or doable to make one, much more than a regular vidya, but in fact making VNs is something that requires both talent and a certain maturity.

Plus, since VNs are still in their infancy in the west there is no clear format or style to make them, unless you follow japanese conventions, which tends to make unnatural VNs as most of /jp/ wasn't born and raised in Japan. (by definition a wapanese doesn't really understand jp culture)

If you can make a genuine and pleasant work like dandy girl or katawa shoujo (this one simply follows the JP model almost perfectly, in my opinion), or even Nice Day Again, then i'm sure many people will appreciate your work, even though it may be very simple or very short.

>> No.7159015

As someone wanting to write VNs but not having played any (unless you count the Phoenix Wright games), what sort of story branching is most common? Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style branching story trees? Or continual stories where your choices earn you some sort of invisible points which get counted near the end to choose which ending you get?

I assume the latter is most likely the case in games with multiple girls to go for that don't outright give you a question that lets you choose whose story to go down, but what's most common otherwise?

>> No.7159030

>>7159015
Just go play some fucking VNs before you try and write your own.

>> No.7159044

>>7159030
I'm actually going to read some books instead, so my VN doesn't turn into a carbon copy generic slice of life school dating sim

>> No.7159046

>>7159015
It's usually something like this:

Common route:
Choices make minor story differences and add flags.

Then

Character routes:
Accumulated flags determine which branch you're set on. Flags continue to accumulate.

Ending:
Determined by flags.

Add some bad ends somewhere in there too if it's that sort of game.

>> No.7159054

>>7159044
Maybe you shouldn't make a "slice of life school dating sim" if you don't want something too generic.

>> No.7159059

>>7159015
I can't help much on this front, but remember the advice from this thread:

Small projects are betterand less likely to fail
Don't expect anyone to like anything
Read books not VNs for good inspiration
Don't even think about art assets until you're at least halfway done writing the game (unless you're making the art assets yourself as well)

>> No.7159107

>>7159046
cont

Some VNs have really interesting branching patterns that match their story, like Cross Channel and Remember11.

After Cross Channel's common route, the story starts to loop, so that if you get a bad "end," you just go back to the start of the loop. The protagonist had no consequences to worry about, and that extended to the player.

Remember11 has two locations with two protagonists whose bodies are switched every so often. If one of them dies, the other also dies once their bodies swap. This manifests as two routes, with previous save data persisting. If you get a bad end in one route and then play the other route, you'll get another bad end.

Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head barely have choices in the traditional sense. Instead, in S;G, the protagonist gets text messages that you can choose to reply to at any time by clicking key words. In C;H, you get to choose if the protagonist gets a happy delusion or a chaotic delusion.

>> No.7159168

>>7159059
>Don't expect anyone to like anything
THIS. If you have a sensitive ego, stop now before you even start. Unless you have godlike writing skills, for every person praising your work you're bound to have at least 3-4 denouncing it as shit, no matter how good it is. That's just how people are.

>> No.7159293

So what exactly was Lion working on, again? I think his birthday was yesterday.

>> No.7159698
File: 117 KB, 640x1056, choose%20your%20own%20adventure.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7159044
Read some Choose your own adventure novels, they're the classics of western canon.

>> No.7159735

>THIS. If you have a sensitive ego, stop now before you even start. Unless you have godlike writing skills, for every person praising your work you're bound to have at least 3-4 denouncing it as shit, no matter how good it is. That's just how people are.

That applies to submitting anything to the Internet. Photos, threads, whatever. If you can't take people complaining you are just setting yourself up for crying.

>> No.7159759

>Claim a game is a big step for visual novels
>It's another story redone as a VN

Um, ok...?

>> No.7159884

>>7159015
>not having played any
Do not write a VN. Get the fuck out and go read VNs. It's because of people like you that the OELVN scene is complete and utter shit.

My rule of thumb for any art is that you should make something you yourself would enjoy. You can't write a good VN until you discover what you like about VNs.

>>7159059
>Read books not VNs for good inspiration
No! Books are books, VNs are VNs. For pure inspiration, anything will do (including movies or real-life random happenings), but to get an idea of how to write what you want to write, read VNs, not novels. It's like saying you should read picture books instead of comics if you want to learn how to draw comics (replace "generic school life comedy" with "generic superhero action story"). VNs have many advantages over traditional novels, and novel-like writing is often not the best style for a VN. Play good VNs to discover how to write a good VN.

>> No.7160205

>>7159884
Not sure about this. While it certainly sounds right, i think you gotta all of these things, kinda.

Play some VNs, but be very critical with each of them, don't get ensnared by easy moe or cheap plot devices.

Then, read books. Compare the writing to visual novels and try picturing single scenes as they would be in a visual novel. It's important to understand the way VNs are different from pure literature, i believe.

>> No.7160307

>>7160205
Books: Characters, dialogue, plot
VNs: Structure, scene composition

>> No.7160379

Why limit yourself to just VN or novels? Do both.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action