[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

View post   

File: 1.42 MB, 1300x830, Shana_Wallpaper_by_Chank1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8943192 No.8943192 [Reply] [Original]

So, in lot of recent anime I've noticed the growing importance of female characters. Females are often visually well-made and their mind and motivation very well described, while their male counterparts are often dull looking, with the same constant black hair and weak, both physically and psychologically. Is it because these animes are targeted mostly at male population, so they "feel with the loser hero" or is it another phenomenon? I'm supposed to talk about this at a local con in few weeks so I was wondering what does /jp/ think about this? >pic related, it's a strong girl fighting with "evil" forces with her totally incompetent male friend. (well, not so much in later episodes)

>> No.8943216

A lot of anime have visually impressive and well-made male characters, too. Obviously if it's harem/ecchi type stuff the viewer wants to >tfw with the male protagonist, so he can't have too many distinguishing features. But in many action anime the male characters are given the same treatment as the female characters in terms of design.

>>>/a/

>> No.8943214

Because it's more fun to draw cute girls.

>> No.8943226

There's a long answer regarding the hero's journey, demographics, humble origins, character focus, and genre conventions

and then there's a short answer: Yes, you're right. Not for a reason you're likely smart enough to comprehend, but you're preaching it at a con so nothing of value was lost.

>> No.8943228

Never understood this.
If I wanted to seee a loser, I'd look at the mirror.

>> No.8943389

bump for interest

>> No.8943406

Look at this feminist dyke.

>> No.8943428

The loser hero with hardly any personality I'm guessing is supposed to be a boring cut out as a means to being a self-insert character, or maybe they're just there to grab an audience who is afraid of liking anime about cute girls.

Regardless I really would rather have them cut if the show could stand on it's own without one of these characters as a lead. It's an annoying trend.

>> No.8943432

Female heroes have more fans than male heroes because girls.

Some people theorize that the recent this is a more recent development is because anime has gotten more character-appeal-driven than story-appeal-driven.

Nobody actually gives a fuck, though.

>> No.8943437

Uhhh. Yuji was pretty cool in the last season.

>> No.8943475

It's called equality. There were decades where the best and most interesting characters were all male. Now they're trying to equalize things by making girls more interesting and appealing. Down the road this will lead to shows that have equally interesting and thought out male and female characters.

>> No.8943488
File: 47 KB, 340x355, 1334044113458.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only thing interesting about a girl is what her personality stereotype falls into (either reiclone, tsundere or ara ara) and what her hair shape/eye shape is. They're all "geniuses" and unbeatable "martial artists" anyway.

I want more saten clones.

>> No.8943522

>>8943475
Yeah, right.

>> No.8943536
File: 1.66 MB, 640x360, 1331435484442.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Little girls are more fappable than little boys. Little boys have tiny peepees. Little girls have tiny, tight little holes.

Come on, do I have to explain further?

>> No.8943538

>>8943488
Nobody cares about Saten enough to clone her.

>> No.8943533

Of course, no matter how incompetent the male is, he always saves the day and is the object of affection of every female character in sight, even if more interesting men are available. Even if the girls are "strong" they're only assertive as far as the tsundere archetype allows, but when push comes to shove they're all subservient to the male protagonist and rely on him for validation.

>> No.8943549

>>8943536
The things I would do to that squid.

>> No.8943543

>>8943432

He's still derived from an extremely shitty archtype.

>>8943475

>Down the road this will lead to shows that have equally interesting and thought out male and female characters.

Those already exist in series with out horribly written characters. Can't tell if you're trying to be ironic. If not I hope a nigger cock is inserted at "equal" lengths in both your throat and ass.

>> No.8943567
File: 177 KB, 500x600, 307554342f187396df1a78cb75baaa0e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I couldn't stand Yuji in the first 2 season, Satou was a much better character. Dude was massive faggot with no will to fight. He gets all the power ups and some dumb 3 way with Shana and the brown hair girl.

I want to cuddle with Wilhelmina

>> No.8943568

Because you don't watch or read shoujo, where the reverse happens. Or half-decent series (like CCS and FMA), where neither needs to happen and everyone is equally likable. But in cases where it happens, usually it's because of things below.

Loser protags irritate everyone but people can mentally shut him out as long as he doesn't do anything (and he usually doesn't) that will disrupt the show. And authors feel (wrongly or not) that there needs to be one character that is actually normal that the audience can connect with, even if he's pathetic. Sometimes this normalfag is a side character, sometimes he's the protagonist. If the watchers are mainly male than that character will be male. It's unrealistic to expect a normal highschooler to be an asskicking demon hunter and unfazed by the appearance of Shana and her co. So the protag is there to ask questions and be amazed as a normal person, not the source of charisma for the show. And a normal person is hardly a Hollywood action hero. I doubt anyone alive will do much better than the protag in Shana, for instance.

Watching the protag grow as the audience becomes more versed in the series can also be part of the experience. That's the theory. In practice, everything depends on your skill of crafting and developing characters, so even dull-looking characters in the right hand can become pretty interesting (see Hoshi no Samidare for instance). While a bad author can turn characters that are potentially interesting into complete shit (see Hidan no Aria, where the MC isn't a pushover but still shit).

>> No.8943609

>>8943549
Please tell us, I'm curious.

>> No.8943678

>>8943609
>Would love her tenderly

>> No.8945623

Bump for stupid op

>> No.8945660
File: 88 KB, 695x569, watching.1326857426929.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's Miyazaki's fault. Everyone else is just cashing in on the trend.

>> No.8945675
File: 15 KB, 275x300, 1284087506670.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> I've noticed the growing importance of female characters.

Still, something funny about that :
- 2D tsundere/ara ara/ect who are strong/intelligent/ect have a huge popularity
- 3D *modern* women who are strong/intelligent have not.

>> No.8945678

>>8945675
3D women are bitches without the soft side.

>> No.8945726

Japanese males are boring while females are hyperactive children on steroids. This is the REAL Japan.

>> No.8945769

>>8945726
Ans they mostly keep to themselves locked in their mom's basement 24/7

>> No.8945798

Who gives a fucking shit about men? For all I'm concerned they can just disappear.

>>8943228 this, but I'll extend it to that if I wanted to see a man I'd look in a mirror. I don't need anyone to "identify with."

I mean what I say, but If you want an explanation, males are often weak/ill-developed in order to bring out attractive parts of the female through interaction and allow the audience to focus on the girl they are watching the show to see. For example, a weak male character who's fawned over by a bunch of girls is there because a stronger, decisive male character who picked immediately wouldn't be able to let the creators show the girls as well, so to speak, because it'd just be done right away(or he'd be a lecherous bastard instead of a weak one, which also happens sometimes).

I don't know about people in the West, but the Japanese fans, on average, don't give a shit about the males. They're playing and watching for the females. There are some well-liked male characters but on average the audience of the games you're talking about doesn't consider them important.

>> No.8945810

>>8945769
where the fuck do you think you are? this is a board of floorshitters, do you know what that means?

>> No.8945850
File: 43 KB, 423x477, Deal with it nerd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8945769

>> No.8945863
File: 1.00 MB, 2138x1500, azunmanga_vol1_-_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seriously the loser protagonist that most of the new age anime and LN has is really vomit inducing.
Are they pandering to their demographic?
Trying to make hikki, loser otaku, neet or being fatass a status symbol?
When I see show where all the beautiful and cute girls suddenly want to suck the loser MC cock, the whole suspension of disbelief is just too much.

Good thing most of the shows that I like has no male.

>> No.8945872

I think it's because female characters have more merchandizing potential. who's going to buy 20 figures of the same guy character with different clothes? you can see how the situation is pretty much reversed in the west because appealing female characters offend feminists so they end up marginalized.

>> No.8945890

Instead of a beta shit loser no-development male protagonist I'd rather have no male protagonists at all. Everytime I see those vomit inducing sacks of shit MCs I wish I could enter anime just to kick his faggy pussyboy betanerd ass. Holy shit. And what's even worse is that all they have dark brown/black hair and dark brown/black eyes.
There are many shitty anime like this, but Lardass World takes it to a whole new level. The disgusting fatass turd makes me wish I could cut his stomach, take out his guts and feed them to a nearest pack of starving dogs. later sell his organs on a black market and give his lard to some shitty 3rd rate meat seller. In addition to being ugly he's also a beta bitch who doesn't care about feeling of other people and shits all over people who like him.
And this fucking crap sells well you would ask? YES. Japs are fucking retarded.

>> No.8945911

>>8945798
as said in >>8945890 if you're paying that much attention to male characters you aren't enjoying it right. just kick back, relax, ignore the guy, and focus on what the girls do.

unfortunately there are some bad apples in between where the male is a significant part of the story, has long monologues and stuff so that he's really not ignorable.

>> No.8946051
File: 42 KB, 360x343, 1334319450231.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8945850
>keystone

>> No.8946079

Merchandising of course. Imagine buying ten different figures of males just because of different clothes.

>> No.8946108

This entire thread is ironic because /jp/ is supposed to self-insert into the little girl. You're not doing it right by even making this an issue.

>> No.8946110

rozen maiden. there already disprove your point of it being a recent trend, desu.
yeah OP is a faggot thinking we can write up a shit script for him to stroke his dick about at the con.

>> No.8946133

/a/non here, so this is /jp/, huh?

>> No.8946180

Because it's fun to draw cute/sexy girls.

But the real reason? Because a ton of anime is about school. There's only so much you can do with a teenage schoolboy visually. That setting is just complete shit. Also with ecchi anime they need a beta protag with no balls. It's the demographic lately. People like cute and sexy things, most of those people are male. It's extremely overdone.

More directly? Schoolboys can't look badass, middle age+ can. Young girls can look cute/moe/sexy/ect, middle age+ can't hit as wide a demographic. For example, imagine Shana as a 30 year old woman, it doesn't have the same feel as young girl Shana. So we're back to the point of most anime settings being shit. So long as modern anime keep using school settings, If they used a different setting, they could make young guys look great as well as young girls.

It's why you shouldn't watch modern anime.

>> No.8946911

>>8946180
Sounds like you just have a weird hag/old man fetish.

>> No.8948070

>>8946911
Not really. I like little girls and middle aged men. Middle aged being 20-40. Young guys can be nice too, but most the time they are pansies.

If I had to name it, it'd be a tall, rugged men paired with loli's fetish.

>> No.8948770

>>8945890

Accel World actually would be ok if the protagonist didn't look like Cartman. Totally doesn't mesh with the rest of the show.

Also I want to see something with a loser protagonist who gets killed in the first episode and never comes back.

>> No.8953553
File: 51 KB, 278x156, 10114-VA_CrossGame_MKA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8948770

>> No.8953569

Kaiji, and The World God Only Knows are the only ones I've seen recently that don't have this.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action