Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 136 KB, 459x499, 1504684695567.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11631436 No.11631436 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

fellas
Matthew 6:9 says we should pray using the Lord's prayer. Does that mean we should not pray by confessing our sins or thanking the Lord or any of that but always just pray the Lord's prayer? I can't find any help online.

>> No.11631446

>>11631436

It dosen't matter: there's nobody there to listen

>> No.11631467
File: 38 KB, 600x568, 1509999738342.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11631467

>>11631446
pls no cringe responses

>> No.11631492

>>11631446

fpbp

Anyway,the best prayer there is - better than the Lord's prayer - is this one:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

It says everything in three lines

>> No.11631496

>>11631436
My understanding is that it's more of a model, not an exact formula. Paul has prayers in some of his epistles that aren't exactly the Lord's Prayer, for example.

>> No.11631505

>>11631492
>It says everything in three lines
No it doesn't. There is no confession of sin or asking for forgiveness. There is no thanksgiving for that which God has blessed you with. It is entirely man centred, give me this, make me change this. Sounds like it belongs in some fantasy novel.

>> No.11631519

>>11631436
no, there are countless examples of other prayers used by the prophets and the apostles and in the Hebrew liturgy.

>> No.11631563

I know not if or no I am wrong, but since, by a particular favour of the divine bounty, a certain form of prayer has been prescribed and dictated to us, word by word, from the mouth of God Himself, I have ever been of opinion that we ought to have it in more frequent use than we yet have; and if I were worthy to advise, at the sitting down to and rising from our tables, at our rising from and going to bed, and in every particular action wherein prayer is used, I would that Christians always make use of the Lord’s Prayer, if not alone, yet at least always. The Church may lengthen and diversify prayers, according to the necessity of our instruction, for I know very well that it is always the same in substance and the same thing: but yet such a privilege ought to be given to that prayer, that the people should have it continually in their mouths; for it is most certain that all necessary petitions are comprehended in it, and that it is infinitely proper for all occasions. ’Tis the only prayer I use in all places and conditions, and which I still repeat instead of changing; whence it also happens that I have no other so entirely by heart as that.

>> No.11631575

>>11631563
>that writing style
*snap*

>> No.11631582

>>11631505
>There is no confession of sin or asking for forgiveness. There is no thanksgiving for that which God has blessed you with. It is entirely man centred, give me this, make me change this.

That's because there are people who want to improve themselves here and now, without fear of punishment or salivation for prizes, without a concern for rewards and ambitions in the hereafter.

It is a prayer for people who have the courage to endure the pain of becoming, not a mere begging of crumbs of people who need a constant ego massage, to the point of fantasizing that they are the well-beloved valentines of Divinity.

You only have faith because of the Prize of Resurrection and the Hereafter. If you discovered that there is a form of divinity but that there is no afterlife you would stop "loving" God on the spot.

>> No.11631591

This is the part that was confusing to me

>And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

So what exactly does he mean by babbling like pagans?

>>11631496
Alright I thought it was something like that because I feel like it would be much more personal if I confess my sins instead of just saying "forgive me for my sins".

>>11631492
I've been praying and all of my prayers have been answered.

>>11631519
But the how the OT prophets prayed doesn't really matter here because Jesus came after them and He is the Son of God. And I'm a Protestant and prayers like Hail Mary are for Catholics.

>>11631563
Well I agree with Montaigne in that everyone should know it and remember it well

>> No.11631614

>>11631582
You forgot the second stanza:
God, grant me the Serenity
To accept the things I cannot change...
Courage to change the things I can,
And Wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His will.
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Amen.

>> No.11631621

>>11631591
Yes

>> No.11631639

>>11631582
>You only have faith because of the Prize of Resurrection and the Hereafter
No I have faith because I am convinced that God in flesh through the person of Jesus Christ came down from heaven, lived a righteous life, died a brutal death, and was resurrected, so that my sins might be forgiven, that I may avoid the punishment I deserve, and may have eternal life.

>> No.11631647

>>11631639
die

>> No.11631652

>>11631591
The babbling like pagans part has to do with the pagan belief that if you pray loudly and repetitively enough that the gods will hear you and answer your prayers. Now have long (as in time) prayers isn't bad if you've got a lot to pray for, but if not, don't keep needlessly repeating. God hears your prayer.

>> No.11631656

>>11631647
Going to be a pretty good day when I do. I know that when I do end up dying I will pass from this life of suffering and into the embrace of God the creator of all things (including you btw).

>> No.11632848

>>11631505
>It is entirely man centred
You say this like its a bad thing

>> No.11632890
File: 50 KB, 900x1200, adult-priest-costume-996197.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11632890

>reading the Bible
put that thing away

>> No.11632976

>>11631656
lol enjoy Ialdabaoth's scaly caress, psychic

>> No.11633065

>>11631436
It's a formula.
>Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Praise for God.
>Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
May all things be as He wishes them to be.
>Give us this day our daily bread,
Thanksgiving and a request for basic needs.
>and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us,
Confession, there you go.
>and lead us
not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
>For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever.
Closing praise.
>Amen.

>> No.11633099

>>11632976
based gnostic poster

>> No.11633122

>>11633065
Doesn't "daily bread" actually come from a word that means something like "supersubstantial?" So in this case it wouldn't be "basic" needs but rather "spiritual" needs

>> No.11633134

>>>/his/
Read the sticky christ LARPer

>> No.11633141

>>11631436
the affirmation of the Lord's Prayer is not the negation of any other prayer.
Christ does not say you must only say this prayer.

The negation of "All cows are white" is not "All cows are black." It's "There is at least one non-white cow."

please learn basic logic; if you did, you would've answered your question.

>> No.11633150

>>11631496
If it was a model, it would somehow be wrong to pray to Christ.

That would be ridiculous.

>> No.11633179

>>11631436
>>>/his/
This is not literature related, it's humanities.

>> No.11633197

>>11631591
>Alright I thought it was something like that because I feel like it would be much more personal if I confess my sins instead of just saying "forgive me for my sins".

Christ instituted the sacrament of Reconciliation. You should both pray to God to forgive your sins privately and confess your sins to God through a priest. The priest is in Persona Christi; he is in the person of Christ when he confesses (as he is in many other facets of the responsibilities of a priest). When you go to confession you confess your sins to God through the priest who is in the person of Christ. God grants absolution (forgiveness of sins) through the priest to you.

>John 20:23
“If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
Christ gives the power to forgive sins to the Apostles. You should confess your sins because you should, because God wants you to accept His love, and because Christ gave you the gift of being forgiven through His Apostles and subsequently all priests in apostolic succession.

>> No.11633220

>>11633197
>he is in the person of Christ when he confesses
*He is in the person of Christ when he listens to confessions

pls dont b confused

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action