[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 48 KB, 292x292, 1287048239244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1208691 No.1208691 [Reply] [Original]

How do you get into the mood of writing /lit/?
I'm trying to write at the moment, but I can't think of anything.
How do I come up with a good idea to write about? Could you possibly give me a list of things that I could write about to practice my style?

>> No.1208703

>>1208691
just write. write about a conversation you had today. change it around to something more awkward. or the opposite if you want. write about two dogs having a convo.

just write. you're wasting your time if you think you're going to reflect THEN get in the mood for writing. starting is the hardest part. i say skip it and get right down to business.

>> No.1208712

>>1208703
Haha, okay man. Thanks, I'll try that.
Any more ideas /lit/?

>> No.1208719

>>1208712
write about the first time you let your dog lick your nuts.

>> No.1208721

Search "writing prompts" on Google.

You have to write even when you're not in the mood. Practicing is how you improve. Also, read a lot of shit by writers you admire. It helps.

>> No.1208725

I do it whenever I feel like. That's it. Typically, if I NEED to write, getting drunk or high first is a big help. I don't know if others have noted such a thing, but I seem to write better under the influence, and when going into a depressive phase (I'm schizoaffective, which means schizophrenic and bipolar at the same bleeding time). Maybe kinda like Randall Munroe's "Ballmer Peak."

>> No.1208738

>>1208725
I'm getting really high tonight, what is it like writing while under the influence?

>> No.1208746

>>1208738
I think it depends on the person.

My drinking was what reconnected me to my writing, but everything I wrote when I was high/drunk was shit. I got better when I got sober. But that's just me. My a friend of mine, who was an English major in undergrad, said one of his professors told him once, "There stopped being any decent American writers when they stopped drinking."

Sort of a downer, imo.

>> No.1208770

>>1208738

I get high and write every night. Has always worked out for me.