[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 86 KB, 481x739, Towers of Midnight..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1212932 No.1212932 [Reply] [Original]

IT'S FUCKING COMING!!!!!!!! 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!

Discuss. Because I know you're out there.

>> No.1212933

Yeah I'm a little excited. I'm already commited to finishing it. I'll give RJ that much.

>> No.1212960

Stuck in the middle of book 2.. So.. Slow.. Paced.. Tired.. Of.. Hearing.. About.. Dresses..

But that aside, it's a wonderful series, just a little to slow paced

>> No.1212966

when rand and moridin switch bodies, what happens to rand's warder bonds?

>> No.1212971

>>1212966

>switch bodies
>Que?!?

I believe you should re-read the books...

>> No.1212976

>>1212971
the prophecies say rand will live and die twice, rand sees moridin's face as the third man, nicola foretold that rand would die yet live, rand and moridin have a soul link because their balefires touched each other (rand can tap moridin's true power)... how can you think this is anything but inevitable?

>> No.1212985

>>1212976

>where did Nicola foretell that?

At first I thought you were yet another idiot... however now I am intrigued. Source, please. :)

>> No.1212989

>>1212985
From Lord of Chaos

[LOC: 14, Dreams and Nightmares, 255]

Nicola's Foretelling:

"The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance out the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade."

The sword, spear, and seeress are clearly Elayne, Aviendha, and Min. Are they the "three on the boat"? Probably, and the wording ties in with the King Arthur funereal imagery of one of Min's visions, and the WOs' boat dream. The "he who is dead yet lives" bit refers to Rand, echoing the answer he got from the Snakes ("To live, you must die.").

sauce: wotfaq

>> No.1212994

I'm waiting to see Mat lose his eye, personally.

>Johanni fernway
I like that name.

>> No.1212995

Wow, can't believe this thread is still going. You've made me so happy /lit/

>> No.1212999

So, I have a theory that explains the whole series. Who wants to hear it? It's not THAT spoiler-y (I guess you can't really be), but I honestly believe that Rand will kill Shai-tan.

>> No.1213001

>>1212989

I get your theory now, but my own here would be that he will die and through his blood on the rocks he shall live. Rand al'Thor will die, but the Dragon (the soul of the Dragon, trapped to the Wheel) shall live on 'till the Wheel has turned, and turned, and the Age of Legends comes again, and the Dragon shall be Lews Therin. A million times before and a million times to come the Dragon shall rise and fall, and rise again.

>> No.1213003

Derp obviously I'm not finished. I believe that Shai'tan is a man at some point, given power by the eel/aelfinn. There are a number of stories half-remembered by Matt that allude to this point.

>> No.1213009

Anyone remember the story of Old Hobb under the hill? Well I believe that the eel/aelfinn are representations of (and therefore, are) the Pattern itself. The point is stressed that the Pattern is ambivalent no matter what. Therefore, would be neither here nor there about creating a Dark One. It seems plausible that at some point in the cycle Shai'tan must die and be reborn, same as the Dragon, just by different means.

>> No.1213010

>>1213001
He's probably going to get killed - possibly by Gawayn, who's front runner for fucking retard who would be likely to kill the last hope of the world twenty seconds before he sees his mother's alive - then they're going to pull him out of Tel'aran'rhiod or whatever the dream world is called like they did Birgitte. Whether this happens before the Last Battle, or after, when they summon him with the Horn, is up to them.

>> No.1213012

>>1213001
what about the prophecies, which say he is marked "twice to live and twice to die"?

twice is not ad infinitum - unless maybe he's going to be yanked out like birgitte during his term in tel'aran'rhiod.

>> No.1213014

>>1213003
>>1212999

Shai'tan the second power of the multiverse, after the Creator, and if the Creator could do no more than just lock him away at each Beginning of the Wheel's turn, do you think that a mortal (however immortal his soul) can do better?

And Shai'tan broke free during the Age of Legends due to Lanfaer's thirst for power. For 10 years he was loose and the darkfriends swarmed the cities and countries, until LT led his 100 companions to lock him away again. As he later said: power was not the way to win the "Last Battle". And from all we can quite safely conclude that the Last Battle is the reforging of the old barrier wrought by the Creator - and this time through both Saidin and Saidar working together (or the Dragon using the True Power against the Dark One himself, we know that "something has to touch him").

>> No.1213015

>>1213012
Is there any precedent for him to be in tel'aran'rhiod though? I don't believe it's mentioned, and while he's obviously a hero of the Pattern, he's a hero like no other.

>> No.1213017

>>1213014
But that's my point! He has to BECOME the second power at some point. Obviously Rand could not just seal something of equal power to the Creator. Thus the cycle of death and rebirth on both sides. Did you read my third post?

>> No.1213019

>>1213015
He's killed or chased a couple of Forsaken through it while in the flesh, and he's one of the heroes called by the Horn when not in the Pattern jesus why do i remember all this crap

>> No.1213021

>>1213012

How about Ishamael's taunt on their battle having been fought countless times before, and will be fought countless times to come? He said it to both LT and Rand. Him having been the greatest philosopher of the Age where, well, the greatest minds lived... we can take it as the image of truth. Wheel of Time is a wheel. 7 ages, 7 spokes to the wheel. Once the end is reached it begins anew. Beginning of 1st age Shai'tan is locked away. During the Age of Legends he is released. 10 years later he is imperfectly locked away again. And "to build you must destroy" will refer to Shai'tan having to be released again, so that the Creator's cage could be restored (well, in any better state than the ramshackle affair LT and his 100 did). It does not have to be totally perfect... only 3 more ages 'till it all starts again, with the Last Battle symbolising the end of the 3rd age (as we know from the poems and histories written during the 4th age).

>> No.1213022

>>1213019
I don't remember him ever being mentioned as a hero of the Horn. Also, anyone can travel tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh. Egwene does it to get to Salidar.

>> No.1213026

>>1213015
that's an interesting aside, but a bit tangential - what about the prophecies, which say he is marked twice to live and die?

why twice, if he is to be reborn eternally? aren't they necessarily talking about rand specifically and not the dragon?

>> No.1213031

>>1213021
I'm not debating the fact that there is a cycle, or that Ishamael has fought LT infinite times. I'm just debating the specifics, because they deserve to be explored.

Think about it, it makes sense. Also, if there's one series NOT to take on face value this is it. And what is this about "Creator's Cage"? The Creator chooses NOT to participate, implying there must be fundamental difference between the Creator and the Dark One, other than good and evil.

>> No.1213035

>>1213022
Hawkwing mentions he's fought beside him when called from the Horn in The Great Hunt.

>> No.1213037

>>1213017

Again basing the theory on what Ishy said, and let me find the quote... (through the connection between the Dragon and Moridin): "The Creator had made the world and then left humankind to make of it what they would, a heaven or the Pit of Doom by their choosing. The Creator had made many worlds, watched each flower or die, and gone on to make endless worlds beyond. A gardener did not weep for each blossom that fell."

The Dark One could verywell be alike. He has thousands of other worlds he is trying to win over, thousands more he wants to corrupt. We assume that Shai'tan is locked away, and we do it through knowing that he IS locked away from THIS world... he may be roaming around free in others. The Creator is "good", the Dark One is "evil". Before Shai'tan was released in the Age of Legends the land had not known serious "evil" - all the prosperity and goodness points to that. His coming brought evil, he IS evil. We should not see Shai'tan as a character, rather something more and greater. If you think of God now (blahblah god doesn't exist, blahblah) then you do not think of him as a man, but as a being beyond our reckoning. Same should be applied here. Just my theory, though, and as many readers there are to WoT as many theories there are.

>> No.1213038

>>1213026
Maybe twice only refers to the markings themelves. I can't see dying twice (unless of course this is a metaphor, which it very well may be) working, unless some serious Deus ex Machina shit gets pulled.

The first set of markings for him to live for the Last Battle, the second to die for it maybe?

>> No.1213039

>>1213037
Agreed, I honestly don't know anything like all the theories. However, I respect yours, but I stand by mine. Agree to disagree? :)

>> No.1213042

>>1213035
Yes, but that's because Hawkwing is a hero of the Horn. The Dragon has called the heroes infinite times. This says nothing about the Dragon being held to it.

>> No.1213045

>>1213031

>The Creator chooses NOT to participate

Didn't Sammael once ponder on the fact that the Dragon may be the avatar of the Creator created for the sole reason to fight the Dark One for eternity? Also, maybe I'm wrong but the last part of The Gathering Storm, where Rand stands atop Dragonmount and yells at the sky, seemingly at the Creator, and the light coming down and giving Rand insight, that there seemed to me like the Creator did, in fact, communicate with Rand.

>> No.1213046

>>1213038

He, the Dragon, already died once as LT (during this turning of the Wheel), second time will be as Rand.

>>1213039

Yap, and thank god. :D My fingers were beginning to hurt already with all this hyperspeed typing.

>> No.1213052

>>1213045
To be honest I think that (Dragonmount) was just a bit of clunky symbolism from Sanderson.

It is heavily implied that the Dragon is the avatar of the creator, however the only words the Creator says to Rand are in the first book: I will not participate.

>> No.1213057

MAZRIM TAIM IS FUCKING DEMANDRED! I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYBODY SAYS!

>> No.1213063
File: 23 KB, 330x357, feels-bad-man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1213057
I swear, he changed it just to spite know-it-all fans.

>> No.1213064
File: 738 KB, 649x920, Moiraine Damodred 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1213057

Lol, no.

Also, FUCK YEAH! Moiraine's coming back next book!

>> No.1213065

>>1213063
Yeah, I reckon. It's so bleeding obvious. Although, if he isn't, it only makes it more exciting to find out.

>> No.1213067

>>1213064
God damn, I can't wait see Rand's reaction when Moiraine shows up.

>> No.1213072

Suddenly I reposted the first chapter:

http://www.orbitbooks.net/towersofmidnight/

>> No.1213076

When is the Chapter 2 audio coming out? If I remember correctly Tor wouldn't release it in a written form, but instead as a promo to audiobooks. Must wail 'till someone types it up. It is around15 days till the release date, with Chapter one having come out in the beginning of the month. Next few days could be it. :()

>> No.1213085

>>1213072
Almost had a nerdgasm when Rand walked to the orchard, the cloud cover made way for the sun and shit started flowering.

>> No.1213086

I've read books 1-6, tried starting on 7, but I just couldn't get past the first chapters. Is it worth it to truck on through the rest of the books?

>> No.1213098

>>1213086
What's so hard to get through in the beginning of book 7?

>> No.1213106

Am I the only one who feels really uncomfortable about all these assholes saying the Dark One's name?

>> No.1213107

>>1213098
I think he means RJ's writing style, which is overdescriptive and his storytelling, which is slow as fuck. With those powers combined wot gives slowpoke a run for its money (figuratively).

>> No.1213111

>>1213107
That, combined with the fact that I don't like how he depicts women. Feels like he has a severe case of dominatrix complex.

>> No.1213110

>>1213086
Is Book 7 the one that has a prologue that's a third of the book?

>> No.1213112

I once read the first one. And then half of the second one. And then I don't know what happened. Should I try to read the series again? Is it worth it?

>> No.1213114

>>1213111
I lol'd.

That's pretty much accurate.

>> No.1213117

>>1213111
Yeah, I've always had that critique of wot as well. All in all, I'm glad I plowed through the later books where the going gets quite slow, with a few climaxes here and there, since book 12 was extremely satisfying to read. I suspect 13 will be similar, as Sanderson has to tie a million knots to set up the stage for the climax in book 14.

>> No.1213130

Good thread guys, but I have to go to church now.

Be back in maybe 5 hours. God bless you all for supporting quality literature.

>> No.1213151

I still have to read Knife of Dreams and The Gathering Storm, I was hoping to do it next month. My problem right now is I need a summary of the previous books, could you guys help me?

>> No.1213152

>>1213151
How brief are you looking for? Because I could give you a quick bullet points run down.

>> No.1213157

>>1213151
http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/

Enjoy.

>> No.1213159

http://www.wotsummary.com/

>> No.1213161

>>1213157
>>1213159
You have both saved me from doing what looked like actual work. Thank you.

>> No.1213164

>>1213152
Thanks anon, I just need to know how the 10th book ended... because I've forgot how the plot was at the end of the 10th book, in which situation were the characters.

>> No.1213166

>>1213164
Ugh. The 10th book was fucking terrible. Shit all happened. The best thing about Book 10 is that the backlash convinced Jordan that he needed to start using Editors again.

Book 10 ends with Egwene turning the harbour chains of Tar Valon into cuendillar. However, her and Leane are captured in the process.

>> No.1213168

>>1213164
Remember how things were at the end of book 9?

Book 10 is just people reacting to that, and then Egwene gets kidnapped by the White Tower.

That's it. That's the whole book.

>> No.1213181

>>1213168
I was raging pretty hard when the book ended. Finally SOMETHING happens and roll credits with Robert Jordan doing a trollface in the background.