[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 58 KB, 463x325, 1546905561113.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12370731 No.12370731 [Reply] [Original]

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

>> No.12370750

I wish I could read all day but my family makes a lot of noise

>> No.12371391

>>12370731
>buy the physical copies... you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money
I bought 300 books and read none of them. I was keeping a backlog akin to Steam games and never once "got around to it". I was more content having that collection than actually reading itself. I donated all of them and got digital copies. This way, I can't brag about the collection I have and I'm more dedicated to reading instead of collecting. It's easier on my mind to mark up digital copies instead of physical ones, so notetaking to fully grasp concepts is not an issue.
Fully agree with the rest however

>> No.12371432

>>12370731
Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

This is it chief

>> No.12371475

>/lit/ will dispute this

>> No.12371485

Oldie but goodie pasta