[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 97 KB, 309x500, goodsoldier.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1247342 No.1247342 [Reply] [Original]

I normally don't collect editions of anything, but I've always had a bit of a fetish for the Penguin paperback editions...

I wish it were easier to get some of the older ones.

>> No.1247354

Good stuff. The closest thing I have to that is like a 26th anniversary edition of Heaven and Hell by Swedenborg.

>> No.1247515
File: 299 KB, 1280x1024, Photo0006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah I like the old Penguins. I think pic related set me back 30 cents from an op shop. If you live in the former British empire there's no real shortage of them. Look around for "Penguin by Design" if you haven't already. It's an interesting, critical, well illustrated history of the company. There's also "700 Penguins", which is exactly what you get and nothing else.

I do find the Pelicans more interesting and desirable though, because they hardly deviated from a basic design template and set of ideas under one banner, and are probably on the whole even cheaper. The series also ended fairly abruptly in the 80s before the economic rationalists could mangle it.

>> No.1247607

I love the "Great Ideas" Penguin series, which have these fantastic textured covers... and the books themselves are pretty sweet as well.

>> No.1247627

>>1247607
I am profoundly unimpressed with William Hazlitt but the idea of owning a beautifully-designed little volume titled "On The Pleasure Of Hating" was just too alluring to pass up