[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 493 KB, 420x297, 1541003933515.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13058744 No.13058744 [Reply] [Original]

I have an idea for a novel but I need some honest feedback before I proceed. Specifically I am worried about my narrative structure and how clunky it may feel for the reader.

>Character A has a story arc set in a particular city, occurs a few years in the past
>Character B has a story arc which happens in the same setting but 3 years after Character A's story
>through the course of both stories, at both points of time, A and B interact with each other fairly frequently
>plot progresses linearly but switches scenes between A and B in their different timelines

Is there already something like this? The immediate problem would be confusing the reader if they lose track of the time swaps. If my writing sucks the whole thing won't work. Tell me what you think.

I was going to type out this paragraph about the theme: how painfully close we unknowingly come to connecting deeply with people but the chances lost due to timing. But I realized my low level motivation for writing this thing is my personal failure to connect with that girl I sought for three years and how the paths of our individual lives are forever careening away among the arc of immortal time.

>> No.13058750

>>13058744
oy vey, meant along at the end there

>> No.13059016
File: 75 KB, 720x404, 2018-Your_Name_Gestern_heute_und_fr_immer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13058744
If they're going to interract then you need to know whether the reader knows about the time gap if if you want to pull ridiculous plot trickery acrobatics. If the reader does know then you have a challenge to tell part A in a manner that has any tension or interest.

>> No.13059045

>>13058744
I think the form of this narrative structure has already entered public consciousness, but that's no reason to not write it.

I may be misunderstanding a little bit

What I would do: A and B correspond online and A meticulously rereads the chatlogs, you can structure that part like a play, for flair

>> No.13059049

Pretty sure there's something like that (I have a book in mind but I don't recall the name right now), but it's merely a matter of changing POVs. A lot of novels do that. All you gotta do is have consistency so the reader won't feel lost, like having one chapter in the past then other in the future, or always continuing from where you last left, or just creating a unique identity for each part. How you would do that it's up to you though.