[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 349 KB, 1256x2028, revelation space.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13445194 No.13445194 [Reply] [Original]

Looking to read a good scifi book and was recommended this. About 1/3 of the way through and so far it's pretty underwhelming. I know you shouldn't judge a book this early but I can't bring myself to read anymore. Should I keep going? What are your thoughts on the book?

>> No.13445213
File: 20 KB, 269x371, Redemption_Ark_cover_%28Amazon%29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13445194
The book didn't really come together until I finished it. Even if you do finish it, it won't feel very satisfying until it all comes together with the next two books. I'd suggest you finish it because it's my favorite sci-fi series. If you do end up finishing it and continuing, I'd also recommend reading Chasm City until after you finish the main three, since it's not as well connected to the main plot. I believe this was the authors first big book, so I think he just sort of threw it all together on this one, but when wraps it up real tight with the others.

>> No.13445597

>>13445194
Read Chasm City first, also the Prefect. You have to already like the universe to get something out of Revelation Space. With the exception of the Conjoiner stuff, Chasm City introduces the tech and factions a lot better, and doesn't spoil anything since it takes place immediately before the start of the first book.