[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 165 KB, 582x799, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1371904 No.1371904 [Reply] [Original]

Does /lit/ like graphic novels? If so, which ones?

>> No.1371914

Let's switch this up to favorite authors of this medium in order to streamline this a bit.
Alan Moore, Jeph Loeb, and Frank Miller

>> No.1371917

There's a few Anti-comic snobs here but they always get a kicking when they stick their head up.

Generally we like anything by Alan Moore, Will Eisener, Chris Ware, Charles Burns and Art Speigleman. Anything from the Vertigo imprint is usually well liked too. We're not so fond of the Superhero comics (except when written by one of the above).

>> No.1371912

'graphic novels'. Let's not get pretentious. As far as I'm concerned, all of that stuff is funnybooks.

Anyway, I like a lot of this stuff, there is a lot of good stuff. Are you looking for recommendations or what? Alan Moore is generally a genius, Grant Morrison is a mad genius, Warren Ellis is cool, and that's just the guys who are embedded in the superhero tradition. So much dope stuff out there in terms of funnybooks, honestly. What are you in the market for?

>> No.1371923

This whole thread is pretentious.

Give me Calvin and Hobbes and fuck off.

>> No.1371929

>>1371917
Yo I properly love superhero comics, you just have to know what you're getting, you know? They're incredible examples of pulp / pop culture / low art if you buy into that term, when they're good they're incredibly inventive and energetic and fun and really brilliant. I mean, Jack Kirby is a genius. You just have to understand that unless you're reading superhero comics by a very small group of people, they're not really going to be literature (and yeah I know that's a problematic term but you know what I mean).

>> No.1371937

So much samefagging in this thread.

This is why there is a /co/ thread you mouth-breather.

Childish comic books are not literature.

>> No.1371940

Lucifer.

>> No.1371948

neil gaiman's sandman series

>> No.1371951

>>1371937
TALKING ABOUT BOOKS ON THE INTERNET: SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS

Remember, if you like something that is not 800 pages long in which everyone dies at the end, EVEN FOR A SINGLE SECOND, you lose all right to consider yourself smart. Sorry, you read a comic book, you are automatically a moron. Book with pictures? CANNOT BE INTELLECTUAL MIGHT AS WELL KILL YOURSELF

>> No.1371959

Alan Moore ftw without a doubt. Watchmen, V for Vendetta, fantastic. I may be a little over my head in this genre, but I'd say the drawing in Watchmen was absolutely superb. Well done, Dave Gibbons.

>> No.1371965

>>1371959
Yeah the art in Watchmen is (and is widely acknowledged as) one of the finest examples of comic art around, everything he does is completely incredible + his use of panels is mad cool

Also, if you like superhero comics, you need to get up on that early Grant Morrison work because the man wrote some really incredible stuff. Can't really speak to his maisntream work for the Big 2, especially his recent stuff with DC - but Invisibles, Flex Mentallo, Animal Lad are all cool.

>> No.1371966

I think Alan Moore is the moist talented comic book writer there is, but i just prefer Gaiman for some reason.
And he's so cute :3

>> No.1371970

>>1371929
The classics are just that and Kirby is a genius. Its just a shame that so much of what is published in the medium is basically boys power fantasies. Could you imagine if any other form of entertainment was as dominated by just one Genre as Comic books are by Superheros? The only equivalent i can think of is Bollywood where practically every film to come out of the major film studios in India is a Musical. Its not healthy, not that there aren't some good comics being written (Joss Whedon's run on X-Men and Grant Morrisson's stuff for DC for example).

>> No.1371977

>>1371970
Yah it's completely unhealthy and the way that the entire industry is basically centered around one target demographic (coincidentally the same demo that largely writes and draws the comics) actually approaches insanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgMZl0FJsx4

>> No.1371992

80s oldmancomicfag here.

Excellent: Watchmen, Maus, Jimmy Corrigan, Heartbreak Soup, Safe Area Gorazde
Good: V for Vendetta, Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron, I Never Liked You, The Playboy, Palestine
Meh: Marvelman/Miracleman, Jar of Fools, Persepolis, Louis Riel
Weak: Stuck Rubber Baby

>> No.1371994

>>1371965

If you're a Morrison fan, I highly recommend you check out his run on 'Doom Patrol', as well as 'The Filth', if you haven't already.

For new readers, 'The Filth' is actually a pretty wonderful introduction both to his bizarro imagination and to his deeply practical skill at craft and pacing. So yeah.

>> No.1371998

>>1371970
I'd say Video games. Technology is quickly evolving, people are capable of creating amazing things, and even the technology to create games is turning more accessible.
Still, there's absolutely no evolution coming from the public, so, the entire industry is geared towards army obsessed teenagers.

Regarding the topic at hand the domination of the market by super hero comics is annoying, but some cape comics are incredible (Watchmen, for instance). The problem is with the quality of the writing and consistency. Multiple writers, multiple status, events, retcons, the reestablishing of the status quo and so, make the general quality of comics and the universe they're set on horrible.

>> No.1372001

>>1371994
I'd recommend All Star Superman, it's everything Superman needs to be, amazing.

>> No.1372022

>>1371998
Watchmen was sort of intended to be a deconstruction and stab in the guts of superhero comics. Instead it ended up spawning a whole new trend and subgenre.