[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 182x276, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13729135 No.13729135 [Reply] [Original]

>Rousseau argued that the advancement of science and technology does not mean advances in culture. Technological development does not mean that one is morally better, perhaps he is worse off.
Based. When will soulless STEMfags and degenerate /pol/tards who masturbate to IQ scores finally understand this?

>> No.13729160

>>13729135
Does anybody seriously claim this?

Scientific advances are what they are. I prefer living in a world in which I'm not dying of gout or whatever illness that is easily cured today, even if people are no morally better or more cultured than in the past.

>> No.13729170

>>13729135
> someone arguing something means they’re right

Ya he did argue it, poorly. And with the benefit of all that science and knowledge has brought we know his idealized state of nature never existed

>> No.13729173

>>13729160
>Does anybody seriously claim this?
Plenty of people think this and base all value and worth on technological advancements and (only one type of) intelligence.

>> No.13729179

>>13729170
>we know his idealized state of nature never existed
The stupid but happy pre-society man thing? Source?

>> No.13729565

>>13729135
>muh noble savage
Rousseau is responsible for much of today's SJW insanity. Primitive cultures are way more violent on an interpersonal level.

>> No.13729628

>>13729135
>Muh noble savage
Please hand over all your technology and go live with the tree-niggers. What's that? You're too much of a low-t faggot to actually live out your adolescent 'beliefs'. Sounds about right.

>> No.13729639

>>13729135
IQ is the modern version of zodiacs

>> No.13729645

>>13729565
European Hunter gatherer bones showed that most did not die due to violence, they also only spent 15 hours a week working on average. Could there be some OTHER reason all currently primitive societies are extremely violent? Consider reverse survivorship bias, there inability to progress and organise via cooperation is probably due to a genetic predisposition to violence.

>> No.13729714
File: 32 KB, 302x500, 9780553075496-es.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13729135
Read B.F. Skinner. unless you are a creationist or scared of the truth, you will have to admit moral development IS technological development. If we can understand the human animal as a biological machine that responds to stimuli and learns through operant conditioning then we are not only able but actually obliged to better his condition through science and rational behavioural modification.

>> No.13729728
File: 32 KB, 562x544, 1567043808528.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any way we can meddle with the brains of STEM people to turn them into the philosophical zombies they so obviously want to be. I am absolutely one hundred and ten percent serious about this. It really is worth considering that we should look into some method of removing all the functions of the brain which allow STEMfags to do anything other than whatever they need for their autistic little field. Honestly. Give me a mathematician and an ice cream scoop and half an hour. Love and passion, nope not using it, you don't need it (SCOOOP). Desire for meaning and authenticity, don't think you even knew you had this (SCOOOOOOP). Basic ethical and aesthetic sensibilities, well known to any well-adjusted three your old, you certainly won't miss this (SCOOOOOOOOOOP). Then we screw the top of his head back on and marvel at our creation: the ideal STEMfag, reduced to his essential part, a human calculator in the case of our mathematician. And I genuinely believe that he would thank me if he could. This is all STEMfags want to be, this is all they're really capable of being.

Give them all to me and with an ice cream scoop I'll fix all their problems. They won't have to worry about any of the dastardly, irritating aspects of life, such as beauty, or religious hope, or virtue, or even sensuality (which will be merely sense-data once I'm done with my scoop).

You really do have to understand, noble reader, that this isn't even in the slightest a cruel thing to do. It's removing from them those things which would do nothing but bother and irritate them till the end of their days. They don't want these things which are so valuable to you and I, noble reader. In fact, their every utterance is a plea to the universe to "reduce" and "eliminate" and simplify and I, and my trusted associates at the clinic, with our scoops would do nothing more than give them that freedom from unnecessaries that they so desire.

It's a perfect solution, which frees us from having to listen to their opinions on things outside of objectively measurable phenomena pertaining to their field and their field alone, and it frees them from the distractions, such as moral intuitions and human consciousness, which they are so disturbed by that they need to deny the very existence of these things.

Just picture it, thousands upon thousands of STEMfags walking out the clinic back towards their test tubes or whatever they do. Imagine the grotesque rictus smiles on their chinless anglo faces. "I'm finally free", they would think, were they not indeed finally free from that thing which they felt most keenly to be a burden on them, qualia, human consciousness, and all the beauty, passion, love, emotion, all the duty, the sense of virtues, the religious hunger, the ups and downs and bends and curves of being human, all that aesthetic, moral, spiritual... noise, which plagued them like tinnitus until my act of kindness.

>> No.13729736

>>13729645
>Could there be some OTHER reason all currently primitive societies are extremely violent?
Are they? Source?

>> No.13729749

ITT: lots of angered bugmen lashing out at based Rousseau

>> No.13729761

>>13729645
>Could there be some OTHER reason all currently primitive societies are extremely violent?
In the case of isolated primitive violent tribes, you may have a point. Look up the practice of headhunting, which is very disturbing.

>> No.13729765

>>13729728

P-zombies are not conceivable

U r a retard

>> No.13729815
File: 949 KB, 500x282, 1566442380245.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13729765
>STEMfag with a low capacity in thinking possible worlds

SHOCKER.

>> No.13729841

>>13729728
I was going to say something to defend math since it's not that close to the sciences and there have been instances of mathematicians (pure obviously) defending their pursuit as functionally worthless and without utility (which many also think about philosophy), or closer to an artform than a science, but remembering some of the comments I saw on /sci/ it's pretty fair, carry on. Just spare me

>> No.13729960

>>13729135
The intellectual existence of science and technology is based on the principle of causality. The gradually increasing devotion to technology since the Industrial Revolution reveals a shift in the world picture of the entirety of Western culture, from a spiritual one to a causal one. That is why today even the common man is irreligious, because causality is superior to gods and fate. Technology and culture, real culture like Shakespeare or Mozart, are not compatible with each other in any way. In fact they are inverses of each other, as space is the inverse of time: as Western culture grows older, its time runs out and space accretes in its place. That is why as science and technology continue to develop, aristocratic art and culture seem to have disappeared. In this way our culture sterilizes itself out of existence through the causality principle.

>> No.13730007

>>13729628
>Muh noble savage
You didn't read Rousseau right ?

>> No.13730020

>>13729841
this. math is more of philosophy than science but that seems to be getting lost a bit. too many profs and grad students are just mindless calculators caught up in I FUCKING Love science .

>> No.13730046

>>13729960
yet scientists still use science in religious terms. very few people understand causality of specific problems. for example the neuroscience of learning a new sjill.

yet all academics throw around scientific studies about how people learn: "growth mindset" "metacognition", "learning modalities" etc. the way they use these terms is not in a knowing scientific way. they are simply the socially accepted vocabulary of the day. they are myths and stories no different than Greek gods.

you can't escape religion, just substitute for it.

>> No.13730079

>>13729135
Based. Was Rousseau a Luddite?

>> No.13730167

>>13729160
>>13729170
Enjoy all the alienation, anomie, and xenoestrogens modern technology has given you fags