[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 160 KB, 590x377, draft_lens7981651module67624081photo_1257784852ebook-reader-comparison.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1391399 No.1391399 [Reply] [Original]

I want to buy an eBook reader. I think I want a Nook Color, mostly because I still (naively) view Barnes & Noble as a "real" bookseller. Kinda fuck Amazon, but definitely fuck Sony.

Thing is, I'm not hip to all the tech news so I don't know what's good and what's not. If you start looking for reviews, you get articles that are a year or two old. I'm hoping the esteemed /lit/erati here can help. As an international student, the two things that matter most to me are the availability of textbooks and international/non-English books.

>> No.1391406

colour is lcd screen. not e-ink.

google _ vs _ vs _

>> No.1391413

>>1391399
Kindle is master race. If you are not into pirating books like most of us here are, then the kindle is the way to go because the Amazon store is massive in comparison to the selection of books available for the nook. The color screen, at this point, seems to me a childish distraction. An ereader is for reading books. If you want color just get an ipad or some other tablet pc. I can say from living in a household where one person owns a nook and everyone else owns a kindle that the kindle is the superior ereader. The nook is always glitching. The touch screen is complete garbage and the page refresh rates are very slow compared to kindle.

>> No.1391474

>>1391413
Have you tried reading periodicals with it? Does anything get lost in the translation to unillustrated black & white?

>> No.1391499

>>1391413
Kindle's pretty good for pirating too.
No fucker restricts my goddamn hardware.

Jailbreak Kindle + Calibre FTW.

>> No.1391523

>>1391499

Jailbreak Kindle. Why? My kindle works just fine and all my books are pirated.

>> No.1391528

>>1391523
Just because.
Plus, those fucking authors watch me fap.

>> No.1391536

So my nook won't charge and I've already tried asking everywhere else on the internet, what do /lit/?

>> No.1391542

>>1391536
Get a Kindle 3.

>> No.1391543

>>1391474
Yes, I subscribe to the NY Times, and although it is not without its problems, it is really great for reading periodicals. However, I have the smaller kindle; the DX may be more suitable for periodicals and native pdf's. >>1391499
I probably phrased that poorly. I pirate all my books. But for someone who doesn't pirate and wants to purchase books then their best bet is to go with the kindle because the size of the kindle store dwarfs the nook's store.

>> No.1391558

The Kindle is excellent quality for the price. The keyboard's annoying, the build-quality isn't truly awesome, it's a shitter that it doesn't support .epub and handles .Pdf worse than the Sony. I don't like the default fonts.

The Sony 650 is the best eink reader out there (unless you want a large scale one). Build quality is good, the touch screen is very good, it feels just the right weight to hold. I think the default fonts are very nice. Downsides: no connectivity (if this bothers you), Sony's software is utter shite, battery life is not nearly as good, price, customer service.

I've heard some good reviews of the Nook Colour. The screen's high quality for the price, if you're not bothered by it being back-lit. If you root it, the device becomes pretty good (although it lacks even bluetooth). If you want to use it for reading and limited web-browsing, it's a helluva bargain compared to the iPad and Galaxy tab.

I don't think I could bring myself to call it a dedicated reading device, though.

>> No.1391562

>fucking authors watch me fap

>> No.1391584

As a pure "book replacement" device, Kindle wins.
Anything else & I'll just do it properly and use the lappy.

>> No.1391591

>>1391558
A huge point in favor of anything would be better handling of PDF scans from books. I resent having to pay 4c. per side to get paper copies, and all of the PDF viewers I've tried so far are shiiiiiiit for this kind of thing.

>> No.1391614

>>1391591
pdf is a shitty format for ebooks - we don't *want* hardware to handle it, s'gonna retard the whole ebook concept if pdf doesn't die.

>> No.1391634

>>1391614
It is, but it's the format my course readings are distributed in, and I doubt most academic books on government and public administration are available on Kindle (or anywhere else, for that matter).