[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 675x419, 1510284808982.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13998875 No.13998875 [Reply] [Original]

What are some metaphysics texts that analyse the existence of other people, of what language is, and how communication between ones mind and the exterior world works?
I'm trying to answer the following question:
>Is each person's mental model of language and qualia of what words and concepts mean sufficiently different to completely hinder communication between two people? Is trust, and are all verbally implied relationships fundamentally a game of chinese whispers?

>> No.13998883

>>13998875
>>Is each person's mental model of language and qualia of what words and concepts mean sufficiently different to completely hinder communication between two people?
obviously fucking not or we couldn't do anything requiring cooperation

>> No.13998905

>>13998883
I'm counting 99% accuracy as complete hindrance here, although that might be a misleading word choice. I'm asking if 100% understanding of anything originating in another's mind is possible, and what that might mean about how meaning is represented in language.

>> No.14000367

>>13998875
Did you just make the thread with Terrence McKenna? Go look at my response there.

Here's some questions you should ask yourself:
Do mental models need to be completely identical for communication to be possible?
Would language be possible if communication wasn't?
Would meaning be possible if it wasn't in some sense shared?
Is meaning something discrete which can be said to be '100%' one thing or another?
Is trust dependent on explicit communication?

You're thinking in the right direction, but you have a lot of work a head of you. Good luck.