[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 2000x2800, IMG_0819.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14226764 No.14226764 [Reply] [Original]

If you've read any of these books: share your opinion. And suggest more depressing literature

>> No.14226770

the outsider by colin wilson might have some interesting recommendations in it

>> No.14226776

Book of Disquiet is too effective. Too alike my own self-hating inner monologue to be able to finish. Highly recommend.

>> No.14226797

>>14226776
God, I hear so much about it

>> No.14226935

>Moravagine, Cendrars
Not depressing at all. Not entertaining either. Contains one page that is thought-provoking.

>No Longer Human, Osamu Dazai
As dull as it's meant to be, I guess. An ok book.

>The Tunnel, Ernesto Sabato
Good enough even if the beginning is a little slow. Kinda 'existentialist'. Decently 'depressing'.

>Notes from the underground, Dosto
I'm not a huge fan but it obviously deserves its 'depressing lit' label. Worth reading.

>Thousand Cranes, Kawabata
Can't remember a thing. Don't wanna reread it.

>Of Mince and Men, Steinbeck
Good. Sad. Good!

>Mouchette, Bernanos
Meh. Not that depressing. Boring prose. Not terrible though, and sad enough. I can understand why it's being rec'd.

>The Road, McCarthy
Boring.

>Stoner, John Williams
Now we're talking. Read it.

>The Death of Ivan Ilyich
That was ok. People should read it. However it's too full of hope and God to be truly depressing.

>> No.14226945

>>14226764
Read about fifteen of them.
You could also try the stranger and the idiot.

>> No.14226952

>>14226935
Yeah Moravagine was boring. I was told it was like Journey to the end of the night, but was disappointed.

>> No.14226952,1 [INTERNAL] 

I read Oblomov recently. I found the book as a whole rather dull but i think that may be because the translation was bad- i say this because Dostoyevsky and other Russian greats have praised his works highly. Despite this, the themes of the book are interesting and along with the poignant ending somewhat redeem the book.
I would highly recommend Hadrian VII

>> No.14227016

I read Oblomov recently. I found the book as a whole rather dull but i think that may be because the translation was bad- i say this because Dostoyevsky and other Russian greats have praised his works highly. Despite this, the themes of the book are interesting and along with the poignant ending somewhat redeem the book.
I would highly recommend Hadrian VII

>> No.14227083

>>14226935
Such a good anon