[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 504 KB, 1455x2375, 81-N8W4ZgUL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14296686 No.14296686 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, this isn't so bad. Decent prose and comfy descriptions of trains. I wonder what the big hubbub is all abou--
>Taggart sat looking down at his desk. She wondered why he resented the necessity of dealing with Rearden, and why his resentment had such an odd, evasive quality. Rearden Steel had been the chief supplier of Taggart Transcontinental for ten years, ever since the first Rearden furnace was fired, in the days when their father was president of the railroad. For ten years, most of their rail had come from Rearden Steel. There were not many firms in the country who delivered what was ordered, when and as ordered. Rearden Steel was one of them. If she were insane, thought Dagny, she would conclude that her brother hated to deal with Rearden because Rearden did his job with superlative efficiency; but she would not conclude it, because she thought that such a feeling was not within the humanly possible.
>“It isn’t fair,” said James Taggart.
>“What isn’t?”
>"That we always give all our business to Rearden. It seems to me we should give somebody else a chance, too. Rearden doesn’t need us; he’s plenty big enough. We ought to help the smaller fellows to develop. Otherwise, we’re just encouraging a monopoly.”
>“Don’t talk tripe, Jim.”
Oh god, I still have 900 pages of this to go.

>> No.14296712

I've not touched Atlas Shrugged, but Anthem was the single worst book I've ever read. The Giver is a better written dystopian novel than that shit.

>> No.14296713

>Jim looked at Dagny
>then Dagny looked at Atlas
>and then Atlas looked at the ground
>and then Atlas shrugged
...really.. come onn

>> No.14296868

>>14296686
I genuinely enjoyed The Fountainhead because it's a paen to artistic integrity in the face of the people, politics, and despite the stereotypes of Rand's views, even profit. I think most people on this board or with an artistic outlook could appreciate it for that reason, it was actually my hippie english professor who recommended it to me. I could never get into Atlas Shrugged, though, because the struggle of the businessman just didn't connect with me.

>> No.14298310

Did Ayn Rand have autism? She was obsessed with machines and money and hated socialites.