Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 2.37 MB, 1280x1107, 7ED5BA3E-FAEE-40D9-A90E-889890E389EF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14634517 No.14634517 [Reply] [Original]

Is it natural to feel superior to those who care for politics? It all seems so pointless to me, and I think searching for metaphysical truths is far more important and exciting.

>> No.14634532
File: 18 KB, 300x250, DkxHQyjU8AAkKYy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14634532

>>14634517
excellent bait

>> No.14634783

>>14634532
He’s right. Politically minded faggots deserve death.

>> No.14634794

>"Idiotes" was the word used in Athenian democracy to describe those only preoccupied with their own, selfish interests, concerned almost exclusively with private, as opposed to public, affairs. They declined to take part in public life, such as democratic government and voting in the Citizens Assembly

>> No.14634861

>>14634517
No, it's just narcissism. If you can't engage with political discourse it's just because you are afraid of conflict, because political conflict is often confrontational.
If you like philosophy, you could just tone it down by making the discourse not personal and truly entertain the possibility of being wrong. But narcissists never do this, which is why they feel comfortable in metaphysics, where it's horribly difficult to prove someone wrong.
This, of course, does not mean that metaphysics is in any way inferior to political discourse. But if you think you can do metaphysics and philosophy in general without touching in politics it's very probable that it is just because you are afraid of people and you'd like to keep the discussion in a field where you can be relatively safe that you won't be attacked/disproven, etc.

>> No.14634864

>>14634517
Most great philosophers were politicians and statesmen.

>> No.14634901

>>14634861
Just to add: the level of political discourse is usually very low, and it is conducted on the same lines on which a discussion on whether football team A or B is better. It is a priori rooting for this or that, which is annoying.
That said, not being able to engage in a calm, well-argued political discussion with someone who holds opposite views is the mark of the intellectual coward.

>> No.14634905

>>14634864
Such as?

>> No.14634906

>>14634861
based. you just described me.

>> No.14634934

>>14634517
Depends on what you mean by "politics".
Violently argue about left wing vs right is kinda retarded, because you still talk about the same bird.
But discussing politics as an extension of ethics is actually one of the greatest topics you can talk about.

>> No.14634967

>>14634517
It depends. There are people who are completely buried in it to the point of calcifying their souls. These indeed are cattle, moving about, struggling for nothing.
And if by metaphysics you mean merely rationalistic closed systems, they are much above politics and end up being close to what the anon posted here >>14634861.

Politics should be sustained by metaphysical principles, since the latter will always be extended into the former (just like the Principle emanates minor unities that form contingent images). The platonic doctrine is the perfect example of how metaphysics is influential and necessary to real political thought.

>> No.14634974

>>14634967
>they are much above politics
they aren't* much above politics.

>> No.14635002

>>14634517
It certainly is natural to feel that way, but it doesn't make you any less of a coper.

>> No.14635031

>>14634861
Why do you think it's narcissistic?

>> No.14635034

>>14635031
Im asking this because I want to know if we are on the same page.

>> No.14635058

>>14634861
That's pretty based, but not wholly accurate. You can like and debate politics without having any solid ideas of your own. This is why political communities hate "centrists". They just try to boost their ego by confusing the conversation with esoteric gotcha arguments and frustrating levels of skepticism. Attributing a lack of interest in politics to cowardice is not explanatory, and runs counter to your description of a ego boosting philosopher.

More likely OP is just too young or narcissistic to care.

>> No.14635066

>>14634794
based anon

>> No.14635090

>>14634517
Do you enjoy the fact that you live in a first world country instead of being raped and genocided in Rwanda? In that case politics is not irrelevant to your life.

>> No.14635111

>>14635090
You seem to have misspelled science.

>> No.14635130

>>14634861
politics are the practical approach or things. how to organize things and persons, its only the practical side. its like the end of a wave. there is too little thought in that. i understand why you see narcissism in refusing to talk about politics. but you are probably biased because you think politics is literally everything and the final form of everything and to avoid it hide some kind of cowardice to confront the truth.
but most narcissists people are usually in politics.

>> No.14635141

>>14634532
>Political minded faggot

>> No.14635193

>>14634517
Not at the face of it, no. But when you considering what 'caring about politics' actually means to people, as a cultural phenomenon, then I would say even playing videogames is superior. If you chose the right videogames you'll only get joy and satisfaction, socialmedia politics gives impotence and toxicity for literally nothing but conforming to someone's power more strictly.

>> No.14635202

>>14634517
Politics is a prisoners’ dilemma. Energy invested in it is ultimately wasted when two sides are fighting each other—but if you don’t invest and your opponents do, you get screwed

>> No.14635211

>>14635111

Yeah, I’m sure scientific development follows political boundaries for reasons completely unrelated to politics

>> No.14635221

>>14634517
you're on the right track but searching for truth is also useless bullshit, that's the next thing to transcend

>> No.14635225

>>14635193
Furthermore, placing weight in 'politics' and some ideology necessitates narrowmindedness and narrowing of interests and ability to parse the world when 'politics' offers inadequate terms. Like slapping conservative/liberal or left/right onto literally everything or being incapable of understanding a worldview or culture because whatever is the source of your politics (generally the elites themselves) deems it under some negative label which shuts your mind down to 'kill them all' when trying to do so. Even if you want to understand you're too entrenched.

>> No.14635228

>>14634517
the physical world is real too, it's just not as real as some other worlds

>> No.14635266

>>14634861
>>14634794
Politics is inherently degenerate and low IQ. How could you have a meaningful interaction with "the mob", which will automatically bring you down to their level.

>> No.14635494
File: 11 KB, 262x192, 1893907665.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14635494

>>14634794
>Whats wrong idiotes? You dont want to participate in our wonderful, pederast, slave society?

>> No.14635670

>>14634517
Yes, I used to care very much for politics when I was younger, but growing older made me see how boring and shallow it is, especially compared to philosophy. It is usually used by young people to gain an identity

>> No.14635678

>>14635670
What about political philosophy?

>> No.14635712

>>14635678
Just a bit more interesting but not by much

>> No.14635998
File: 1.03 MB, 792x767, 1577559918312.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14635998

>>14634861
>If you can't engage with political discourse it's just because you are afraid of conflict

>> No.14636070

>>14634794
>mind control = good
uhhh, okay pal

>> No.14636233

>>14635494
>he doesn't support slavery and pederasty
I don't even recognize this place anymore

>> No.14636243

If you didn’t post here for self assurance? Sure. But posting here strips you of all superiority. Talking about and caring for politics is pointless. Take part or stand by and be taken for a ride.

>> No.14636244

>>14634517
Politics are important, but if you cannot realize their transience then you are a pleb and can go in the train carriages

>> No.14636516

>>14634794
good to know that the psy ops worked even back then
no wonder why so many free thinkers and artists were banished or got got back then

>> No.14636555

>>14634864
Name one (1)

>> No.14636566

>>14634517
You think it's pointless because you're not affected by the status quo changing.

>> No.14636580

>>14634517
yes, it is.
metaphysics is where it's at.

>> No.14636582

>>14635678
Studying political philosophy without studying metaphysics is pointless
t. person who did just that and regrets it

>> No.14637614

>>14634532
>now hand over the means of lasagna production

>> No.14637622

>>14634517
i'd hit it

>> No.14637655
File: 360 KB, 700x908, F3426E6D-0342-49D7-95FD-16302E7C7353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14637655

>>14634517
>>14634783
How stupid.
>metaphysics
Hahah. You are not superior for ignoring the world, you are just a coward or perhaps a dip-head

>> No.14637667
File: 179 KB, 391x318, 906A4270-2B50-404D-BA18-3F35456380C4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14637667

>>14637655
Out of my thread desu

>> No.14637689

>>14634794
How is that relevant to situation we face today?
>all those retards upvoting this post when it has nothing to do with the thread.

The government of Athens is completely different from the the crony capitalist utopia we have today. If I were a citizen back, I would have gladly participated in public affairs to honor my duty as a citizen of the polis. That doesn't mean that it is not pointless to care about politics today, since there is nothing you can do to change anything (unless you are a billionaire), that's not how things work in our society.

>> No.14637693

>>14634794
spook and outdated. do you think a regular free man now can influence politics the way an ancient roman/greek could?
caring about politics today is masturbatory and pointless.

>> No.14637731
File: 1.99 MB, 1023x1801, 53986A1D-AEFE-46FB-899B-89635D24E3F9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14637731

>>14637667
Politics is a big ugly game for the elites and I actually don’t judge the cowardly too harshly. They’re bewildered. But when they get actively mad at those of us who want to do something about the absolute mess the elites heap upon us, then you’re worse than cowards, you’re lapdogs to power.
In any case you ARE political for your stance.

>> No.14637740
File: 407 KB, 498x474, image.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14637740

>>14634517
>searching for metaphysical truths
Let me know when you find them.

>> No.14637742

>>14634517
Given the second sentence, the first sentence makes sense. We live in the land of milk and honey. Other people will take care of infrastructure. Do whatever you want.

>> No.14637758

>>14634517
>Is it natural to feel superior to those who care for politics
Everything is politics, everything is ideology
>B-but muh idealism
LARPing as a Hindu or Buddhist, or being a Christcuck wont fix the world or your shitty lives.
Everything is and is about property, and the contradiction party's have about properties.

>> No.14637786

>>14637731
That’s what I hate about you butterfly, I disagree with OP’s position at well, but you always cannot separate the conceptual topic from your personal practical belief of the system
> ut when they get actively mad at those of us who want to do something about the absolute mess the elites heap upon us
Your critique would have been better if you did not state a specific dogmatic stance, regardless of it is right or not. It’s a statement wholely reliant on context instead of widely applicable critique In itself.

>> No.14637794
File: 44 KB, 319x310, AC9E1AB5-0852-4CF5-9A9E-252E05C83ACB.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14637794

>>14637731
>But when they get actively mad at those of us who want to do something about the absolute mess the elites heap upon us, then you’re worse than cowards, you’re lapdogs to power.
I’m not mad, I just don’t care.
>>14637758
>Everything is politics, everything is ideology
Is a math equation politics? I guess you could say that mathematics falls under ideology if you use that word in the vaguest sense imaginable (a system of ideas and ideals), but I certainly wouldn’t call it politics.

>> No.14637811

>>14634517
You just have your head up your keester.

>> No.14637843
File: 37 KB, 319x310, A23AF549-FE50-4B43-8F6E-67D2C5F3D2DB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14637843

>>14637794
I was of course aiming that at third poster.
You are still taking a political stance by “not caring”

>>14637786
I’m not in a debate class. I ooze myself in my discourse. Who else would?

>> No.14637866

>>14637843
Cam you ooze whatever it is that you ooze in another thread, please?

>> No.14637867

>>14637794
>Is a math equation politics?
Yes, it is possible that there are people how disagree with math, the currant formation of math, or possible solution to unsolved issues in math. Even something as weather or not we should use base 10 or 12. Most people just never consider it because we agree with the status quo. But in many universities there are maths professors in political disagreement with each other.

>>14637843
>You are still taking a political stance by “not caring”
This
Apolitical is still a political position. Non-ideology is an ideology.

>> No.14637877
File: 85 KB, 150x248, DDBA2C7D-3E32-4EB1-AA50-30CA0857AFBF.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14637877

>>14637843
>You are still taking a political stance by “not caring”
Strawman. The OP says “Is it natural to feel superior to those who care for politics?”, not “Is it natural to superior to those who participate in politics?”
>>14637867
>Yes, it is possible that there are people how disagree with math, the currant formation of math, or possible solution to unsolved issues in math.
But you would agree the math equation itself isn’t inherently political, right?

>> No.14637913

Being Apolitical is a position regarding politics, but is not itself a political position.

>> No.14637939

I feel like a lot of people only or mostly associate politics with the useless internet screaming that leads to absolute nothing.

>> No.14637963

>>14637877
>the math equation itself
Yes it is, if two math PhDs are in disagreement over a equation thats then political.

Maybe you mean the concept of there being such a thing as an equation?
I would say yes to that also, but that's starting to get in to schizophrenic territory. But then again just because some one is mad doesn't mean they don't hold a position on reality, we just don't care for it nowadays. But there was a time when people on the schizo. spec. where held up as very important, (not that, that mean they should be now).

>> No.14637990

>>14637963
>Yes it is, if two math PhDs are in disagreement over a equation thats then political.
That’s why I said the math equation itself. If you try to bring in the fact that two math professors might be in disagreement over the equation, you’re disregarding the word ‘itself’ (on its own).

>> No.14638018

>>14637990
>Maybe you mean the concept of there being such a thing as an equation?
>I would say yes to that also, but that's starting to get in to schizophrenic territory. But then again just because some one is mad doesn't mean they don't hold a position on reality, we just don't care for it nowadays. But there was a time when people on the schizo. spec. where held up as very important, (not that, that mean they should be now).

>> No.14638053
File: 205 KB, 553x460, FE6B886C-1AD2-44B0-A212-08FBFCC2260F.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14638053

>>14638018
>>>Maybe you mean the concept of there being such a thing as an equation?
No, I mean the equation itself, e.g. 2x + 3 = 9.
>>>I would say yes to that also, but that's starting to get in to schizophrenic territory. But then again just because some one is mad doesn't mean they don't hold a position on reality, we just don't care for it nowadays. But there was a time when people on the schizo. spec. where held up as very important, (not that, that mean they should be now).
This reads like schizophrenia. Do you concede? Do you and Butterfly agree that you were both BTFO?

>> No.14638057

>>14638053
>No, I mean the equation itself, e.g. 2x + 3 = 9.
Yes, there a people who disagree with that, there for its political .

>> No.14638074
File: 334 KB, 800x800, BB96F859-7268-4446-9C0D-5AC83246260A.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14638074

>>14638057
>Yes, there a people who disagree with that
Again, you’re disregarding the word ‘itself’.
>there for
Are you ESL by any chance?

>> No.14638077

>>14638074
>Are you ESL by any chance?
No, but I am dyslexic.

>> No.14638082

>>14638077
Can you say “Butterfly and I were both BTFO today by a based nice girl poster. Sorry nice poster!” in the thread for me?

>> No.14638085

>>14638082
>“Butterfly and I were both BTFO today by a based nice girl poster. Sorry nice poster!”

>> No.14638088
File: 180 KB, 319x310, 70F570F8-449D-453C-A40F-34ABC5F8BDBB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14638088

>>14638085
Now say it without the greentext and quotes.

>> No.14638096

>>14638057
Lmao are you retarded?

>> No.14638097

>>14638088
Butterfly and I were both BTFO today by a based nice girl poster. Sorry nice poster!

>> No.14638100

Until you finally come to the realization that there are no metaphysical truths and have to begin coping with the fact that we all live in a fake, nonexistent existence by dressing up with 25 layers of irony in order to make ourselves 'happy' even though happiness is a societal construct designed to make us feel better about ourselves and distract us from the truth that everything is nothing and nothing is everything, therefore reality is nothing.

>> No.14638109

A definition, if stretched too far, loses its raison d'être—definition.

>> No.14638113

>>14634517
not caring about politics < caring about politics < not caring about politics

I don't know which group you belong to, so maybe your feelings are justified.

>> No.14639056
File: 100 KB, 400x400, 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14639056

>>14638082
Taking a "non-political" stance you side with whatever the status quo is. Even if you ridicule any of it. This stance seems to say, "You are here to amuse me, continue" Feeling superior but foolishly thinking you're above it all somehow. You are, most likely, below it like the rest of us, and this is why you hide away from it.

>> No.14639094

>>14637614
kek

>> No.14639146

>>14635058
Most people hate centrists because they want to force them to either be on their side or call them an enemy already, is part of the mob thinking to not accept non binary ideas

>> No.14639160

>>14634517

Concerning yourself with searching for meaning in either if those categories is a waste of time. Have fun not fucking girls or going to parties because.

>> No.14639189

>>14634905
>>14636555
Confucius (!)

>> No.14639196

>>14639160
I hate women why would I want to fuck them, I take pride in rejecting their harlot advances

>> No.14639240

>>14637913
It implicitly supports the status quo which does make it a political position.

>> No.14639279
File: 103 KB, 500x500, jason-reza-jorjani-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14639279

If you aren't looking at the implications of your thought for politics, ethics, aesthetics, and metaphysics then you aren't doing philosophy right. The fragmentation of philosophy into "specialists" is what killed philosophy. We need to revive it by taking it seriously again as a worldview-forming force. This is the time to bring out a new generation of real philosophers, /lit/. Take up the task and think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTNON7Rz1PY&t=2052s

>> No.14639295

>>14634517
Politics leads nowhere but to corporate and consumerist interests. My philosophy to just enjoying shit most people find mundane, wanting a simple life comparable to 19th century farm life, having a bunch of kids. Doubt there's a label for it.

>> No.14639298

>>14635266
>Politics is inherently degenerate and low IQ.
>Plato and Aristotle were low IQ
absolute state of /lit/
>>14639279
this guy has the right idea

>> No.14639456

>>14637786
>“I have never bothered or asked”, Goethe said to Friedrich Soret in 1830, “in what way I was useful to society as a whole; I contented myself with expressing what I recognized as good and true. That has certainly been useful in a wide circle; but that was not the aim; it was the necessary result.”
Excerpt From
Leisure: The Basis of Culture, Joseph Pieper

>> No.14639783

>>14634517
If you aren't rich, an influential power player, politician, or a revolutionary currently planning a specific action to push your ideology caring about politics is so fucking pathetic. All you're accomplishing is making yourself retarded and annoying the people around you with bullshit. it's one giant cope for your lack of any real world accomplishments

>> No.14639811
File: 29 KB, 360x341, 1580492913927.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14639811

>>14639783

>> No.14639919

>>14639783
>a revolutionary
You mean a larper. Still pathetic.

>> No.14639994
File: 434 KB, 1036x1920, 10B57782-3348-4735-BE14-AB4D937DAED8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14639994

>>14639919
<—This is a LARPer. She is pretending to be Bulma. A live action role-play for fun.
A revolutionary is someone who wants and acts to make changes to a gigantic and dangerous social system that is crunching the world to a dry husk. It’s a big task and there are obviously enemies lurking everywhere. This is not a game to us. A social role, but not play acting. A life long commitment, ideally, not a blue wig one removes after the convention

>> No.14639999

>>14639994
How is shitposting on shit part of this cause?

>> No.14640004
File: 14 KB, 334x449, 0161D7C1-C944-4722-A6D1-53C98619672C.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14640004

>>14639999
We stop to eat, sleep, shit, play too. How’s your day

>> No.14640015

>>14634517
In the absence of inherent meaning what is more meaningful than a nonselfish act like being politically active?

>> No.14640036

>>14639994
shes cosplaying not larping dumb cunt

>> No.14640043

>>14640004
What is your take on what needs to be done in real life?

>> No.14640059

>>14639994
Case in point.

>> No.14640069

>>14634517
>It all seems so pointless to me
If you're not at the table you're on it
Deliberately indulging in make-believe shit makes you the spit roast

>> No.14640090
File: 57 KB, 462x462, F8B5B070-7C14-462D-AABB-F793BC092D9E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14640090

>>14640036
Same thing. The role is Bulma. Doesn’t matter is it’s anime, Star Trek or a D&D character.
Socialists don’t have costumes.

>>14640043
Nice try FBI

>> No.14640096

>>14640090
your a fag but that picture is lovely

>> No.14640103
File: 55 KB, 325x500, A315C3FB-C2F9-4565-9AAE-FB08F6A3C46E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
14640103

>>14640096

>> No.14640105

>>14640090
pathetic

>> No.14640117

>>14637794
>>14637667
>>14637877
>>14638053
>>14638074
>>14638088
Can you put on a trip like the other nice poster did? I want to add you to my filter list next to the other nice poster.

>> No.14640564

>>14638100
"There are no metaphysical truths" is a metaphysical truth. Therefore you believe that there is one metaphysical truth, that there are no metaphysical truths.

>> No.14641113

>>14635221
stan?

>> No.14641185

metaphysics > telos > ethics > politics

>> No.14641200

>>14634517
The problem with politics is that it cannot solve anything important, but it can pile up a ton of obstacles for anything and everything, including spiritual growth.
It's not a path that cannot be overcome, but it usually escalates to suicide by ape.

>> No.14641297

>>14637693
>dude politics is masturbatory lmao
>just sit around contemplating “metaphysical truths” with me bro, that’s where all the real work is getting done

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action