[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 103 KB, 748x1176, 61dnXJmi7QL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15054819 No.15054819 [Reply] [Original]

Over the past few days I have been reading Dominique Venner's "Rebel Heart" as it was recently translated and published in my language.
I must say, it is an extremly interesting perspective on the war in Algeria. Published in 1994 it also gives an overview of the history and diversity of the French radical right, who over time realized that their Gaullist government was more of an enemy than the Muslim freedom fighters in Algiers.
Most importantly though, Venner allows the reader to gain insight to the motifs and feelings which moved the young generation in post-WW2 France.
Sadly and unbelievably it is not available in English so far, but perhaps a talented translator will take it upon himself to allow English readers access to this classical work in the future.

Besides his political activity Venner was also active as a historian and weapons expert. His mortal life ended in 2013 when he shot himself before the altar of Notre Dame cathedral.

Has anyone here perhaps read "Le cœur rebelle" in French or is at least familiar with the author?

From the chapter "Farewell to the Arms":
>The only truth is to hold oneself upright, come what may; to stand up to the absurdity of this world, thereby giving it form and purpose; to work and to fight as a man and to love as a woman. [...]
>Action and contemplation overlap more than one might imagine. Every man who dares to give himself an inner form is the creator of a world, a lone guardian at the borders between hope and the time.

>> No.15054830

>>15054819
I've read his The Shock of History and read a lot of his articles around 2013-14. He was kind of on my radar before his suicide but only after that did I really pay attention. I'm learning French at the moment pretty much purely so I can access writers like Venner who are just never going to be translated into English

>> No.15054875

>>15054819
I read his manifesto "for a positive critique", which is historically relevant for the european right as it sparked a new way of thinking that focussed on creating an intellectual and popular environment to foster traditional and "right" values instead of violent action to achieve a change in culture. in short, it kicked of metapolitical ambitions on the right. It is an interesting primer to "why metapolitics instead of ns larping", but nowadays many of this is common sense, perhaps to an overwhelming degree. i liked his last work, "a samurai from the occident" or whatever it might be called in english, better. there he lays out his reasons for suicide, a tragic view of life, what we can do ourselves in these strange times and so on. i don't agree with his musings on how the illiad and the odyssee should be the most important texts for a new, vaguely defined european spiritualism instead of christianity and think they are rather ridiculous and wishful thinking at best though. did you read the german version of coure rebelle? it's peak aesthetics

>> No.15055112
File: 1.11 MB, 1500x796, IMG_20200409_1018374.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15054830
Are there any articles in particular you'd recommend? I'd love to learn French myself, though for the moment I'm occupied with Spanish. There is an excellent small publisher here in Germany which since 2016 has been translating several of Venner's works, as well as other French right-wingers such as Benoist and Brasillach.

>>15054875
"For a positive Critique" is next in line for me. I'm sure much of its content has already been reiterated by certain metapolitical forces but I'm looking forward to reading it all compiled and from his perspective. And yes, it is peak aesthetics, though not quite as much as Die Kadetten des Alcázar. Stein and Kaiser certainly know their craft.
I didn't know about A Samurai from the Occident yet, though he referenced Samurai a couple of times, as well as Ritter, Tod und Teufel, which adorns the cover.
Concerning his spirituality, I'm wondering when during the course of his life he developed or refined it, since there seems to be a huge difference between the young and the old Venner. I find myself very much agreeing with his metaphysical remarks while his de facto denial of Christianity alienates without surprising, since it's a common theme among most of the (metapolitically relevant) modern right. None of them are able to create an actual vision. They remain vague, since they want religion only as a means to an end; an end which they intuitively identify as worthy of achieving, but it has no real spiritual basis for them.
Meanwhile the traditional Christians are becoming rusty and reactionary, certainly due to the accelerating disintegration of Western society. That the opposite is possible proves the shining light of Hans Milch.

>> No.15055328
File: 738 KB, 672x1020, venn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15055112
>none of them are able to create an actual vision
that will be one of the crucial questions right thought will have to deal with in the coming years and decades. without a constructive, believable myth on the one hand and actual faith in higher principles on the other there will be no proper right wing in europe. without those it will be relegated to partypopulists, "conservatives" and rusty larpers of varying shades.
>meanwhile traditional christians are becoming rusty and reactionary
naturally, their dogma was shattered at vatican II at the latest, the reigning pope is a liberal and christianity itself has lots of universal aspects, certainly more than it does ethnocentric ones. further radicalisation in a sort of nostalgic backwardness (throne and altar thinking) is understandable given the current situation, but futile. those times will never come back. perhaps a european version of dugins mystic i is more appropriate, i dont really know, but at least he tries to unify tradition and present. on other hand, pagan larping is exactly that or thinly veiled atheism, i feel. lichtmesz dealt with these questions in Kann nur ein Gott uns retten, but I'm not completely sold on his position.
also, i dont like the new cover on for a positive critique, wolf pms cover was much better, pic related