[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 115 KB, 280x437, Richard_Adams_WatershipDown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1521018 No.1521018 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of Richard Adams's Watership Down.

Personally, I am very fond of this book. I also enjoy the band Fall of Efrafa which deals with the politcal undertones of Watership Down.

>> No.1521032

Love it. Any book from an animal's point of view tends to be highly enjoyable for me.

>> No.1521033

It's good, but I totally see that it's insensitive to feminism.

>> No.1521088

I like that book and that band.

And to say that it is insensitive to feminism is taking the allegory way too literally, they are still animals. And the female rabbit who leads the escape from Efrafa is obviously legit as balls.

Captain Campion and Blackavar are my favourite characters.

>> No.1521094

>>1521088
I don't think you've looked up the feminist criticism of it.

>> No.1521155

>>1521094

So? I've read the book. Paraphrase the criticism for me.

>> No.1521157

Only read (and enjoyed) Plague dogs by Adams, vuz apparently Watership is nowhere to be found in my country

>> No.1521158

I've read it, and I really enjoyed it. I have a mind like a sieve though so I can only remember vague details.

>> No.1521159

>>1521155
The book is based on I think it's called "The Private Life of Rabbits", where it's shown the role of the doe is to start the new burrows, and that, in general, rabbits are pretty matriarchal creatures. That the book goes against this very clear dynamic is pretty dumb.

While people often respond "oh but it's just about animals", it misrepresents the animals and imposes a very different dynamic on them. There isn't any good reason to have changed that dynamic either, as far as I can see.

>> No.1521180

The animated film made me cry when I was little.

>> No.1521190

Love it. Non-anthropomorphic animals are cool.