[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 58 KB, 463x325, pepe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15254138 No.15254138 [Reply] [Original]

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

>> No.15254155
File: 133 KB, 783x568, 1579542138206.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15254138
Solid advice. I think the worst thing you can do is force yourself to read beyond your threshold of attention.

>> No.15254175

>>15254138
This copypasta isn't even funny

>> No.15254180
File: 209 KB, 686x526, coronatrice.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I somehow managed to read all of Umineko in a few weeks, around 2800~ pages.
Thanks Corona!

>> No.15254296 [DELETED] 

Two other pieces of advice:
>REMOVE YOURSELF FROM ANY DISTRACTIONS/TEMPTATIONS.
If you are an avid masturbator, reading in your bed or in the bath or any other place your dick is easily accessible might not be a good idea. Similarly, if you are imageboard brain, you might want to remove yourself from places where you have access to wifi. Eventually, the goal should be to get rid of your temptations entirely -- whether this be cancelling your Wifi, castrating yourself, etc. -- so that you can live purely for the benefit of the soul.

>MAKE DETAILED NOTES. TRY TO ORGANISE YOUR NOTES NEATLY AND PUT A LOT OF EFFORT INTO THEM. DO IT AS IF YOU WERE EXPLAINING THE BOOK TO SOMEONE ELSE. GIVE YOUR OWN CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE BOOK IN THE NOTES.
I personally use Microsoft Onenote and try to lay everything out neatly and accessibly, giving detailed, eloquent analyses of what I've read. I include pictures, quotes, colour codes, timelines, hyperlinks, etc. when necessary, but I'm diligent in my efforts not to overdo this so as to make the notes overly embellished and hard to navigate. This helps break the wall of mental separation between you and the text you're engaging with. Instead of just passively consuming the information, you are now actively involved in it, as a teacher and a critic. Even if you are not actually going to present your notes to others, it will still help to put yourself in the teacher's mindset. This will not only motivate you to read more but will get you thinking deeper about the texts you're reading.

>> No.15254314

>>15254138
been a while since i've seen this

>> No.15254315
File: 1.14 MB, 3240x2290, How to Read a Book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Two other pieces of advice:
>REMOVE YOURSELF FROM ANY DISTRACTIONS/TEMPTATIONS.
If you are an avid masturbator, reading in your bed or in the bath or any other place your dick is easily accessible might not be a good idea. Similarly, if you are imageboard brain, you might want to remove yourself from places where you have access to wifi. Eventually, the goal should be to get rid of your temptations entirely -- whether this be cancelling your Wifi, castrating yourself, etc. -- so that you can live purely for the benefit of the soul.

>MAKE DETAILED NOTES. TRY TO ORGANISE YOUR NOTES NEATLY AND PUT A LOT OF EFFORT INTO THEM. DO IT AS IF YOU WERE EXPLAINING THE BOOK TO SOMEONE ELSE. GIVE YOUR OWN CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE BOOK IN THE NOTES.
I personally use Microsoft Onenote and try to lay everything out neatly and accessibly, giving detailed, eloquent analyses of what I've read. I include pictures, quotes, colour codes, timelines, hyperlinks, etc. when necessary, but I'm diligent in my efforts not to overdo this so as to make the notes overly embellished and hard to navigate. This helps break the wall of mental separation between you and the text you're engaging with. Instead of just passively consuming the information, you are now actively involved in it, as a teacher and a critic. Even if you are not actually going to present your notes to others, it will still help to put yourself in the teacher's mindset. This will not only motivate you to read more but will get you thinking deeper about the texts you're reading.

>> No.15254332

>>15254296
>I include pictures, quotes, colour codes, timelines, hyperlinks, etc. when necessary, but I'm diligent in my efforts not to overdo this so as to make the notes overly embellished and hard to navigate.

Nigga are you a woman or what?

>> No.15254333
File: 113 KB, 750x798, 1585006071190.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15254315
>other places your dick is easily accessible

My dick is attached to my body. It is easily accessible everywhere I go.

>> No.15254352

>>15254333
DO YOU MASTURBATE IN PUBLIC? DO YOU MASTURBATE IN YOUR CAR? DO YOU MASTURBATE AT THE LIBRARY? DO YOU MASTURBATE IN YOUR KITCHEN? DO YOU MASTURBATE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM? DO YOU MASTURBATE IN NATURE? DO YOU MASTURBATE SITTING AT YOUR DESK? I'M TALKING ABOUT ENVIRONMENTS WHERE YOUR DICK IS MENTALLY ACCESSIBLE, NOT PHYSICALLY.

>> No.15254403

>>15254333
Clip it off

>> No.15254412

>>15254352
unironically yes to all those questions

>> No.15254488

>>15254138
Yep. I always have at least one fiction and one non-fiction going simultaneously.

>> No.15254504

>>15254315
post a screenshot of one of your OneNote spreads, I want to see how autistic this is

>> No.15254519

>>15254352
I live in a 4 square meter cage on my hometown's market square.