[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.72 MB, 3000x2108, 1387475838756.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15633682 No.15633682 [Reply] [Original]

I felt betrayed by this book. I was lured in by the amazing depth and nuances with which people, their interactions and their emotions are described. And of course by the main thread of the story (Katjuša and Nechljudov).
But then these things progressively subsided to leave space for philosophical, ethical and socio-economic matters, that were discussed in a way that I found almost banal. In the ending the story of Katjuša and Nechljudov seemed almost forgotten by Tolstoj, and the answer to all the seemingly unsolvable questions that pressed Nechljudov all throughout the story suddenly came in a not very believable epiphany while reading random pages of the gospel of Matthew. And even then, these answers came to him only, because I the reader haven't understood what one was supposed to do where he in place of the prince in that historical context. No man has a right to punish another man, for every man is guilty in front of god, we should all show mercy to each other, and the very evil of society comes from not realizing this. OK, but then, what is Nechljudov actually going to do? Proselytism and evangelization? Join the revolution? How could he be so happy at the end? After verifying himself during his journey how officials, judges and politicians have an immoral conduct while being convinced of behaving rightly, blind to the damage that they do to society? And after understanding how this social and bureaucratic structure came into being and how it maintains itself unchanged and unmovable? Even if he saw the truth himself, he cannot hope to change things.
Now to be clear I didn't expect Tolstoj to answer these things at all, but since he brought up all these philosophical themes in place of a beautiful story about people, I would have expected something that made more sense.

>> No.15633690
File: 55 KB, 346x322, 1590713223195.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15633682
>(contains spoiler)
imagine reading for plot