[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 399 KB, 1000x650, Crayons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1590343 No.1590343 [Reply] [Original]

I recently learned that my sister took a world literature course in high school in which only they following books were taught-

>Life of Pi
>Siddhartha
>Julius Caesar
>A Dolls House
>Into the Wild

Obviously this is a horrible list for a world lit. course. Every single author is a white male, and the only culture outside the Europe/North America that's explored is Indian culture. So /lit/, my question to you is what authors or specific works would you want to see taught in a world literature course?

>> No.1590348

it's fine

stop bitching

as long as ibsen and JC are there

>> No.1590353

>>1590348
European theatre does not a world literature course make.

>> No.1590356

>>1590353
i agree but it could be so much worse

is this a high school class?

besides none of those are actually bad

>> No.1590364

>>1590356
I raged at Dolls House

>> No.1590378

>>1590356
Saying that something could be much worse isn't an argument, it's a dodge. I am aware that it could have been worse. Hell, they could have bent all the students over the desks, given them AIDS and called it performance art. Whether or not the reading list in question is at the absolute extreme end of the quality spectrum is not the issue here.

The issue is also not the quality of any of those books. That complaint appears exactly nowhere in this post. The point is that for a world literature course, this reading list is very poorly representative of different traditions and cultures outside of Europe/the anglosphere.

>> No.1590382

the world lit teacher at my high school had jonathan livingston seagull on the reading list

lotta disappointed nerdy black chicks in that class

>> No.1590383

>>1590378
alright i can see that

but you have to acknowledge the fact that anglo lit largely dominates literature as a whole

>> No.1590391

>>1590383
Yeah, that's true. Sigh.

Well anyway, Fabulous, are there any particular works you would like to see in a world lit. course?

>> No.1590398

Im not surprised, but really? Couldn't even pull out some "Things Fall Apart"? :( KK Whites.

I liked a Doll's House . . . satisfactory rage inducing lit, plus it was fun listening to my class argue about shit.

>> No.1590401

>>1590391
Gilgamesh and the 4 chinese canonical novels deserve some time