[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 161 KB, 645x1024, 1572211264261.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15928748 No.15928748 [Reply] [Original]

At the risk of sounding like a fucking idiot, any chance that this has been misinterpreted? That he was truly on the verge of something great before Kurtz got snatched away?

The book spoke surprisingly positive about the him in the late section and I don't think all of it were white lies to the woman, just what his last words were(n't).
Also what is 'my intended'? Reading up on explanations it seems like it's the chick at the end, the but the way I interpreted it, was that it had to do with the revelations that he had in the deep jungle and intending to put something into motion had he not died.

>> No.15928761

>>15928748
Naaah man, like, I didn't even finish reading your post. Just watch apocalypse now and chill dude

>> No.15928777

>>15928761
AN definitely follows the established notion (Kurtz although wise is fucked in the head, removing his influence is for the best).
But I wonder if HoD is more left open to interpretation.

>> No.15929379

>>15928748
In my point of view, the book explores the human psyche to its deepest animalistic level. The farer they went into the jungle, the more cruel the people became. The inherent evil of mankind can be overcome by self-discipline which physiologically is a limited resource based on glucose. The book basically picks up on the concept of the "Empathy-Gap". An extremely harsh, cruel and unfamiliar environmet, such as the jungle, might destroy all self-control a civilized human has. "The horror" is what is left when you reduce a person to its most basic instincts.
To my mind, Kurtz went insane because he witnessed the true nature of mankind and was not able to cope with this realization. They were not onto the verge of something great. They were onto the evilness which deeply roots in all of us.
This is how I perceived the story, though I might be also on the risk of sounding like a fucking idiot or at least like a pseud. Hope this helps.

>> No.15929988

>>15928748
It's about limit experiences. If you consider the exploration of new psychic spaces "great" then maybe he was. Marlowe was certainly in awe.

>> No.15930025

>>15929379
Alright, I can see that being correct. The reason I wonder is because I didn't discover much evil within the book concerning his actions and some of it might be explained.
Yes, he had a house with a fence of heads attached to it, but that might not have been because he desired it so. It's also revealed that Kurtz was behind some of the setbacks on Marlow's journey, but that might have also been that Kurtz perceived the company and its people a greater evil/ threat to the place he was attached to, so it could've been that he was protecting the place.
There were stories where he agressively collected ivory like it's the last thing on earth, but that might have been earlier on, and maybe he mellowed out a bit.
Maybe I'm reaching but it surprised me how much of it seemed to have been open to interpretation as I read the story.

>> No.15930104

>>15930025
>Maybe I'm reaching but it surprised me how much of it seemed to have been open to interpretation as I read the story.
This might be due to the story being about exploring unknown territory which generally leaves a lot unexplained, not only to the reader but also to the protagonists itself. Additionally, Joseph Conrad could have intended it to match with the general message as well as atmosphere of the book. To me, exploring also always comes hand in hand with interpreting the new.