[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 317x500, you suck lit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1603534 No.1603534 [Reply] [Original]

PROBABLY WILL BE STARTING MOBY-DICK TODAY, ANYONE INTERESTED IN READING IT?

ALSO, I AM TRYING TO GET INTO AUTHORS OTHER THAN RUSSIANS, I WILL BE READING SOME CONRAD, STEINBECK, A LITTLE BIT MORE CAMUS I'VE YET TO READ AND A BIT OF POLISH WORKS TOO. IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE SHOOT THEM MY WAY!

>> No.1603545

Steinbeck is shit.

I recommend Borges, Carroll, Pynchon, Kafka, Joyce, Flaubert, and Cervantes. There, you have solid authors from everywhere.

>> No.1603548

>>1603545
>Steinbeck is shit.

Spoken like a true child.

>> No.1603560

>>1603545
SPECIFIC WORKS WOULD BE NICE, IF YOU DON'T MIND.

>> No.1603565

>>1603548
Explain to me what's good about dry prose and shallow philosophies.

>> No.1603567

>>1603545
> Borges, Carroll, Pynchon, Kafka, Joyce, Flaubert, and Cervantes.

all those authors are pseudo intellectuals except for joyce and with that kind of reading list i doubt you get the full flavor of him

>> No.1603568

>I AM TRYING TO GET INTO AUTHORS OTHER THAN RUSSIANS
looks like you finally stop reading shit thank god

>> No.1603569

East of Eden by Steinbeck
The Stranger by Camus
Nausea by Sartre

>> No.1603579

>>1603565
Please read East of Eden

PLEASE
PLEASE

>> No.1603584

>>1603580
the brothers karamazov is boring i put it down 300 pages in

>> No.1603583

>>1603560
Respectively:

Borges - Ficciones
Carroll - Alice
Pynchon - V.
Kafka - The Hunger Artist
Joyce - The Portrait...
Flaubert - Madame Bolvary
Cervantes - Don Quixote

for best introductory works

>> No.1603582

east of eden is so baller

>> No.1603580

>>1603568
NO, HAVEN'T STOPPED. IT'S JUST THERE ISN'T AS MUCH OUT THERE FOR ME TO READ THAT I HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO. I'LL BE READING THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV SHORTLY, AND STILL QUITE A FEW OF TOLSTOY'S SHORTER FICTION THAT I NEED TO READ.
>>1603569
READ TWO AND ALREADY HAVE EAST OF EDEN ON MY KINDLE. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE, WOULD APPRECIATE IT GREATLY.

>> No.1603587

>>1603569
SORRY, JUST CHECKED KINDLE, IT'S CANNERY ROW I HAVE ON IT, NOT EAST OF EDEN. BUT YES, I WILL BE READING EAST OF EDEN SOON, BUT AS MENTIONED I'LL BE READING MOBY-DICK AND THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV SHORTLY, SO I'LL WAIT A BIT BEFORE I HIT THIS DOOR-STOPPER.

>> No.1603601

>>1603587
COOL. BET YOU'VE READ NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND ALREADY. UM. ONE A SIDE NOTE AND A LESS SERIOUS NOVEL, TRY WHITE FANG BY JACK LONDON, BUT ONLY IF YOU LOVE DOGS

>> No.1603603

>>1603583
THANKS MAN, THIS YEAR I CAN PRETTY MUCH ONLY READ PRE WW-II (WILL MAKE SOME EXCEPTIONS FOR POST FOR AUTHORS I HAVE ALREADY READ, OR THINGS PUBLISHED DURING WW-II), SO I MOVED 'A HUNGER ARTIST' AND 'FICCIONES' TO MY CURRENTLY-READING LIST ON GOODREADS, WHICH MEANS I WILL BE READING THEM IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

ALREADY READY MADAME BOVARY AND DON QUIXOTE, WILL WAIT LONGER FOR JOYCE'S WORKS, AND NOT A BIG FAN OF CHILDREN'S STORIES. THANKS A TONNE THOUGH MAN!

>> No.1603608

>>1603601
YEAH, I HAVE READ IT. I READ THE CALL OF THE WILD YEARS BACK, BUT DIDN'T THINK MUCH OF IT

>> No.1603619

>>1603608
WHITE FANG IS A LOT BETTER, BUT I DUN WANNa FORCE IT ON YOU. HAS THE MOST PLEASURABLE AND PLEASING ENDING EVER.

REC ME SOMTHING NOW PLEASE

>> No.1603635

>>1603567
>Cervantes
>Pseudo-Intellectual
>Implying Don Quixote is intended to be intellectual in any way
You poor soul, you were completely trolled by Cervantes

>> No.1603659
File: 17 KB, 250x225, Lawson1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1603534

>I AM TRYING TO GET INTO AUTHORS OTHER THAN RUSSIANS

Any Australian lit on the horizon?

(A Yank was wondering whether you'd actually read any in a Patrick White/Aussie lit thread the other day and has piqued my curiosity on the matter.)

Also I'm hopefully getting Moby Dick next week from Book Depository (lol Aussie book prices). Though it'll probably be too late for when you finish it and inevitably have a thread on it.

>> No.1603668

>all caps

This hurts my eyes.

>> No.1603681

>>1603668

In defence of the guy: he's not using a trip, yet he retains uniqueness and it honestly looks like he's yelling everything he says which is mildly amusing.

Well, at least the voice in my head that I sub-vocalise his posts in is.

>> No.1603767

>>1603659
ONE DAY MY FRIEND, ONE DAY I WILL READ SOME AUSTRALIAN LIT. BUT NOT FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

FEEL FREE TO KEEP SUGGESTIONS COMING, HAVEN'T HAD ANYTHING RECOMMEND THAT WASN'T ALREADY READ OR MARKED AS TO-READ :(

>> No.1603838

Hey CAPSGUY, since you've apparently largely themed your reading so far with largely Russian literature, can I assume you're going to be doing the same for American literature? I think a lot of modernist Ameri-lit is similar to Russian literature in a lot of ways--realism; spare, blunt prose; lives of characters in relatively ordinary conditions being elevated to a mythic level...etc. If you plan on following on this course, then I definitely second Steinbeck (specifically "East of Eden"), and also suggest Hemingway... perhaps "For Whom the Bell Tolls" since you appear to have read a fair amount of war-related books. Then, of course, is a strong contender for The Great American Novel--Ken Kesey's "Sometimes a Great Notion." I really think it's one of the best books I've ever read, and that it would suit your tastes very well.

Also, look into Saul Bellow, who was greatly influenced by the Russian masters. Maybe try "Dangling Man" or what's widely considered his masterpiece, "The Adventures of Augie March."