[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 828x805, 1583878182082.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16152475 No.16152475 [Reply] [Original]

Each day pass, and more and more I realize mass literacy was a mistake.
The vast majority of the population, most probably even myself, should have never left the fields. We'd probably happier too, and the sciences and arts wouldn't be handicapped by retards.

>> No.16152526

>>16152475
Mass literacy was probably unavoidable on an ethical level, in the sense that someone from a non-literate family who became literate and enjoyed the financial benefits of being so would feel a duty to make sure more among the next generation were literate, etc. Not to mention the decline of farming and those kinds of jobs, in favour of jobs where literacy is necessary.

That said, we would probably suffer less had we remained sheltered within our isolated communities, with the notion of a country as something we only really considered on national holidays and via newspapers and sports events, and the context of our lives extending no further than the nearest large town. Religiosity would probably even mean more to most people than national pride, although both can severely disfigure a human being, especially the illiterate kind, by preaching perverse ideologies which do not have that person's best interests at heart.

Father Leonid, a relatively significant figure in the history of Russian monasticism, wrote that "Unless you become as little children, you canot enter the Kingdom of God", and I interpret that as encouraging a state of thinking which sheds (or at least sheds pride in) all that has been acquired in the years since birth which is harmful to the thinker on a universal, timeless level, including all biases, hatreds, resentments, petty opinions, material addictions and so on.

>> No.16152564

>>16152475
But the majority of the people in the world are not literate, they don't understand what they read. Schools let kids enter the adult life without passable understanding of what's happening around them, or the means to learn more, and that's one major source of all our problems.

>> No.16152579

>>16152475
Go dig some ditches, serf

>> No.16152599

>>16152475
>The vast majority of the population, most probably even myself, should have never left the fields. We'd probably happier too,
Go lift heavy weights. I am completely genuine in my belief that it would solve the sadfagging of some 80% of posters here.
>nuh-uh, not me, my angst is special
Sure buddy, it always is, but have you even tried deadlifting?

>> No.16152967

Have you ever tried exercise? Mass literacy wasn't a mistake, globalism was. The arts and sciences wouldn't be improved if we reduced the talent pool to the few who can afford literacy and are interested enough to persue them. Sheltered teenager opinion.

>> No.16153191
File: 1.61 MB, 504x458, 1581278454369.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16152967
>insinuate opponent must be physically unfit
>shift blame to preferred -ism boogeyman
>dispense platitudes
>deem opponent's opinion intellectually immature
This is the basic framework of your and everyone of your type's possible responses.
Education geared towards roping in as many kids as possible and trying to make competent scholars out of them has been a disaster. It has lowered education down to the lowest common denominator, down to school being a glorified day care for barely sapient apes.

>> No.16153218
File: 125 KB, 736x586, 1593960029170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No, but genre fiction, movies, video games and everything else containing stories was a mistake.
It fed people this false view of the world, and now everybody believes themselves to be living in some sort of a story. They think other people are just characters in their play, and that they will have an arc and live happily ever after. Worst of all, they believe themselves to be movie stars and act out the shallow tropes and roles that media feeds to them.

>> No.16153231

>>16152475
Then go kill yourself retard

>> No.16153368

>>16152475
It is impossible to return back. Our 'being' is nowhere near fields right now. We are too rational.

>> No.16153544

>>16153191
Okay, your response does not prove mass literacy was a mistake. The school system and society in general needs to change for the better but how exactly is literacy to blame for this? Do you oppose the existence of libraries? Do you oppose the concept of education in general? You understand that you would be one of the illiterates if it was not taught in school, right? Why do you want to be an npc?