[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 80 KB, 579x612, reading-with-kids-girl-writes-learn-to-read.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1650097 No.1650097 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, /lit/.

What do you think it means to be a writer? I've always been interested in writing ever since I was a child and they tasked us with writing our own stories in English class. That is, I've always liked the idea of it, but I never really had a way with words. To be frank, my stories always sucked. They had no depth.

So what makes a story interesting? I have the sudden urge to write one, but I know right now that it's not going to be any good. I'm not being hard on myself; I'm being HONEST. I lack the skills to fill my stories with substance and depth, the very things a story needs to be successful. My stories don't have that certain charm that grabs people's attention and focus.

The thing is, I have a great imagination, and I can certainly think up hundreds of ideas for interesting characters and a good plot for my stories, but when it comes to actually getting those ideas onto paper... Well, that's where the trouble starts.

I want to learn! Where do I start?

>> No.1650112

take one of these ideas and start writing.

keep writing. COMMIT to writing. if you have any talent, you'll gradually get a feel for yourself and what works. there's really nothing more to it than that.

>> No.1650114

>>1650097
>what do you think it means to be a writer?
Dressing and acting a particular way, and then when people ask you what you do, you say "I'm a writer".

>> No.1650116

>What it means to be a writer
dunno. I guess you could say it depends on the person. As for me, it's saying, "Hey, I have something insightful to say about this thing ____ but I know if I told you strait out, you wouldn't listen. So I'm going to hide it under a bunch of symbolism and hope it makes you more insightful, too. Or show me how full of shit I am."

>The thing is, I have a great imagination, and I can certainly think up hundreds of ideas for interesting characters and a good plot for my stories, but when it comes to actually getting those ideas onto paper... Well, that's where the trouble starts.
If that's true, then all you need is practice. And it may take years.

>> No.1650143

Well alright, so pretty much what I was already thinking. All it takes is practice. I guess writing is basically the same thing as drawing, only you're using words instead of shapes.

>>1650114
I kinda laughed at this.

>> No.1650147

try going to school stupid ass faggot

wow i bet your mom is ashamed you were even given birth to by such a dumb bitch that she which would give birth to such a pathetic moron like you

let me guess you still think progenitus is prescriptive and not descriptive? how did i know? no surprise coming from a fucking piece of shit lowbrow lowlife lowball moron

>> No.1650174

>>1650147
This is my first time in /lit/, so I'm just going to assume this is common behaviour.

>> No.1650181

You have to put 10000 hours into something to be any good at it?

It's WAY easier to just pretend you are a writer and never write or read (lolread) anything. Do that.

>> No.1650210

>>1650174
It's even a copypasta.

>> No.1650213

Not OP here, but question kinda related

I haven't read a single book in over ten years, but I want to be a successful writer. I don't even know how to write. I communicate in clicks and whirrs.Oh god, I can't even understand what I'm typing. What is this I don't even.

wat do?

>> No.1650226

Hard to say, without seeing a sample of your writing. Try reading a book on writing, like the Weekend Novelist. That's a good one for beginners.

Another thing. I don't know if this is your problem or not, but a lot of people are much two straight forward in their writing. They just describe a series of events and feelings that shoot arrow straight from start to finish. You need to hold some stuff back. Don't over explain your story. Don't say what your characters are feeling. Show, don't tell. That will make your stories more interesting.

>> No.1650230

Try reading.

>> No.1650252

>>1650147
I know this guy's a troll, but what's a progenitus? Or is that part of the troll?

>> No.1650468

>>1650226
That's some interesting advice. I may have that problem. I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Also, I will be sure to check out The Weekend Novelist. I'm guessing it's the one by Robert J. Ray and Bret Norris?