[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 47 KB, 606x379, jack-nance-in-eraserhead1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1728281 No.1728281 [Reply] [Original]

I'm 19 years old and I'm considering dating this girl who is bipolar and has manic episodes fairly often.

Should I bother?

>> No.1728286

>>>/adv/

>> No.1728285

Ofc. It'll be interesting

>> No.1728289

Go for it. I date a guy who is bipolar but unmedicated. It helps if you're a naturally mellow person and don't get stressed often.

>> No.1728287

Wrong board, bro. But no, you shouldn't bother.

>> No.1728290

does she fuck like a beast?

>> No.1728298

>>1728290

This, and only this. If not, run boy. Run like the wind.

>> No.1728304

I'm manic depressive and have psychosis. I wouldn't recommend it.
I turn down everybody now because I don't want them to have to deal with my shit.

>> No.1728305

Crazy girls always have AMAZING sex. For some reason they almost always have crazy amount of orgasms, and will make your fucking head explode. Go for it dude, everyone needs to have a crazy girl once in a while.

>> No.1728312

Go for it only if you're both willing to have open and direct communication regarding her condition or the impact thereof. That is, if the bipolar thing becomes an awkward taboo subject while still impacting the relationship, then GOOD FUCKING LUCK.

>> No.1728320

>>1728289
This
>>1728305
And this, best sex I had was with a girl with borderline and ADHD, she was almost diagnosed as schizoid too.
Too bad she broke up after 2 weeks, although it was partially my fault as I was way too clingy.

>> No.1728324

dating a crazy person isn't really actually fun

go for it if you like her, not if you think it'll be your ticket to buttsex and material for some terrible autobiographical short stories

>> No.1728335

Do acid with her. Crazy bipolar chicks are so much fun to trip with.

>> No.1728339
File: 117 KB, 800x800, A-Very-50s-Christmas-714206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't do it. You might think this girl is exciting and dangerous (therefore alluring), but her antics will get old, very quickly. Trust me, as a person with a person who has a lot of mental illness in his family, it won't be romantic to be in a relationship with this girl, nor will it make for an interesting love story. You won't be able to "save" her, nor will you be able to communicate with her. When you try to reason with her, she'll either become belligerent (like my uncle) or extremely manipulative (like my ex-girlfriend).

I have an uncle who is bipolar, and they only get worse as they age. I also dated a girl who was borderline, and she became a threat to my life and her own as we were going through the break up process. (And no, we didn't have wild sex; she was actually a very lazy lover.)

These things never end well, despite what Hollywood might tell you. Don't do it. Also Christmas

>> No.1728357

>>1728339
>Implying all bipolar people are incapable of being reasoned with and become belligerent or manipulative regularly.
>First time I've ever taken offense to something said on 4chan.
I'm bipolar, but all my relationships are healthy. My girlfriend supports me, as do my parents and my siblings. I'm no more manipulative or angry than the average guy. The only thing is when I get manic I turn into a full blown existentialist and write essays for a couple days without sleeping. But I treat my loved ones with love, no matter what. Just because your family is bipolar and assholes doesn't mean that everyone with the disease is.

>> No.1728370

>>1728287
>>1728298
>>1728339
You fuckers. So bipolar people just should be kept at arms' length? Or maybe they should only be with other "crazy" people?

There are all sorts of variables with anyone with that sort of mental health issue, which I have a feeling not many (if any) of us are really qualified to talk about. But, in fact, I dated a bipolar girl, who also had a troubled past, and all sorts of other emotional issues to boot. Result: coming up on our 18th year together now, and seven years of marriage. Take it from your elder: you'd be lucky to find as much happiness as we have.

OP, you have to step carefully, and, as with any relationship, there's every likelihood it won't work out. The real question should be whether you like her, are attracted to her, and find her interesting. It'll help if she feels the same ways about you. But if you have those ingredients, and aren't genuinely spooked by her, then I think you'd be a fool not to give it a shot.

>> No.1728383

Bipolar is one of the most common misdiagnoses which people in crises are affronted with by "professional therapists"..the psychological interventions of the last decades have largely become a distribution of medications, much of it bi-polar medication and therefore the idea that bi-polar is common, that it is an explanation of moodiness, of complex emotions which are too traumatic to recognize or take responsibility for, exists in commonplace thinking and people will often even self-diagnose this problem. You should really take a trip to a state mental facility and witness true bipolar, true schizophrenia, etc. and understand that moodiness, etc. are not always pathological illnesses, your girlfriend may just have some difficulty adjusting to herself or others and tells you she is bipolar (or has been diagnosed as such by ''professionals") because of this common misconception or because she wants to protect her fragile self-image from judgement.
tl;dr only date her if you are mature and can treat her with the kindness and understanding that she needs but doesn't know how to ask for directly.

>> No.1728387

>>1728335
>do acid with a bipolar person

Last time I did that I lost a testicle. True story.

>> No.1728389
File: 18 KB, 426x304, 1254362427399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1728357
>>1728383
That's more like it.

>> No.1728410

what was op's motivation in posting this on /lit/, by the way? usually when people just go balls-out in making big, completely off-topic threads like this, it's the product of the kind of narcissism that usually involves creating a trip identity. now that we've closed the case on this one, can you guys help me get with the cute boy who scans ID cards in the art and design lab?

>> No.1728432

>>1728410
Take it to /r9k/.

>> No.1728439

>>1728357
>>1728370
Look, I'm just writing from my own personal experience, and from my personal experience, these things never end well.

I'm studying right now to apply for a PhD in English lit (and yes, I know that this is a poor life decision; I've even had some professors try to talk me out of it) and just yesterday, my uncle called me up and tried to get me to drop all my plans and move to Japan to teach English over there, since he said it would help me get in touch with my Japanese roots and I could get to know my Japanese relatives. When I thanked him for his suggestion and told him I would consider it (i.e. I'm not doing it), guess what?, he got belligerent, so I had to hang up on him. I could tell countless stories just like this about my uncle too, most of them more extreme and some of them involving Johnny Law.

Ultimately, OP has to make his own decision because at the end of the day, we're just text on the screen for him (assuming that OP is sincere, and not just a troll throwing an off topic thread on a literature board). I'm just trying to open his eyes and make him see that it is very difficult to live with someone with a mental illness. And like I said, people with manic depression only get worse as they age (this is a medical fact); if she is already having trouble coping with her illness, she's only going to get worse.

Do what you want, OP, it's your call, but know that for everyone who has a positive story about living with a mental illness or living with someone who has a mental illness, there are dozens and dozens more stories of people who have found it intolerable or even dangerous.

>> No.1728445

>>1728370
Some women bring a man a lot of pain. I wish everyone was sane and could give and receive happiness, but a lot of them just cant. I won't even try and go into why, but if someone exists in a viscous and destructive place inside, they will only drag the people around them into that, and there is really nothing you can do but eliminate them from your life.

Yeah they're victims. But we all are, and we can't waste our time trying to fix others. If you found happiness with a woman, congratulations you are one of a dying breed. But a lot of men just convince themselves they are happy in an attempt to fulfill the expectations of others and of themselves.

I couldn't be happy with most of the women I've ever met because they are black holes, and every minuscule event is a cosmic drama and it's all centered around them. I guess this is sounds cynical, but I'm not going to force myself to be around a person I don't like.

>> No.1728472

>>1728445
>most of the bipolar women

>> No.1728530

>>1728445
When did this become about women generally, and not people with bipolar disorder?

>> No.1728545

>>1728439
BTW, I do want to wholeheartedly commend >>1728357 for living with bipolar and not using the disease as an excuse to turn into a total dick, and >>1728370 for being brave and strong and firm enough to live with someone with bipolar. But like I said, in my experience (which, of course, only goes so far) these are the exceptions to the rule.

>> No.1728546

>>1728370
>Or maybe they should only be with other "crazy" people?

There's a reason people like this were institutionalized before the modern liberal age of political correctness.

They are a harm to themselves and to society because of their mental illness. Have you ever seen a retarded person with an ilness like bipolar having a freakout on a city bus? Have you ever known a bipolar person at your school, maybe one who has been put in a special program with people with other mental illnesses?

They simply can't function into society. Their illness makes them very scary people who shouldn't be out in public, they should be locked away from normal society, in a place where they can get help

>> No.1728550

>>1728530

same thing dude

>> No.1728553
File: 14 KB, 303x354, bfw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1728432
>>>/r9k/

>> No.1728556

>>1728553
i lol'd

>> No.1728571

>>1728546
> retarded
> bipolar
Jeebus. I think you know very little of the typical bipolar person. It sounds like you're confusing bipolarity with a kid with Downs and the anger/emotional issues that often accompanies it.

I hope you're trolling me since I said I married someone bipolar. Otherwise...ugh.

>> No.1728584

>>1728571

Believe me, I have a nephew with bipolar. He is very bright and intelligent, always reading books and he likes talking about maps and other countries. However, he has a lot of trouble in school and had to be put in a specialized education program for both his Math and P.E. classes. My brother is thinking of withdrawing him to a special school for the disabled because he is violent and often threatens the teachers. He once picked up a teacher's desk and threw it at her and it spilled coffee on her.

He may have some good qualities but he also can not obey orders or function in society. If you tell him what to do he will jab at you with pencils and act like he is trying to kill you. That is what bipolar is.

>> No.1728593

>>1728546
>>1728571

can sort of vouch for this. there was one bipolar kid in my english and math class that kept talking about how he wanted to be a mass murderer. he had power fantasys and said things like 'when i take over the world if you annoy me you will be the first to die.' and when the teacher told him he wasn't allowed to take more than two bathroom breaks per day he said 'i don't have to follow rules' and told her she would die if she 'insulted' him again. he got suspended for like a month after that.

it's like, they are semi-functional, they can talk like human beings but their anger issues makes them really fucked up in the head.

>> No.1728592

>>1728584
That sounds more like anti-social personality disorder or possibly borderline personality disorder to me. Does he have long periods where he's pretty much calm and normal?

>> No.1728597

>>1728584
That's what bipolar for your nephew is, yes. Not everyone has it in exactly the same way he does or to the same degree.

>> No.1728603

crazy chicks are the best in bed. also it's a great learning tool. date as many different women as you can.

>> No.1728606

>>1728584
>>1728593
You gents are generalizing from anecdotes a lot here, and if you took some time to read about the topic you'd see that what you're describing doesn't fit the general profile. Isn't it common knowledge that a number of high-functioning people who form the backbone of our artistic culture (authors, musicians, painters, etc.) have been bipolar? "Mood swings" and "sudden anger" != manic-depressive disorder.

Anyway, I'm out for the night. Play nice.

>> No.1728609

>>1728592

Yes, he does. When I come to visit he is usually very normal, calm and pleasant for a while, if a little eccentric and likes to talk a lot. He is very precocious and will often talk about mythology or about writers like Milton and Blake. He spends a long time researching parts of history or science so he can talk about them later. He is also on a fencing team and a swimming team. However, he causes a lot of problems at his school, and sometimes even hurts people, and at home he sometimes goes violent and has these laughing fits or has freakouts. Once I was helping my sister-in-law make a pie and when we were done he came in the room and stabbed it. He said it looked like a face and he felt like stabbing someone's face and eating it. "Bipolar" is the explanation I've been given but I'm not really sure what's going on with him.

>> No.1728622

>>1728592

What a psychiatry expert you are.

>> No.1728625

Trolololol

>> No.1728632

>>1728545
>for being brave and strong and firm enough to live with someone with bipolar

You make it sound like living in a goddamn concentration camp

>> No.1728639

>>1728632
Yeah, I noticed that. I should have said that my bipolar, troubled wife generally has her shit together *way* more than I do, and has also accomplished much more. She has a JD and PhD, for fuck's sake. And she's not wasting her evening on 4chan.

>> No.1728640

>>1728632

that's exactly what it's like.

>> No.1728644

Why are people responding to this thread? It's got nothing whatever to do with lit.

I am disappoint.

>> No.1728646

>>1728632
Like I said, living with someone who has a mental disorder is extremely taxing.

>> No.1728647

>>1728622
I've been hospitalized numerous times for psychotic breaks, a suicide attempt, and violently emotional outbursts. I've been diagnosed all three of those things. I know the symptoms well because I've been asked, "Do you ever..." "and how long does that last?" about a hundred times.

>> No.1728660

>>1728647

Yeah, but you're not actually trained in psychology, so until then you're just a wannabe who thinks he knows shit because his mommy sent him to the crazy house once for a suicide attempt

>> No.1728663

>>1728357
Me again. This thread is getting a little ridiculous now. Like I said, I'm bipolar but even some of my closest friends didn't know it until I told them. Now you must be thinking "He's probably just a little bipolar". Not true. I can go weeks at a time feeling sick and sleeping twenty hours a day when I'm depressed. I also get confused and groggy. When I'm manic I can stay up for up to four/five days without sleep. I also have a tendency to explore the implications of one philosophical thought for up to six or so hours, but I don't mind too much because my writing drastically improves. On an average day, my writing is above average, but only slightly, On a manic day my writing has gotten me all sorts of awards.

But as far as throwing fits or having any anger issues at all, I'm guilt free. And being incapable of functioning in society? Not really. Back in middle school and high school I skipped three grades (7th, 8th, and 10th, but ultimately they were excused) because I was too fucked up all the time to go. But I never acted out, I just sort of sat in bed and thought for hours on end. But now that I've grown up a bit, it's much different. My grades were still good enough to land me in a University. Now I have a job and I'm a member of the Honors society and one of the heads of the literary club. Being a teenager with Bipolar Disorder isn't always pleasant, but to assume that all people with Bipolar disorder act out like lunatics is a good way to make yourself look like an ass. Also, my girlfriend tends to embrace my disorder, it's actually one of the things she likes about me, and she's completely sane. Just know that being Bipolar sucks, but don't assume that all people with Bipolar disorder belong in institutions or aren't productive members of society. That's just prejudice.

>> No.1728670

>>1728660
Saging because of this guy. This thread is going nowhere good.

Behemoth, don't listen to him.

>> No.1728672

>>1728663

I really can't imagine anyone who's that much of a wreck holding down a career for very long, much less getting a job in the first place.

>> No.1728678

>>1728660
Saging because people are being ridiculous. Grow up, guys.

>> No.1728691

I'm working on my BS/MS in Psych right now with a minor in Legal Studies

I am going to become a classically trained Psychologist and get a Paralegal certificate if that doesn't work out

This thread is very interesting to me. It is teaching me a lot about how people think, the kind of people that I will be working with to help solve the problems that come from their illness. Some of them might even be my patients some day.

>> No.1728703

>>1728691

>Combined BS/MS

Enjoy your unrepayable debt

>> No.1728704

Bipolar is mediocre-tier nutcase.

SCHIZO-SCHIZO-SCHIZO-PHRE-NI-A.

Yep, it's a contest now.

>> No.1728707

>>1728281

don't do it brother. Been there, done that. If you do you'll be so happy and relieved when it's done and over with.

>> No.1728709

>>1728704

Asperger's here, it sucks, I scratch at my hair in public and mutter all the time

But I also read biographies so that makes me smart

>> No.1728718

>>1728709

My soon-to-be brother-in-law (wow, lots of hyphens) has that, too. We bond over vidya games & he's a pretty sweet kid. His sister says he screams if you try to hug him, but other than that, cool guy.

>> No.1728725

Do it if the sex is great.
Also you'll probably end up with some great stories to tell.

Maybe you'll story will be like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8nDfaUnCPGk#t=147s

>> No.1728738

>>1728660
He listed symptoms. I know symptoms.
At no point did I state I was a trained expert, nor did I imply it.
Mature and quit projecting, jerk-off, just because you've had a sheltered life (or the opposite) doesn't mean everyone else has been sheltered, and simply because you're a petty pedant who has to assert authority in a subject doesn't mean I do the same when I say something.

>> No.1729006

Please dont bother honestly. I'm sure she is great and everything but that is a disease that will takes years to find the right medication and will cause so much hurt and aggravation you will wish you were dead.
I was dating a girl for 6 uears and it seemed great most of the time but she had biploar disorder and we had a bunch of ups and downs because of it. She would freak out for the smallest things and kick me out for a week and then act like nothing was wrong with no apology. Things were always rough but I loved her and we got engaged. She left me bc she had feelings for someone else... my best friend. That lasted all of 4 hours and then we were back to normal. Then a few months ago she broke it off and kicked me out within hours of my friends funeral. She treated me like shit when she had "bad days" and tried to keep me around for comfort for months. It was sad to see her destroy her relationships over and over with different people all because she had different moods and side effects from the medicines she was on. PLease dont do it. Really years from now if you make it that far you will regret wasting your life with her.

>> No.1729146

>>1728305

I've been involved with a couple of genuine crazies, and I agree with the "sex is usually awesome" argument, then you get the other times when you go away for a vacation expecting mental crazy sex in a fancy London hotel and she spends the time sobbing and feeling worthless and suicidal - that's kind of a bummer, but you just have to cuddle her and help her out and try not to be a douche about it.

I also don't think that's too different to a "normal" woman. Everyone has shitty days, and there will be times when any woman seems crazy after you've been with her long enough.

Good literature thread this, by the way. I thought I'd gone to /adv/ by mistake,

>> No.1729155

N
O
T

L
I
T
Y
A