[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 258 KB, 1156x1600, Arthur-Schopenhauer-1855.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17349434 No.17349434 [Reply] [Original]

>if you haven't at least read all of plato or kant and the upanishads then you may as well leave this book on your shelf as decoration you stupid tasteless normalfag
was he 4chan before 4chan?

>> No.17349443

>>17349434
No, 4chan doesn't read.

>> No.17349490

>>17349434
Actually just insecure of critics, it's unnecesary to clarify those reads but he gave himself an scape to shield himself from critics who wouldn't like his work

>> No.17349509

>>17349479
OP is exaggerating. He said Plato and Upanishads are helpful but only Kant's epistemology is necessary. Which makes sense since the first sentence of WWR is "the world is my representation". If you don't know about Kant you would obviously not understand it.

>> No.17349582

>>17349434
I'm guessing he had something close to autism given his absolute hatred for cracking whips

>> No.17349764

>Schopenhauer scorned the ideas of universal emancipation that had begun to spread through Europe in the mid-nineteenth century. In political terms, he was a reactionary liberal, looking to the state only to protect his life and property. He viewed the revolutionary movements of his day with a mixture of horror and contempt, offering his opera glasses for use as a telescopic rifle sight to guardsmen firing on a crowd during the popular demonstrations of 1848. Yet he also scorned the official philosophy of the day, viewing Hegel – Europe’s most widely esteemed philosopher and a massive influence on later thinkers such as Marx – as little more than an apologist for state power.

>In his personal life, Schopenhauer was guarded and self-possessed. He had an acute sense of the dangers of human life. He slept with loaded pistols by his bed and refused to allow his barber to shave his neck. He delighted in company but often preferred his own. He never married but seems to have been sexually highly active. An erotic diary found in his papers at his death was burnt by his executor, but his celebrated essay ‘On Women’ gave him a reputation for misogyny that has stayed with him ever since.

I will never read fucking Kant nor any other h*manist juedo-christian dreck. SCHOPE LIFE BABY

>> No.17349989

>>17349434
If you read Kant's transcendental aesthetic and then Schopenhauer's doctoral dissertation you'll have no issues with the rest of Schop's philosophy.

>> No.17349995

>>17349764
God he had such a vile personality, no wonder his mother hated his guts. What an absolute cunt.

>> No.17350018 [DELETED] 

>>17349434
Schopenhuer also"Readingis merely a surrogate for thinking for yourself; it means letting someone else direct your thoughts"

"

My Books

Browse ▾

Community ▾

Join Goodreadsand meet your next favorite book!Sign Up Now

When we read, another person thinks for us: we merely repeat his mental process. In learning to write, the pupil goes over with his pen what the teacher has outlined in pencil: so in reading; the greater part of the work of thought is already done for us. This is why it relieves us to take up a book after being occupied with our own thoughts. And in reading, the mind is, in fact, only the playground of another’s thoughts. So it comes about that if anyone spends almost the whole day in reading, and by way of relaxation devotes the intervals to some thoughtless pastime, he gradually loses the capacity for thinking; just as the man who always rides, at last forgets how to walk. This is the case with many learned persons: they have read themselves stupid."

>> No.17350039

>>17349434

Schopenhuer also:
"When we read, another person thinks for us: we merely repeat his mental process. In learning to write, the pupil goes over with his pen what the teacher has outlined in pencil: so in reading; the greater part of the work of thought is already done for us. This is why it relieves us to take up a book after being occupied with our own thoughts. And in reading, the mind is, in fact, only the playground of another’s thoughts. So it comes about that if anyone spends almost the whole day in reading, and by way of relaxation devotes the intervals to some thoughtless pastime, he gradually loses the capacity for thinking; just as the man who always rides, at last forgets how to walk. This is the case with many learned persons: they have read themselves stupid."

>> No.17350043

>>17349764
>He slept with loaded pistols by his bed and refused to allow his barber to shave his neck. He delighted in company but often preferred his own. He never married but seems to have been sexually highly active. An erotic diary found in his papers at his death was burnt by his executor,
Based as hell.

>> No.17350051

>>17349995
lol seethe

>> No.17351157

>>17349434
>was he 4chan before 4chan?
yes

>I have still to censure, as specially vulgar, a thing that is daily making its appearance with greater audacity. I refer to the fact that in scientific works and really learned periodicals that come even from academies, passages from Greek and (proh pudor)* Latin authors are quoted in a German translation. Good heavens! Are you writing for cobblers and tailors ? I believe you are! simply in order to have a ‘very good sale’. Then permit me most humbly to observe that you are in every sense of the word common fellows. Be more honourable and have less money in your pockets, and let the illiterate man feel his inferiority in¬ stead of your bowing and scraping to his money-box! German translations are precisely the same substitute for Greek and Latin authors as is chicory for coffee; moreover, we dare not place any reliance whatever on their accuracy. And so if it comes to this, then goodbye to humanity, noble taste, and lofty sentiment! Barbarism will come again in spite of railways, telegraphs, and balloons. Finally, we shall suffer in this way the loss of yet another advantage that was enjoyed by all our ancestors.

>> No.17351172

>>17351157
and a remark: "Good heavens" isn't a good translation. In German he writes Pfui Teufel, which is more like a cry of utter disgust and disdain.