[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 194 KB, 750x1000, 1601415091390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17419347 No.17419347[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

In The Magic Mountain, Thomas Mann placed youth and beauty above all qualities. Marcel Proust, at the end of Time Regained, concluded that what the writer needed was not intellectual conversations but 'light affairs with young girls in bloom'. Houellebecq famously wrote that:
>adolescence is not only an important period in life, but that it is the only period where one may speak of life in the full sense of the word. The attractile drives are unleashed around the age of thirteen, after which they gradually diminish, or rather they are resolved in models of behaviour which are, after all, only constrained forces. The violence of the initial explosion means that the outcome of the conflict may remain uncertain for years; this is what is called a transitory regime in electrodynamics. But little by little the oscillations become slower, to the point of resolving themselves in mild and melancholic long waves; from this moment on all is decided, and life is nothing more than a preparation for death. This can be expressed in a more brutal and less exact way by saying that man is a diminished adolescent.
Friends, parties, social experiences, sexual experiences with women my age, all the things a normal, developing brain needs. I wasted all 4 years of high school and college hiding from everyone, now my chances are gone. People my age are getting married, I have no outlets to even meet women or make friends. My life is over, I wasted it. Every day is the same, I work, come home and rot. I wasted my life. People told me to start reading more to try gaining new perspectives but after reading Mann, Proust and Houellebecq, I am now just more bitter and resentful at the world for being ostracized and for what I missed out on. Aside from those three, who are some other writers who highlight the importance of social and sexual experiences during one's youth?

>> No.17419413
File: 181 KB, 530x650, Untitled-53-1985-86.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17419347
Your position in society is 90% pre-determined by genes (unless you are filthy rich). I can tell even by 5 year old kids playing around which ones will be successful and which ones will have depressing lives.

>> No.17419455

>>17419347
Butts are gross. People literally poop from there.

>> No.17419460

>>17419413
>I can tell even by 5 year old kids playing around which ones will be successful and which ones will have depressing lives.
Have you ever followed up on your subjects?

>> No.17419463

>>17419413
I have great genes but am poorfag. This man speaks the truth.

>> No.17419475

that pic is creepy and this sentiment is verifiablely false. Your worth as a person is tied up with your actions and how you hold yourself. Not in how you feel bad that pussy never fell into your lap. People who repost obvious creeper pics of unaware girls are doing the wrong thing and are just trying to rationalize their guilt. The sentiment at the end of Time Regained is clearly ironic given what went on between Swann and Odette, and the Narrator and Albertine. You're just looking for writers to justify your self pity instead of taking responsibility for your actions. Go read Tolstoy or Joyce, they're better writers than all of those and they actually treat women like people.

>> No.17419488

>>17419475
Tolstoy raped his slaves.

>> No.17419502

>>17419347
>Aside from those three, who are some other writers who highlight the importance of social and sexual experiences during one's youth?

You are missing the point. You need way earlier experience than that. Higher levels of testosterone, sociability, extraversion, positive experiences dominating or bullying others etc. result in positive reinforcing feedback loops which give rise to the new social elite as that generation grows up. Part of it is also having a strong male figure, but not significantly so (a child with good genes and a poor father will simply turn out into a druglord, or an extremely succesful salesman or businessman or a successful artist, while a child with poor genes and good upbringing can at best hope for a middle management office job where he is implicitly castrated and humiliated and that is best case scenario). There is an infinitely small percentage that escape this predicament through their families being incredibly wealthy (but they still feel like losers and have to constantly flaunt their wealth just to belong and be used by "cooler" people) or by being autistic Einsten level geniuses (they don't care about being social outcasts in the first place and they have top 0.1% talent level in something that allows them to easily live comfortable lives).

By the time you make it to high school let alone college all is already decided by the earlier feedback loops. The "real life" is the extension of high school. If you haven't noticed, it's not the smart, hard-working, play-by-the-rules men who rise to the top of social hierarchy in any sense, be it financially, in social status, or in the dating market.

>> No.17419503

>>17419347
thomas mann was a pedo

>> No.17419513

>>17419455
extremely true

>> No.17419516

>>17419488
and he wrote about it and explained why it was wrong. Go read Resurrection or Confession or Hadji Murad or any of his later writings.

>> No.17419541

>>17419475
how is it creepy? they are literally there specifically to be whores. its the entire purpose

>> No.17419558

>>17419541
Even a whore wouldn't expect their picture to be taken without their consent. Just likehow it's creepy to take pictures of celebrities are their commute on subways or out at restaurants

>> No.17419577

>>17419460
I've worked 6 years in scouting athletes (15-20 year olds). One of the bigger signs of who will succeed or who will fail is how the person carries himself. Winners carry themselves a particular way, they expect to be the #1, they expect to be given the best opportunities, they play as if they are the best (even when they are not), they act like they are the best on the team (even if they are not). Sometimes you will have more talented kids who are just happy to be a guy there and they never make it, because they don't have that self-assurance and drive. It was a common saying that you can't make a winner, winners are born. And in my experience it is pretty much the truth, a guy will walk in and the entire room will start adjusting to him instead the other way around. They aren't even the most talented always, it just comes naturally to them that they expect to be the most important. It reflects in their habits and play and it starts manufacturing this reality, more gregarious and passive kids even when they are more talented fall by the wayside. This creates another feedback loop in development. It functions precisely the same way going back to childhood and for any aspect of life. You can see even in 5 year olds kids playing on the playground that some are passive, scared, more cautious, others are aggressive, confident, loud and dictate what happens. The latter grow up to rise in society, the former (unless they come from a rich family or are geniuses) do not. You can walk by any playgrounds on any weekend and see this in practice, you can usually tell by genetical markers in bone insertions and behavior which of the kids will grow up to be popular with ladies, make money, become successful in their professions and which ones won't.

>> No.17419578
File: 138 KB, 1080x1078, DB015A27-D3B8-4C78-91EE-3497B58914AE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17419503
Not you again.

>> No.17419582

>>17419558
>Even a whore wouldn't expect their picture to be taken without their consent
I guess being dumb is a prerequisite to being a whore so this makes sense that they wouldn't realize that being a whore means you get treated like a whore

>> No.17419591

>>17419577
I love this pasta

>> No.17419595

>>17419475
This man is literally a normie idiot. He doesn't understand how society functions. Don't listen to him. Normie advice is useless for people who haven't had prior success and positive feedback loops. OP is clearly on the lower end of the spectrum of success and not that young anymore. Telling him "take responsibility for your life" is not going to do anything for him, since every single time he made an action in the past it probably resulted in failure. Take responsibility for your life works for people who can ask a girl out and she says yes and lets you fuck on the 1st date, or you walk in and give the manager a firm handshake and get the job. That doesn't function for people who never had positive feedback loops before.

>> No.17419596

>>17419582
at least whores can read, unlike yourself

>> No.17419614

>>17419595
The whole thing about taking responsibility for your actions is that you can do it at any point regardless of the outcome. It literally does not require a positive feedback loop, just do the right thing.

>> No.17419625

>>17419596
I read quite regularly so im not sure why you think this is some kind of scathing remark, or why you are so defensive of whores being treated like the trash they are. they're life size fleshlights with a pulse, nothing more, and they CHOSE to be nothing more

>> No.17419626

If it makes you feel any better, I virtually stopped reading and writing once I started getting laid consistently.

>> No.17419640

>>17419614
Doing "the right thing" when you never had a positive experience is impossible and you will fail. To do "the right thing" you also have to look like the right thing. Contrary to normie opinion this is mostly predetermined by genetics which determine how someone carries himself, how he looks and how he sounds.

>> No.17419648

>>17419626
Reading and writing at a professional level is for people who are not getting laid.

>> No.17419654

>>17419455
And fart and stink. And it goes inside the toilet when you sit.

>> No.17419659

I got invited to parties and events with friends as a teenager/college student but often rejected to stay at home because I am a more introverted personality. I missed out on some chances with women and I'm only 24 but feel old.

>> No.17419675

>>17419347
Youth and beauty worship is stupid. It achieves no ends in itself. It is no more superior or subordinate to other values. Certainly it doesn't solve anything besides the gratification of sex instincts. It builds no bridges and makes no discoveries.

Youth is no ideal state is self-evidently false. The adolescent is in a chaos, half-formed, uncertain in himself, always becoming but never being. Moody, flighty, overwhelmed by energies which are meant to change what he is, he is a half-formed man in body and of mind.

Also Proust was gay.

>> No.17419681

>>17419577
I was like one of those kids you described as becoming winners. It didn't pan out for me. There's no such thing as a self-made man. Grace, or lack thereof, has the final word. I came from a rough background where the school system was grooming us to be criminals and employers are cheats. Everybody I knew had fallen in some way. Maybe the only reason I happened to survive was genetics. Which maybe proves you right.

>> No.17419684

>>17419648
For those who cannot get laid there exist pits such as quantum mechanics, philosophy and professional writing of fiction. Of course even within those only 1% actually "make it" and you will need some minimum of social skills even there to present yourself as competent. Sadly with the advent of social media, even these fields (perhaps outside of hard math) are becoming simply extensions of high school: who is the best at networking and self-promotion. The gatekeepers now are such that you will never make it on the quality of your work anyhow. You can still make it on the academic side of hard sciences but even there you probably need to be an aggressive networking guy and bend your knee to whatever is popular to get funding.

>> No.17419691

>>17419675
>is no ideal
*as an ideal state

>> No.17419693

>>17419648
I suppose I can rationalize this by the mere fact I’m accruing life experience right now, which can be used as source material for my writing when I’m inevitably on a dry spell again.

>> No.17419706

>>17419659
24 is the tail end of "dating for fun", from that point on women are looking to settle down, in a couple of years the dating market for you is going to be single moms, crazies, high bodycount whores etc. And younger women don't want to fuck weird old awkward introvert guys.

>> No.17419710

>>17419654
Holy fuck never thought about this.

>> No.17419713

>>17419675
Becoming has hope. Being a loser is much worse. Adolescence is simply people flipping their cards over to find out the hald they've been dealt. Some have pocket aces, some have a 2 and a 7

>> No.17419714

>>17419347
How old are you? You sound like a complete faggot

>> No.17419717
File: 214 KB, 1116x1539, Buddhapilled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17419347
I was planning to read those authors but until you exposed them as materialist hacks.
Thanks for giving me the heads-up OP.

>> No.17419719

>>17419659
You skipped the shitty part and now can date actual real women with fully developed brains. Good work anon.

>> No.17419724

>>17419693
professional writers dont hop in and out of writing.

>> No.17419727

>>17419719
>you skipped on all those mistakes which would have given you experience on how to date now
good job

>> No.17419732

>>17419347
While I understand what hes saying, I gotta disagree. The pure imbalanced libido is limited by the lack of power. When I was an 11 year old I didn't yet know I had a femdom fetish, so I horrified the shit out of my stern piano teacher by popping a huge boner every time she scolded me. She was the mother of one of my moms friends from church. I saw her look down at my shorts and look up at me, horrified. After a few sessions of raging erections secondary to her frustration with my inability to practice with any sort of dedication, just repeating the mistake over and over again, she encouraged me to stop showing up for these lessons. Didnt clarify her reasons with my mom but I knew I was making her uncomfortable.
Just a few years later I matured a touch and figured out that I was a damn good swimmer if I actually tried during practice, which was easy because I was sharing lanes with senior girls as a freshman. One of them started driving me into practice and, I think encouraged by my simulation of peer status through swimming prowess, started giving me handjobs and instructing me in eating her out in a way distinctly similar to how my piano teacher would instruct my practice. Which was way more fun because I got to bust a nut and realize the fantasy.
You need some direction in life to refine and distill the libido into something you can actually do with someone else. Picrel is a great example- these guys arent wet dreaming but busting preteens who dream of surrounding themselves with sluts in underwear- they've engaged with the very adult institutions of college and fraternity to realize a maturation of the juvenile fantasy.
This french fuck is just a spoiled continental. I like him but let's not take him too seriously, we Americans are much more adept at realizing youthful libidinal fantasies as adults.

>> No.17419737

>>17419706
>And younger women don't want to fuck weird old awkward introvert guys.
No woman wants to do fuck awkward introverted guys, young or old, period

>> No.17419742

>>17419719
that's codeword for bitter women with sagging bodies and emotional baggage who will secretely hate you for settling down with you while they exist in an eternal dichotomy between wishing they'd get back with the asshole that cheated on them and hating all men because of him

>> No.17419750

>>17419413
Fake. Chads almost always end up losers. The jock trapped in high school meme is rael.

>> No.17419777

>>17419750
that's your CEO (unless he's Jewish)

>> No.17419788

>>17419475
how did you get here from reddit.com?

>> No.17419791

>>17419347
I envy you if you still worry about getting laid and missing out on that. Wait till you're 30 and realize your life is shambles. You'll wish you could go back to your days of larping on r9k.

>> No.17419811
File: 97 KB, 265x265, F6CC628A-A104-4E07-839A-0332C2FE5A4B.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17419724
They do when they have a rotation of women, you fucking incel.

>> No.17419813
File: 704 KB, 1280x720, 8826A69B-5A2D-42F4-9852-C39B5C092F3C.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17419413
I can’t tell if I was just born how I am or if it has to do with something of how I was raised or some event that occurred to me.

According to my parents (I don’t remember this part of my life so I have to rely on their word), I was a rascal as an infant. In one instance in daycare a kid bit me so I bit them back twice as hard and got in trouble with the thot that wasn’t paying attention when I was bit. On another instance I broke out of daycare and led two others with me, we were several blocks away by the time they noticed. On another instance I pulled the fire alarm because I wanted to see what it did, you get the idea. I was rather fearless and headstrong, aggressive even but charismatic, a born hero leader of toddler legions.

At the age of two I had a head injury, I ran into the corner of the wall while chasing my dog around the house. To this day I wonder if I had severely injured my my frontal lobe and thats why my social skills would be lacking for the rest of my life. Immediately afterwards though I didn’t notice any differences. I still had a large group of friends I would hang out with from daycare and preschool and I was hardly a shy child at all.

I ended up going to a separate elementary school then all of my friends from preschool and daycare. This possibly too could be why I turned out the way I am though I have to think this is a common occurance ever for most people so it would be strange That I would particularly have a hard time adjusting. I did make a smaller friend group in my kindergarten class though in the following year two of the 4 kids moved away. 1st grade is when I really notice my ridiculous shyness beginning. I was only in the same class as one of the 2 guys that I had become friends with the previous year. For some reason I became particularly shy in this class and hardly made any other friends. During recess I mostly just spent recess walking around by myself. These were horrible I remember and I’m sure the fear and schizophrenic frame of mind I felt during those long periods have permanently scarred my brain. In the 2nd grade I became a bit less shy and quiet and would spend recesses either playing kickball or touch football but when neither of those were occurring or we had an indoor recess I went back to my previous patterns. I never became as outgoing as I was as a toddler again. I did make a few more friends though during elementary school, but during it another of my original kindergarten friends moved away and the last one and me stopped being friends I guess he thought I was weird. Early middle school was really bad, I became even more quiet then I had been in elementary school, I hardly ever hung out with anyone after school. It’s the first time I remember really being depressed. Luckily my family moved away the summer before 8th grade and I got a fresh start in a new state. 8th and 9th grade I was actually a normie though seen a bit weird.

>1/2

>> No.17419824

Just to pray to Jesus Christ for another chance. Do it regularly. Almost surely you'll get it. But don't use it for sinful things like fucking random women. Get a gf.

>> No.17419832

>>17419347
I hate women.

>> No.17419835

>>17419706
>And younger women don't want to fuck weird old awkward introvert guys
Have you never listened to Steely Dan's seminal track Hey 19?

>> No.17419857

>>17419595
>or you walk in and give the manager a firm handshake and get the job
OK boomer

>> No.17419861

>>17419777
>simping for king simp
Cringe

>> No.17419865

>>17419347
Why are american homes so ugly?

>> No.17419867
File: 20 KB, 536x550, 930E3D90-0D7E-41AB-8EE0-45DCF07141E9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17419813
>>17419413
I didn’t mean to write this much so I’ll just rush through the rest.

I ended dropping out if normie but became a part of a small but comfy friend group of Ellie autism’s first the rest of highschool, college was awful and I never had any social life whatsoever. I continue to be a reserved and quiet guy to this day, though I’d beat the shit out of someone if they tried to fuck with me.

Idk why I wrote all of this I guess I guess what you said triggered some sort of need for self reflection in myself? Thoughts?

>> No.17419879

>>17419867
>>17419413

>2/2

>> No.17419880

>>17419835
Steely Dan was a rock band full of attractive extroverted musicians and not some ugly incel creep loner.

>> No.17419919

>>17419706
this is false just because you can always date younger. A lot of the girls my age are dating 28 year old guys. Stop applying women's predicaments to men

>> No.17419930

>>17419880
Lmao Steely Dan were ugly as fuck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTh_IEyU1w

>> No.17419931

>>17419777
>that's your CEO
That simply isn't true. Not without two masters degrees at least - and most chads bomb out academically as undergrads.

>> No.17419962
File: 238 KB, 682x1024, hulla beck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17419347
>Proust
Faggot
>Mann
Closeted faggot and pedophile
>Houellebecq
Degenerate mess. Just look at him and tell me if that is the kind of man that results from a spiritually healthy conception of life.
Stop listening to what these kinds of people say. No wonder you feel spiritually sick.

>> No.17419964

>>17419919
those older guys in their late 20s and above who are dating younger girls all have years of experience in dating from a young age, its the same type of guy who was successful at the dating game when they themselves were that age.
The awkward weirdos aren't going to all of a sudden magically turn into some charismatic charmer in their late 20s, they don't have the years of experience, positive feed back loop or confidence to become that sort of person that other older guys have in the dating market.

>> No.17419969

>>17419930
Fagen was ok looking. Big jaw, big lips, big nose. Probably big dick. They were also famous and rich and smart.

>> No.17419974

I'm 24 and nothing has worked out for me. Not academia, not relationships, not friendships.

I used to be a Chad I guess, before I dropped out of college I even had a couple awkward younger guys that would follow me around, do errands for me, one guy would even go in front of me and open doors while giving me a salute ahaha. But I was a different guy back then and my mind was a lot less fucked.

Was very briefly married with a girl but she was never able to make me a priority and we were cheating on each other and constantly arguing so we broke it off. After that I gave up on everything I was trying to do (basically live in the rat race hamster wheel) and moved up into the woods for a couple of months.

When I meet people I assume they're out to get me, and don't put in any effort. It doesn't matter anyways because the people I meet are all at least a decade older than me, and with COVID there's no where to meet people my own age. I guess they're all in school or something.

All I do these days is shitpost on 4chan and work on building a business. I'm financially independent, but by 25 I'd like to have enough money to go out, impress girls at clubs and eat meals other people cook for me-- that kind of thing. A couple of revenue streams, some stocks, maybe some kind of social media. If I can be successful then that justifies all the pain.

Don't listen to >>17419577, >>17419502 trying to get you down. I've worked in elementary schools before and most children are screaming retards who will do whatever someone in a position of power tells them. Adults are the same way, so honestly you should stop worry about minute details of how you behave and carry yourself, and worry about the more ephemeral question of what power is and how to obtain it. If you study alchemy you can change your innermost nature, and at least have power over yourself.

>> No.17419978

>>17419347
>tfw American fathers not only willingly send their daughters to college, but allow them to get into large amounts of debt to do so
Really makes you think

>> No.17419983

>>17419964
you sound like you have low T and dopamine lol. Sappy as fuck.

>> No.17419993

>>17419964
Then hire a prostitute. You're making this out to be bigger than it actually is.

>> No.17419994

>>17419974
God bless you

>> No.17420007

>>17419993
Don't. It is a terrible dehumanising experience and it wont improve your life at all.

>> No.17420010

>>17419983
This. You >>17419964 should get out of this place asap. Not only does it lower your dopamine, but it sickens your soul with demoralization.

>> No.17420018

>>17419962
1) Good lit will be somewhat scarce if you discard all the homos.
2) Houellebecq's look is pure fabrication. It is planned and thought like that of most musicians in order to fit the persona people would infer from his books and boost his sales.

>> No.17420022

>Thanking God for fornication