[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 474x632, external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17720693 No.17720693 [Reply] [Original]

You read a lot of Nietzsche, /lit/. How would you define at least some of these concepts?
>Amor fati
>Eternal return
>God is dead
>Last man
>Nihilism
>Ressentiment
>Transvaluation of values
>Tschandala
>Übermensch

I'm trying to get more perspectives even if they're one liners.

>> No.17720704

>>17720693
how about you read him

>> No.17720711

>>17720693
>you read
>lit
I keked

>> No.17720722
File: 128 KB, 680x634, 1605771982622 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17720693
>a cope
>a big cope
>copeville
>coping mechanism
>cope time
>cope lord
>cope and more cope
>cope LOL
>cope CRINGE
COPE.

>> No.17720739

>>17720693
>basedd
>based
>based
>based
>based
>based
>giga based
>based
>super based

Nietzsche is truly the most based philosopher

>Error: Our system thinks your post is spam.
fuck you

>> No.17720748
File: 23 KB, 894x773, 1612109230141.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17720739
>last man is based

>> No.17720753

>>17720693
>love of fate
>the eternal return. sorry. you're just gonna have to figure this one out
>not useful
>not useful
>not useful
>ressentiment is like resentment
>what
>haven't read the books where that one shows up
>the ubermensch uses da willtopower

hope that helps

>> No.17720761

>>17720722
>>17720711
Based, dubs confirm

>> No.17720777

>>17720753
What I don't get about the eternal return is why it's so important. He first defines in the Gay Science

>What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' [The Gay Science, §341]

>> No.17720862

>>17720777
yeah that quote definitely situates it in an underwhelming way, and then it crops up in so many different ways in the Deleuze and Klossowski and Foucault that you feeling like you're flying and forgot you ever jumped

stated thus it's just about rejecting any distance, any difference between the present and an ideal end, any difference between actuality and the realm of justice and ideals, any difference between the value of what you have/are/will and infinite freeflowing value in and of itself; but stated that way it's just that, a mechanism, a kicking off of the present

it begs the question of what difference exists between the eternal return and the other expressions of pure 'interpretation' in Nietzsche and the Nietzschean: affirmation, the schizophrenic process 'always-already complete as it proceeds as long as it proceeds' at the end of Anti-Oedipus, 'interpenetration' in the Logic of Sense, every name in history is I (from a fragment of the real, late, mad Nietzsche) ... is it all the eternal return? is the eternal return one step back from this post, is it the maddening sensation of seeing but not being able to grasp ones hand around the state of pure acceptance? frustration with the need to repeat "om," never staying in the o nor the m?

but the importance of the thing is already replaced or interwoven in the larger matter that some have agreed to find importance there

>> No.17720916

>>17720862
Thanks I see its importance to Nietzsche's thought this way. Weird he didn't insist more on it in more of his works. Perhaps he didn't feel it was his or original enough given how prevalent it is in ancient mystic thought.

>> No.17720930

>>17720862
never thought about it this way nor have i read any of those who reference it in this way. pretty interesting and thanks

>> No.17720958

>amor fati
Latin for "love of (one's) faith", one should not only learn to accept one's life, including both the good and the bad, that is, the pleasures and the sufferings, but learn to love these things as well. In order to love one's suffering, one must recognize that suffering is essential to learning. Always felt like Nietzsche used suffering in a spiritual sense, "spiritual suffering" (existential dread, recognizing one's ignorance whether it be about specific topics or the universe). "Spiritual suffering" is not about "realizing your place in the universe", its more like "okay, so I'm here, that means I can only go upwards from here." Metaphysically, amor fati also relates to eternal occurrence where "one should love their life so much that they are willing to live it again and again an infinite amount of times."

>God is dead
We've progressed to a point scientifically, philosophically, and societally that we do not need to rely on the teachings of Christianity. Christianity was useful as a means of keeping people's natural egoism contained (by fear of divine judgment) so that society can progress without being in a constant state of nature (where everyone is at war with everyone us). Our reliance on Christianity helped us progress, but we've progressed so much, we don't have to rely on Christianity anymore.

>Nihilism
There are two kinds of nihilism. At its most basic, it simply means nothing matters. However, there is optimistic and pessimistic nihilism. Pessimistic nihilism is when your belief of "nothing matters" weakens you, turns you lazy, amoral. Optimistic nihilism is when you realize "nothing matters" and you start there as a "creative nothing" forging your own moral code, a code that has no backing in any traditional system.

>Last Man
Essentially a pessimistic nihilist as described above, but an even more extreme example where their belief that nothing matters makes it so they will try to destroy anyone that changes this worldview. If an ubermensch wants to create values, the last man wants to destroy the ubermensch for creating values.

>Ubermensch
A great man who will bring forth a new moral code that will end slave morality (namely Christianity) as the dominant moral system that controls society. The Ubermensch will recognize eternal return as the best metaphysical mode of thought and will preach a moral system within the confines of that ontology. Jesus, ironically, is the closest we've ever gotten to an ubermensch because he killed greco-roman thought and created a new dominant moral system, but Jesus was not an ubermensch because his system still taught slave morality.

Please let me know if I got anything wrong. Also I had a hard time describing the other things you wanted OP.

>> No.17720992

>>17720916
I don't think it'd be lost on Nietzsche at all how many cultures place ontological primacy on their concepts of rebirth, cyclic time. (He definitely wasn't a stranger to the ante-/anti-subjectival cosmology of the Greeks!) I don't think the eternal return is meant to fold back into these concepts though, it's not a concept that privileges a cycle in universal logic that always-already flows without the subject, I think the eternal return was always falling back on the something subject-adjacent; at any rate you definitely want to read Klossowski's Nietzsche and the Vicious Circle instead of taking my vagaries for it.

>> No.17721140
File: 187 KB, 705x669, t. heidegger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17720958
I like your description of amor fati. Heidegger has a nice interpretation of Nietzsche's nihilism and "God is dead" that extends beyond Christianity.

>> No.17721151
File: 54 KB, 687x411, heidegger2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17721140
Rest of the paragraph

>> No.17721171

Also Heidegger
> “will to power” means the accruing of power by power for its own overpowering

>> No.17721393
File: 107 KB, 690x416, heidegger3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Heidegger also explains the eternal return but I didn't understand it

>> No.17721429

>>17720693
>>Amor fati
cope, but a reasonable cope
>>Eternal return
dumb metaphor
>>God is dead
True, one of his best concepts. The effects of the death of God are easily visible in modern society
>>Last man
Meme
>>Nihilism
Cope. He didn't understand nihilism (he didn't realize he was nihilistic himself)
>>Ressentiment
true
>>Transvaluation of values
True
>>Tschandala
Idk
>>Übermensch
Meme

>> No.17721459

>>17721429
>He didn't understand nihilism
What's nihilism?

>> No.17721524
File: 117 KB, 756x662, nietzsche.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17721393
Though desu Heidegger may just be interpreting in Nietzsche his own philosophy, as Nietzsche said in pic related.

>> No.17721546

>>17720958
>>For even churches and Gods’-graves do I love, if only heaven looketh through their ruined roofs with pure eyes; gladly do I sit like grass and red poppies on ruined churches

>> No.17721607

>Amor fati
Love what actually occurs as it is, don't seek for a better world behind or after.

>Eternal return

What is happening, want it to come back again and again eternally, including the most dreadful part of your life.

>God is dead

God's grace may still be perceptible but it no longer set things in motion, like the phantom light of a dead star.

>Last man

The man who only reacts to affects while believing he's active. Like the scientist who reacts to the external phenomena of an observed body. The opposite is the poet who becomes the subject of his observation.

>Nihilism

The state of the Ideal after the death of God.

>Ressentiment

The psychological effect of being reactive.

>Transvaluation of values

The ideal is dead, how must we value this life and this world so that we may want the eternal return?

>Tschandala

The last man thinking he's a superior man.

>Übermensch

Who we must give birth from us.