Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 19 KB, 100x100, comfy_pepe.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
17797768 No.17797768 [Reply] [Original]

How, if at all, will psychology and the social sciences overcome the replication crisis in your opinion? If you think these fields will be able to overcome the crisis, what sort of paradigm shift in methodology and/or attitude will allow them to do so?

>> No.17797773

>>17797768
idk curious

>> No.17797783

>>17797768

A good thread. Hope people will contribute with interesting answers

>> No.17797786

>>17797768
no one gives a shit about studies

>> No.17797795

>>17797768
Maybe interpreting the problem from the theoretical framework of Benjaminian notions of mechanical reproducibility might shed some light on the matter. It would certainly make for an interesting argument.

>> No.17797802

>>17797768
>psychology and the social sciences
Medicine should also be mentioned, since it's very much affected by the crisis ATM.

>> No.17797803

>>17797786
that's the problem

>> No.17797812

>>17797795
elaborate? what are "benjaminian notions of mechanical reproducibility"?

>> No.17797831

>>17797768
By designing better studies. IQ was extensively criticized so they kept refining the tests and studies, accounting for more variables, until they reliably replicated and predicted for outcomes. They just need to do the same thing with other parts of social sciences and be prepared to throw out theories that have no evidence and consider theories that have implications they don't like.

>> No.17797839

>>17797768
They can't. The replication crisis is baked into the application of a methodology which controls for variables to a system with nearly limitless variables. You can never accurately disclose your premises, because they can always be split into significantly different sub-premises. Psychology, most medicine, sociology, nutrition, most economics, any poll-based political science, and any fields that rely on statistics to an appreciable extent are empty vessels into which funding interests can pour any ideology they want by manipulating hidden premises. Even a study which attempts to achieve objectivity will still be undercut by their own hidden premises.

>> No.17797847

>>17797768
pre-publish and add independent replication as a necessary step to full-publish, could even have a draw between institutions fit for replication worldwide.

>> No.17797880

>>17797812
From Walter Benjamin's essay "The Work of Art in the Age of its Mechanical Reproduction". Benjamin argued that, since the advent of technology capable of reproducing artworks for mass consumption, such as prints of paintings through the use of photography, or recordings of orchestral symphonies, the 'aura', or cult value of an artwork is lost. In other words, its uniqueness, and therefore its power, is lost.

My point is, if experiments cannot be reproduced, it is because we haven't reached the technological or epistemological turn that will allow us to do so. In the meantime, these unreproducible seminal studies and experiments retain their aura owing to their singularity.

>> No.17797908

>>17797880
Either take your pills or read more than one work of criticism, homie, this is the most tenuous shit I've ever seen and you're acting like ANYONE would have made that leap on reading your comment

>> No.17797914

>>17797768
They won't.

>> No.17797926

>>17797908
>read more than one work of criticism
>hasn't heard of Benjamin
>can't into interdisciplinary thinking

Checks out.

>> No.17797940

>>17797880
>>17797908
as the anon who they're replying to, i'm reading it.

thanks for the reply based Benjamin shill anon xP

>> No.17797957

>>17797880
Why did he go on a random tangent against fascism in that essay? One moment he's talking about something interesting, and the next minute you're reading his amazingly objective read on why commie aesthetics are totally okay while fascist ones are not.

>> No.17797986

>>17797926
I read that exact piece years ago, and it's only applicable to the replication crisis if you think that the "replication crisis" is "you can't stage the same study twice", rather than "you can't get the same result twice".

>> No.17797994

>>17797957
unironically more interested now

>>17797880
is this a good copy?
http://art2.sewanee.edu/files/handouts/benjamin_mechanical.pdf

>> No.17797997

>>17797957
>>17797957
Because this subject was de rigueur at the time (1935), especially in Germany where Benjamin originated from, and where the menace of every tenet of fascist ideology was clearly felt in Western Europe, and not just by intellectuals like him.

He ended up committing suicide because he felt that he could not escape France to safety (he was a Jew) when the Germs invaded, because of the closing of borders. In fact, had he waited one more day, he would have been able to escape when borders reopened.

>> No.17798017

>>17797957
>One moment he's talking about something interesting, and the next minute you're reading his amazingly objective read on why commie aesthetics are totally okay while fascist ones are not.
20th century thought is just teeming with this phenomenon. It is especially funny when it's coming from philosophers doing radical re-evaluations of conventional structures of knowledge, but as soon as racism or fascism or whatever come up they become full blown ideologues parroting institutional dogma.

>> No.17798028

>>17797986
Thanks for clarifying. Just throwing light-hearted ideas out there, remember, this is a Subsaharan kite-surfing forum, not a an academic journal.

>> No.17798041

>>17797997
I know that it was the thing to talk about at the time, but it's just a weird thing to pivot to, especially considering how bad of a leg it is to stand on, to proclaim the superiority of communist aesthetics against fascist aesthetic when everyone who has no ball in this game is aware how both suck the life out of art by making art a mere political battlefront, a tool for propaganda. No amount of mental gymnastics make that not so.

>> No.17798091

>>17798041
It's easy to make that observation in hindsight. It probably didn't even cross his mind to perceive Social Realism as propaganda

>> No.17798140

>>17798091
I think that's quite unlikely, rather, he thought social realism was okay while fascist aesthetics were not. That is to say, he thought the ends justified the means in the case of the former, especially if he saw the former as a necessary agent against the latter.

>> No.17798340

>>17797768
Bump.

>> No.17798692

>>17798017
>but as soon as racism or fascism or whatever come up they become full blown ideologues parroting institutional dogma

Anon you are wrong. Anti-fascism and anti-racism was not the "institutional dogma" of the first half of the XXth century. In fact, racism and fascism were rampant and tolerate in Europe at that time by many sectors of European societies.

>> No.17798805

>>17798692
>after hitler our turn
stalinism is not based

>> No.17798941

Isn't this really a problem of rent-seeking behavior on the part of academics to survive in the current system. Are there different models elsewhere, like I have no idea how academia operates in China for example

>> No.17798984

>>17798941
i think you're exactly right. The problem is that, like conservatives say, academia isn't competitive in a market society. Most academics that really have a philosophical impact now a days either hate their peers, or are private market players. Our society is bourgious atm, not aristocratic. the academy is only justified insofar as liberals have decided that it's a valuable institution worth preserving.

>> No.17799028

Why would the social sciences have to?

>> No.17799242

>>17797768
i love this apu

>> No.17799250

>>17798692
in the academic circles we are talking about it's been dogma since the 20s

>> No.17799264

>>17799242
Me too! Look at him, all cozy and snug in his comfy blanket. I like to think that he's in a warm and nice chalet in the Swiss alps, with a cup of hot coco within reach and the fireplace roaring, as well as a purring puss keeping him company.

>> No.17799317

>>17799264
i usually think of him in his parents house during winter break. Mom made some cocoa and the homies are gonna come over for a lan in a few days.

>> No.17799324

>>17799028
You don't get to be both pseudoscientific and reference material when it comes to issues researched by your field (say, immigration for sociology), unless you can secure state backing for the ideology you espouse.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action