[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 688 KB, 1884x1236, 1617813881292.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17970414 No.17970414 [Reply] [Original]

Any progress on your novels?

previous thread:>>17959526

For Prose:
>The Art of Fiction
>Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
>On Becoming A Novelist
>Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft
>How Fiction Works
>The Rhetoric of Fiction
>Steering the Craft
>On Writing, Borges

For Poetry:
>The Poetry Home Repair Manual
>Western Wind: An Introduction to Poetry
>This Craft of Verse, Borges

Related Material:
>What Editors Do
>A Student's Introduction to English Grammar
>Garner's Modern English Usage

Suggested books on storytelling:
>The Weekend Novelist
>Aristotle's Poetics
>Hero With a Thousand Faces
>Romance the Beat

Suggested books on getting your fucking work done you lazy piece of shit:
>Deep Work
>Atomic Habits

Traditional publishing
> Formatting manuscript
https://blog.reedsy.com/manuscript-format/
> Write a query
https://www.janefriedman.com/query-letters/
> Track your query
https://querytracker.net/

Other Resources
>General grammar/syntax/editing help
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html
> When/where/how should I write?
https://jamesclear.com/daily-routines-writers
> What software should I write with?
https://self-publishingschool.com/book-writing-software-best/
> Amazon Publishing to make that KDP monie
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200635650
> Be like Charles Dickens and write serially
https://www.royalroad.com/
> Basic overview of the Screenplay format
https://screenwriting.info/

>> No.17970431

Repeat after me:

>I will not self-publish my writing.
>I am better than that.
>It is the coward's way out.
>I will obtain an agent.
>There is no path to success in self-publishing.

I will repeat this whenever I doubt myself.

>> No.17970434

Lovely anime op pic

>> No.17970442

Jim liked the idea of dying. It pleased him very much, and when a new disease was introduced to the public his immediate reaction was to com. Having exhausted all existential pondering and having committed all the socially acceptable vices to the point of mundanity, Jim’s depravity now manifested in random obsessions that were mostly sexual in nature, and thus the mere vestige of a deadly disease could swoon him into sybaritic tinge lasting week to week, fornication to fornication.

Aside from these sexual desires, his pettier hedonism consisted of popping zits and spending large amounts of money on useless things, stuff he’d forget he’d bought, or other times just giving the money away: throwing it on the floor, putting it in purses, or even flushing it down the toilet. Once he was arrested on shoplifting charges while slipping a 100 into a woman’s purse. She claimed he stole the 100 from her, and instead of contesting Jim agreed. Luckily, she didn’t feel compelled to press further charges, so Jim gifted her an extra 100 out of embarrassment.

The key to modern society lay in one’s ability to make themselves appear intelligent, and by virtue of indifference and a genuine lack of intelligence Jim found himself at home dwelling often, moving from lust to lust.

Driven from home Jim found himself on the streets, like a stray alley cat which he saw pass by him on the corner. He didn’t think to consummate this lust, so he spent his time admiring its velvety black skin. For cats can be very arousing, but one should never act on such thoughts, however this newfound disease’s sensuousness lingered on his mind, and with a swift motion he went into the bathroom of a Chipotle to clear his mind (and penis) of such thoughts.

The next day Jim woke up by a dumpster and a homeless man started shouting at him. Intrigued by such intensity, Jim decided to engage.
‘Hello sir.’
‘Yo mane whatcha say mane and I ain’t do none of that shit mane, and today mane… and … today... ah … hahah. … you funny… yes…. Yes. Mane… damn you a crazy nigga mane…. Told dat bitch it ain’t no fourth of July homie ja dig, na mane I ain’t do dat shit nigga I’m an innocent mothafucka.’

Unfortunately, Jim had trouble understanding this man, so he ignored him and continued to walk around the city. He approached the Metropolitan museum and pissed on the steps. Maybe that could be their newest exhibition, and this pleasant thought turned sour as the disease came back to Jim’s mind once again, even more troubling than yesterday as such trifles usually subside after the initial ejaculation, so after Jim’s piss on the steps he cleared his mind on the steps as well.

>> No.17970488

Mastering the use of language is an admirable skill, even more so when used creatively! Don't ever give up anons! Keep fighting!!

>> No.17970517

>>17970488
I want to die.

>> No.17970578

>>17970517
LIVE, ANON! IF NOT FOR YOU, THEN FOR ME! FOR ART!

>> No.17970586

>>17970414
behead vtubers and their sympathizers

>> No.17970642

can I post a treatise?

>> No.17970648

>>17970642
Yes

>> No.17970654
File: 200 KB, 609x687, lit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17970648
aight

>> No.17970659

>>17970121
Is that actually profitable?

>> No.17970728

>>17970654
do you define capitalism at one point?

>> No.17970787

>>17970728
not yet, I haven't

>> No.17970810

>>17970659
It could be. It might not be. Depends on how good your writing is and how much you are capable of pumping out every week.

>> No.17970855

>>17970787
Then it's just mental masturbation imo, it's written fine sure, but I don't really read that type of writing, that pseudo-bleak speciously conspiratorial pamphlet, IDK it's adressing societal problems using language and vague reasoning. Certainly structurally fine, just kind of bland and nobody ever says anything new on the issue.

>> No.17970896

>>17970810
I think I write pretty good fantasy, not just isekai. I just don’t really have any personal interest in it. I might give this a go if I could make some money but I’m not sure I guess.

>> No.17970930

>>17970896
If your manuscript is finished already or you think you're nearly done and its polished you could try a hand at Amazon/KU/tradpublishing.

>> No.17971025
File: 37 KB, 474x324, D04630D2-2E3A-40B7-BBC1-423CECE38FD6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How is it so far, lads? I’m new to the First Person gig.

https://pastebin.com/cx8RUcBi

>> No.17971038
File: 70 KB, 1200x675, MonkaSSS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go back to something I wrote 2 weeks ago
>it's actually good

Lads, I don't remember ever going back to something and not wanting to rewrite everything. Spooky shit

>> No.17971045

>>17970930
I don’t have anything. I’m just saying I’ve written fantasy in the past and got a lot of praise for them. I’ve just never done anything with those stories because, I don’t know, I didn’t really get into writing them or want to tell those stories. I’m just at a point now where I just want to write and I can’t keep doing this day job thing so I’m willing to do whatever is popular. Id write new stories to submit. As much as it’s something I don’t really aspire to do, I’d do it for money.

>> No.17971056

>>17971025
BRUH YOUR TENSES

CLEAN THAT UP

>> No.17971072

>>17971038
You are getting better. I’m proud of you.

>> No.17971166

>>17971056
It’s the past tense, present tense thing is it? Thanks, anon.

>> No.17971193

I have a dilemma and need some help.
>Writing a scene that introduces a character who will eventually become the main antagonist.
>The character is an assassin, and the entire scene is his assassination of a woman who leads a gang of criminals.
>Really want this scene to showcase how dangerous he is, which it does, but also that he is a cold-hearted bastard.
>I do this by having the woman seduce him in exchange for her life. She offers herself on the unspoken assumption that he would spare her, but after he bangs her, he kills her anyway.

My issue is that it's kind of risque. It's a little bit edgy even, and I can't decide if I want to keep it or just have him kill her without the sex happening at all. On one hand it would be 'safer', but on the other, I do really like how it shows how much of a massive cold-hearted douchebag this guy can be.

>> No.17971200

>>17971038
Poggers, progress.

>> No.17971217

>>17971193
I remember reading this exact scenario in Star Wars fanfiction a few years ago, except the woman knew she would not be spared cause sith shit. I still remember the scene and it was not explicit or anything given that I do not read smut. One of the few scenes from fanfiction I remember.

Therefore I think it is okay. A bit of edginess is okay. As long as its not a constant variable and since its not the first scene its okay, imo.

>> No.17971263

>>17971217
Yeah I feel like I read this same fanction. Was it a Mara jade one?

>> No.17971274

>>17971263
I do believe so. Not too certain though.

>> No.17971322

>>17970654
First line might come across cleaner as:

>How is it that man can live within the frameworks of civilization, whilst not descending into madness?

I personally hate the use of whilst here. Pretentious. But if that's what you're going for...

Work on getting rid of run-on sentences and changing some commas to periods. There's no reason why the "The city is arguably the foundation of society and human civilization itself" should be followed by a comma. It would be more effective to end it with a period, as though you are asserting that. Also, the adjectival "human" is definitely not necessary.

As for the rest of that same sentence. You know what, I'm just going to rewrite the first sentence:

>The city is arguably the foundation of civilization. After a collective develops a surplus of food, time that was once dedicated solely for agriculture can then be directed elsewhere.

>> No.17971380

>>17971056
If you don’t mind me asking — was the story itself worth reading?

>> No.17971417

Good and evil do not exist, I flippantly thought as I sat engulfed with a glass of whisky, my copy of Kafka’s The Castle… and some lubrication for a nice squirt. To be, in a rather ineluctably curt sonorousness contradicting my, to-be, proceeding, speciously saccharine trifle, I was vexed by the possibility a spirit would possess me, to be arrogantly curt that is, in a rather detached un-committal open-minded sense… from profound ejaculation (a certain amount of caffeine would augment my unfocused whims into pure mania), the raving devilish miscreant that I am… one knows how spirits work… crawling up your rectum when you least expect it… I joke, but this mundane late-October night, approaching the countdown to the much-anticipated equinox is when this type of thinking began, when the sky’s grimness resulted in a profound un-nostalgic nostalgia for the times that never could be. The possibility that reality was in front of me, and all my dreams would decay into a puffy brown excrement was something I refused to accept. For the sky with all of its profundity is a mirror, usually evincing awe or rather wonder were now revealing grimness and fatigue, but I must now remark on a certain amount of sentimentality and longing in such a sky, for its nature yearned to be appreciated and I must thank the Heavens from above for miraging such a wonderful sight… much like the clitoris serves as the sort for a woman (of the soul that is). My perverted mind continues! Aha!
Nevertheless, yes, the thought did somewhat (I humble myself and the reader, for my affliction was much more pronounced later on, and many-a-time I could feel my penis throbbing through my goose-egged white oak desk) arouse me, take the Cthulhu for example, an ancient tale: … being, un-being… to possess, to capture, to defeat life, to live as another; this type of thinking intrigued me during this otherwise dark period where the grim sooty night complemented my Milton-deconstructive fixations. My daily habituations much comprised of spending hours in the local cemetery, contemplating moral hypotheticals, and noticing the tall dark woman out of the corner of my eye. For she was but a typical neighborhood inhabitant, with the time of year indicating a pseudo-bleak adornment, but back to her later, for every adventure must have its heroine.
Now these latent, transitioning on blatant fantasies were becoming apparent to those around me. I would sit among the dinner (or breakfast, depending on the time of day) table and bring the conversation around to this contemplation… when they would least anticipate it… a menial exchange about the credibility of academic conventions in American universities would turn to a philosophical dialect on the qualities of being and possessing, ... (p1)

>> No.17971450

I kind of want to insert an offensive italian stereotype into my story for literally no reason

>> No.17971456

>>17971450
then do it, it's not like anyone will read it

>> No.17971708
File: 2.78 MB, 1600x6278, bowlan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17970414
Posted in last thread but died immediately.
Appreciate any feedback. Still just rough draft.
True story.

>> No.17971801

>>17970654
Kinda clumsy. Make it flow better and even if the thesis isn't coherent, it'll be at least fun to read.

>> No.17972656

>>17971193
I mean, if he's such a "douchebag", why would he need her consent in the first place? Wouldn't he just rape her if he felt like it?

>> No.17973092

>>17970431
Go ahead. I'll be self publishing soon.

>> No.17973098

Hoping to honor Moses,
I admired her like Dolores.
The drunken lady drenched
with blood and excretion
I loved that wench
We drove on the road
Ulaanbaatar
She decided not to go
As if Chesterton could know
I stopped on the way
And Virgil said nay

>> No.17973283
File: 53 KB, 655x509, kms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>try to write a fun adventure fantasy
>try to make a believable world
>cant even focus on the characters because im just trying to make sense of the world building
>starting to feel more like a school project than a fun hobby
>realize i have no talent and give up

>> No.17973322

>>17971450
>offensive italian stereotype
Italians are white now, go wild. What might be really interesting is you could pull off some kind of covert bigotry, wrapped inside of an SJW tale. Like have him speak with wide, sweeping hand gestures and dress in flamboyant Italian clothing and speak with a mincing accent, and at the end reveal that all of his eccentric mannerisms are a result of homosexuality.

>> No.17973323

>>17973283
Try writing less ambitious stuff. Short stories require little in the way of worldbuilding. Hone your skills on that before tackling something like a fantasy epic—Tolkien had been already been writing for years before he wrote The Hobbit, let alone TLotR.

>> No.17973358

>>17973283
The shortcut to making a world seem believable is to distract the reader from it. Like the economics of Panem in the Hunger Games make no fucking sense, they're only mentioned to continually reinforce the idea that the districts are oppressed. Half of the "technology" is just magic.
People have spent countless hours discussing whether or not the presence of mahogany on the tribute train implies a functioning in-universe Europe.

You probably want to write something with a little more depth than the Hunger Games, but go check out r/fantheories and you'll see idiots stumbling over themselves to justify the plotholes in any major work of fiction.

Tolkien and GRRM just lifted their shit from history.

>> No.17973398

>>17973358
Yea im one of those autists who gets bent up over things in fiction that dont make sense. So when my world building doesnt make sense it just sends me into a rabid hole where im making up reasons for things. Its very tedious.

>> No.17973406

>>17973283
>falling into the worldbuilding trap
yikes. You know how a world is built? One building at a time, going from small to large. Your problem is you're probably going the other way. Building the country first, and then the city, and then the roads and whatever else, all in order to end up at that building your character is in. Knock that shit off.

>> No.17973418

>come up with THE idea for my fantasy novel
>all revolves around unexpected switcheroo mid-way
>everyone I asked to read it so far enjoys the first half and dislikes what i do with story and characters later on
it's unironically over bros

>> No.17973422

>>17973406
Thats exactly what I was doing but that approach makes imo. Its seems natural to start with a general structure then add more and more details.

>> No.17973466
File: 93 KB, 1200x838, Writing on a typewriter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17970414
>Any progress on your novels?
Yes, I'm done now. I was never going to become the next Faulkner, the next Nabokov or the next Joyce, but I hid behind the language barrier to avoid criticism for months, maintaining an illusion that was fun to live in while it lasted.
This will be my final post on /lit/. I've been humiliated and exposed as a fraud. My writing is pretentious, infantile, banal drivel. My observations are dull, my language grade school level.
My tenses are mixed up, I use colloquialisms, ellipses and onomatopoeia. I mix tired and trite idioms together to obfuscate their unoriginality with a veneer of irony.
I was never cut out for writing. I began writing my "book" on January 6th. Since then I've produced 66 thousand words for it. These words are a tide of garbage without value, without insight, without form. The themes of time, space, infinity, memory and pointless duelling are not present in my work. It was never real writing, it was anime and weebshit. Look how many words I wrote, because apparently literature is bodybuilding and just aimlessly typing will somehow improve my writing. I don't even know what genre it is that I'm writing. Is it autofiction? A comedy? A picaresque?
Regardless, I have failed. Goodbye.

>> No.17973506

>>17973466
>Look how many words I wrote, because apparently literature is bodybuilding and just aimlessly typing will somehow improve my writing.
Hey, I'm in the copypasta now. That post was so cringe. I thought I was the fictionalized version of Abraham Lincoln from Lincoln of 4chan.

>> No.17973529

>>17973466
>66k words
>get 66
What serendipity!

>> No.17973542

>>17973506
I don't just update the pasta with any old thing, you should be proud you made it in.

>> No.17973571

>>17973466
I've only been writing for three weeks now and even I can spot the basic mistakes present in this story. For starters, too much telling, not enough showing.
>I have put down my pen. Never again will my fingers click-clack across the keyboard. No more outlines, no more characters.
Not only is this version more immersive, it also really boosted your word count tremendously higher. I'll do the rest, and your manuscript, for 5 cents a letter.

>> No.17973598

Hey, you. Post your fucking dialogue tags. Pick a dialogue heavy section and post it. If they're not punctuated correctly, get the fuck out of this thread and read a book.

>> No.17973612

>>17973598
They are punctuated correctly, because I asked for advice and got it.

>> No.17973709
File: 278 KB, 1080x1867, image_2021-04-07_224848.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17973598
Here was one from a recent chapter. White is dialogue and black is, well, not dialogue.

>> No.17973754

>>17973709
>non-speech related actions used ("I agree," he nodded his head.)
>not including a comma before the dialogue continues
You fucking failed. Go read until you fail less.

>> No.17973773

>>17973754
I've started catching myself regarding the nods. I'll keep the other in mind though.

>> No.17973870

>>17973754
Not him and I didn't read his text but what the fuck is the issue with non-speech related actions if they are used right?

>> No.17973894

>>17973598
But I don't have dialogue tags.

>> No.17973909

>>17973870
I was under the impression he meant that I had a redundancy with description, "Richter nodded" instead of "Richter nodded his head". I wasn't sure how to interpret his critique with that any other way. As for comma before dialogue continuing, I remember reading it can be situational or up to preference if it involves a long pause or not.

>> No.17973949

>>17973098
>wench
I'll never understand why you guys try to emulate writing styles from over a hundred years ago. You'll never get published or taken seriously in this day and age. And even if you want to take the coward's route and say "it's just for me" then why post it here. The funniest thing about shit like this is that you'll never ever reach the heights of the people you're trying to emulate. Think about how many writers were around back then and how we only really read and study the most skilled ones. All you're doing is exposing yourself as a pseud. But I did enjoy it though you clearly have the talent experiment a bit more.

>> No.17973962

>>17973949
I agree with you

>> No.17973994

>>17973949
Have you considered he might just like the word?

>> No.17974040

>>17973949
Yeah get with the times. We say shorty now (shawty is also acceptable).

>> No.17974101

>>17973949
Stop being an annoying wench.

>> No.17974112

>>17973949
>You'll never get published or taken seriously in this day and age.

lmao dude writes poetry and you think changing one word might make anyone take him seriously

>> No.17974127

>>17973949
fuck off weeb. podd like yours are so fucking annoying.

>> No.17974147

>>17973994
>>17974040
>>17974101
>>17974112
>>17974127
Hit a pseud nerve didn't I. You will never be Dostoekvsky nor Joyce nor Tolstoy nor Pound nor Henry James

>> No.17974213

>>17970414
Just started the first draft

>> No.17974216

>>17974147
I'm sorry, who was the one that offended over bird synonyms?

>> No.17974223

>>17974216
^got

>> No.17974292

>>17974147
>psseud
You're as retarded as the idiots on /tv/ that spam kino and hack.

>> No.17974318

>>17971025
No one else wishes to read this?

>> No.17974322

>>17974318
I don't open 4chan links. Maybe post it here or screenshot it

>> No.17974364

>>17974318
I couldn’t get past the tense issues

>> No.17974413

>>17974364
Ok, I’ll work on it.

>> No.17974425
File: 588 KB, 1242x2208, 206E9ED4-FCEE-458D-B77E-261D5380F19D.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17974322

>> No.17974430
File: 593 KB, 1242x2208, ED7CCEA3-3689-4DF4-8DFE-84131468972C.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17974425
The rest is on the link

>> No.17974605

ok, how do I cope with actually writing a plot. I can write settings, cultures, societies, but when it comes to writing a story in the world I've created, I just blank

>> No.17974615

>>17974425
>>17974430
Not half bad. I've been kinda missing fantasy from the dwarf perspective. You've got the dwarf attitude down and seem to know what the race is about. Your writing is competent, even if on the generic side, no major mistakes. I could definitely see myself reading more, properly formatted.

>> No.17974641

>>17974605
But setting/culture/society/other worldbuilding is a stage where the characters live their story. You could have a play without a stage but not without actors and a script, the latter being what you want to tell others about.

>> No.17974648

>>17974615
Thanks dude. You mean you want the writing indented or something? That kind of formatting?

>> No.17974659

>>17974648
NAYRT but some fucking paragraphing at least would help loads mate

It's okay. I don't see much in way of storyline but that's to be expected with such a short snippet. A full 1st Chapter would be much more indicative of your storytelling ability.

>> No.17974668

>>17974605
There may be a couple things to think about:
>what does your protag hold dear and what’s a situation where they would have that taken from them and how would they react?
Eg, their cat is kidnapped by an evil king and now they and a band of friends have to work together to go save the cat.

Eg, your protag values loyalty and family above all else but the evil space emperor wants to genocide the fuck outta your planet

>what’s a misbelief your protag has and what’s a situation you can concoct that forces them to confront this?
Eg, your protag is terrified of women but the only way to progress in his career as doctor is to overcome that fear - so he forces himself to start the gynecology track

Eg, your protag believes the earth is flat so he builds a boat and packs rations to sail to the edge of the earth.

Dumb shit, you can see by my examples that I suck at this too, but the idea is you create a scenario that forces your protag to act, then concoct mini scenarios within your overarching scenario to hinder and hurt them, while also forcing them to grow

>> No.17974697

>>17974648
I meant just properly laid out on pages, with a clear font and paragraphing. I detest reading anything on pastebin.

>> No.17974699

>>17974605
What was your impulse behind creating a setting in the first place? Is there anything you want to tell to your reader specifically with this setting ? What problems or questions arise within the setting that can be explored within a story?

>> No.17974702
File: 575 KB, 1242x2208, 65E0AA0C-DB52-4F02-8CF6-96DFA589033F.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17974659
>>17974430
Last two if you wish

>> No.17974710
File: 554 KB, 1242x2208, 93A8B50C-DB86-4712-BAEE-11D320570194.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17974702
>After “light of her glow”

The light of her glow fell upon the middle of her own host, causing an explosion, killing her own minions and knocking us down — even the great iron ships were thrown back across the river. All was low. All was still.
As the smoke was clearing I got up with everyone to witness a pile of skink corpses piled up around what looked like an old woman. Everyone began surrounding the lady to witness what once was the youthful beauty, now turned into a wrinkly old hag — a dark crown-like helmet still on her small head.
‘The Crown of Ages!’ a dwarf says. ‘Gods grace us!’
Everyone clears as Baldovin shoves past to examine our mortal foe. He bends down placing a finger on her neck with one hand and a dagger sitting atop her chest with the other.
‘... Jezebel has perished!’ he elates; everyone throws up their arms and helmets in cheer as he drags out the helmet from her wrinkly, small head and shoots her heart three times for good measure. Dwarven war hounds broke free of their masters to feast upon her corpse, leaving nothing of the vile enemy to be buried. Baldovin stands atop a dead salamander, puts on the helmet as a trophy and raises his gun to the air. ‘They days is ours! The day is ours! The kobolds are no more!’
If I was his father I would’ve crowned him right then and there. If I was a woman I would’ve kissed him. If I was a child I would’ve worshiped the ground he walked on. He was everything a prince should be and I was blessed beyond the counting of my years to have been here today to witness his greatest triumph. I raise to shoot my musket with others, for today — and all eternity in the Crystillian Mountain — was truly ours and ours alone.
But as I look up at our dearest prince he feels a little... dizzy.

>> No.17974715

>>17974710
Please pay no attention to the autocorrect mistakes like “they day is”

>> No.17974855

>>17974697
Oh ok. Well, thanks for the tip, anon, you and that other guy.

>> No.17974874

this thread is horrible, I don't even post here and the OP is horrendous, it disgusted me while browsing, newfags and weebs need to go.

>> No.17974877
File: 50 KB, 500x732, Freudian cigarette.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17974874
That a fact, Jack?

>> No.17975013

I wish I didn't have to research all this ancient esoteric literature in order to write this fucking book god damn it, every time I have to go back and look at the Zohar again my fight or flight response gets triggered, but I have no choice. It's almost like a masochistic pleasure.

>> No.17975047

Do celebrities get book deals for literally anything nowadays? Normal people would never get a manuscript like this accepted

Evelyn Yang, the wife of New York City mayoral candidate and former presidential candidate Andrew Yang, is opening up about sexual abuse in a new children's book designed to get families talking about the issue at a younger age.

"We need to be normalizing these conversations around sexual abuse at a much earlier age," Yang, 39, said on Good Morning America on Monday. "We're taught how to cross the street safely, how to say no to drugs, what to do in the event of a house fire — statistically, children are more likely to be sexually abused than to be in a house fire, yet we don't talk about it until it happens."
Yang says the idea of writing her new book, A Kids Book About Sexual Abuse, came to her after she she said last year that she had been sexually assaulted by her gynecologist.

She was one of 18 women to accuse Robert Hadden of sexual abuse, testifying against him in front of a federal grand jury. (Hadden was indicted on federal charges of sexual abuse last year. He had separately pleaded guilty to two state charges against him, though Evelyn was not one of the women he admitted to assaulting.)

Testifying against Hadden triggered a buried memory Yang had of being assaulted as a child at school, she said on GMA.

"It was in that moment, on the stand, that I suddenly felt like a small, terrified, paralyzed child," Yang said. "And I realized — I've been here before."

She said an adult man at her school had abused her before another school staff member discovered what was happening and intervened.

"I had an instinct that there was something off before the assault," Yang said. "He was being very friendly, and I think I was a little bit off guard because it was at school."

Yang said the stranger was arrested and she testified against him in court, but her family never discussed the incident again.

"I'm curious if it's been a repressed memory for others in my family as well," she said, adding, "It's an uncomfortable topic, so I remember leaving the courthouse and not really talking about it again."

Her book is on pre-order.

https://akidsbookabout.com/products/a-kids-book-about-sexual-abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-lFX-IrYk

>> No.17975058

>>17975047
Unrelated, but I'm also writing a book about sexual abuse, I was wondering is that bad, is the subject too popular and political now? I'm just writing it for the psychological fiction factor.

>> No.17975086

>>17975058
The only books my mom reads are;
>Books about child abuse
>Books about sexual abuse
>Autobiographies

Abuse books are a saturated market.
You may make enough from KDP to keep going, but you won't make a living from it unless you are extremely lucky with the algorithm

>> No.17975105

>>17975086
It presents itself as any other fiction novel, it's just that abuse is a part of the story

>> No.17975112

>>17975058
sexual abuse of children a subject for adults, especially healthcare and legal professionals. wtf is a kid going to do? they have no power. But a policeman or doctor can do something to address the effects of sexual abuse or put an abuse in jail. to make it a children's book is virtue signaling for adults, no kid is going to want to read it, and no adult is going to want to read it either. The only people who will buy this book are white women who will put it on their shelves and show off to visitors so they'll know how progressive and open minded they are

>> No.17975194

>>17971708
lost interest halfway but it picked up again when he resolved to approach her. i was expecting something more, though. the final sentences are too melodramatic. it's a missed opportunity to flesh out the main character especially since it's in first person. i want to dive deeper into his thoughts and emotions. there are no glaring errors but the subject matter is shallow.
>true story
garnish it

>> No.17975199
File: 90 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Remember kids: it's your body! If anyone ever touches you in a way that makes you feel "not cool" then be sure to tell an adult right away.

>Hold it, tails! Those downed powerlines might look like a bundle of fun, but let me tell you, getting killed will really take the sizzle out of your zip!

>Everyone has bad days, even the police! If you're disrespected by the boys-in-blue, just remember: they can legally kill you! No matter what they do, just smile, nod, and thank him for his time!

>> No.17975210
File: 10 KB, 224x217, 961633615.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Every time I think I've reached a level of competence in my writing, I have this sudden enlightenment and discover a whole new dimension of writing that's been out there all along, but I just never realized it before. And I recognize just how fucking far away I still am from professional level and it fucks me up. Just how retarded can I be? How much more is there that I don't know? Aaah I'm losing my mind

>> No.17975570
File: 36 KB, 423x320, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> Do you like pink bows if you're a boy, or fire trucks if you're a girl? That's ok! Everyone can like boy or girl things, no matter what you are. You can even choose to be a boy or a girl. Hehehehe! Sailor Mooon Says!

>> No.17975594

>>17975570
Brave, stunning and powerful message.

>> No.17975600

>>17975570
True

>> No.17975672

>>17973949
>wake up to see if anyone commented on my poem
>One guy mad I used the word wench
>seething back and forth me not involved
Wench rhymes with drench and I'm describing a man who tries to save a lower woman and ends up contemplating suicide at the end.

>> No.17975787

>>17975672
>I'm describing a man who tries to save a lower woman and ends up contemplating suicide at the end

I'm not the guy who got mad at the word "wench", but that's a stupid, cheap choice of subject and I do not empathize.

>> No.17975961

>>17975787
Any subject is a stupid cheap choice of subject.
I do not ask you to empathize, I never write anything purely empathic.

>> No.17976010

>>17973949
Britbong here.
I use Wench all the time to mean girl.
Maybe it's a Black Country thing as we are still living like it's 1921.

>> No.17976051

>>17974702
>scuttling
>scuttle

>>17974710
I will put it bluntly: it is an action sequence, but doesn't tell me anything about the overall plot, nor does it endear me to any of the characters.

The question that I have whenever I read anything posted here is will I, after reading this, be interested in reading more.

>>17975047
I wonder if I can tell my girlfriend that her birth date is a repressed memory instead of "oh sorry I forgot"

>> No.17976056

>>17975961
>Any subject is a stupid cheap choice of subject.
Lol, no bitch, but keep telling yourself that. Ignorance is bliss.

>> No.17976079

>>17975961
>I do not ask you to empathize
Okay, fair enough. Then what am I supposed to feel as the reader? Genuine question.

>> No.17976082

>>17976056
What is an un-cheap un-stupid subject choice to you?

>> No.17976132

>>17976079
>Judaism: Moses
>Buddhism: Ulaanbaatar
>Chrstianity: Virgil as Dante's metaphor

>in love with a flawed girl, can not see her clearly for what he is and instead makes her into a work of art
>contemplates suicide
>decides not to at the end

Same problem using 3 different religions, ending is virgil not guiding him to hell but back to his path. Hopefully you feel hope. If it didn't work as poetry it didn't work, but that's the general formula I went for, although I may be wrong as I only wrote it, I could edit it more.

>> No.17976185

>>17976082
No, let's put it like this first : if any subject is stupid and cheap like you say, is all literature just equally stupid and cheap? Can there be absolutely no qualitative differences between subjects of choice and works of literature?

>> No.17976220

>>17975570
Is there a problem?

>> No.17976251

>>17976132
>>Judaism: Moses
>Buddhism: Ulaanbaatar
>Chrstianity: Virgil as Dante's metaphor

Yeah, yeah, reference for the sake of reference, it's a beginner's trick, people can see right through this shit. You are filling in blanks. Dante's body of work doesn't have anything to do with your "poem". You are doing yourself a disservice by referencing him. Acquire your own thought process.

>> No.17976280

>>17973422
>Its seems natural to start with a general structure then add more and more details.
What you're doing is akin to carving a hole and then trying to find an object that fits the hole perfectly. What you should be doing is taking an object and then carving out a hole into which it will fit.
It's much easier to come up with a hundred little details and then come up with one big structure that fits them all together than it is to come up with one big structure and then come up with a hundred little details that have to fit the big structure and each other perfectly.

>> No.17976307

>>17976251
If there's no reference point you're just jerking off your own inner thoughts and there's no reason anyone should ever care about them. If you have no focal point you just make complete shit like Rupi Kaur, the poem makes sense without referencing anything.

>>17976185
A good writer can make an interesting work out of almost any topic, yes

>> No.17976309

>>17973098
In a word: execrable

>> No.17976321

>>17976309
why

>> No.17976382

>>17976307
>If there's no reference point you're just jerking off your own inner thoughts and there's no reason anyone should ever care about them

...But if you start referring to the Divine Comedy and the Buddhist doctrine, when in reality you are just talking about some thot you don't like, suddenly everyone must care? Is that how you think this works?

>> No.17976398

>>17976382
Yes

>> No.17976405

>>17975199
wow it's real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcrtkiLEGbE

>> No.17976418

>>17976051
Dwarf anon here, God bless you, anon, for the honesty. There was some hint of a plot at the very end, but perhaps I should expand upon that. Again, thanks.

>> No.17976434

I got my first beta-reader feedback, and it was generally positive, with a lot of notes on fixing my punctuation. She thinks my female character is to casually physical, which seems like a note a girl would give. I think I'm getting close to finishing my book.

>> No.17976476

>>17976307
>A good writer can make an interesting work out of almost any topic, yes

There is a reason why these tired stereotypes are considered to be tasteless and you know it, don't bullshit yourself, be honest. You may indeed subvert conventions if you are a good writer, but first you have to be a good writer.

>> No.17977079

How do you deal with the progression of romance in your story if the time passes very slowly? The characters have only known each other for a few three to four days, but those three to four days cover 200 pages of written material. At that point you can just accelerate things at an unrealistic pace right?

>> No.17977134

>>17977079
A romance doesn't blossom like that. Physical attraction is different.

>> No.17977143

>>17977079
Read For Whom the Bell Tolls.

>> No.17977476

Should I worry about futureproofing my scifi story, or focus on fun?

>> No.17977498

>>17977476
Fun.
Unless you are writing speculative fiction.

>> No.17977643

Fellas, would a novel which main characters are an incest child and a pedophile ever sell?

>> No.17977826

>>17977643
Sure, if it mediocre/good.

>> No.17977860

>>17977498
I don't think you know what speculative fiction means

>>17977476
Fun

>> No.17977880

>>17975047
>We need to be normalizing these conversations around sexual abuse at a much earlier age
jesus

>> No.17977918

>>17977860
>I don't think you know what speculative fiction means
Isn't it fiction that speculates on what the future will be like?
am I retarded?

>> No.17977956

>>17977476
>whynotboth.jpg

>> No.17977974

>>17970442
esl as fuck and downright incomprehensible in parts

>> No.17978013
File: 81 KB, 652x806, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.17978126

>>17977880
>nooo, the kids are gonna realize what I'm up to!

>> No.17978145

>>17978126
I think the problem is more to do with us not allowing kids to just be kids.
It's fine to make them aware of simple shit like 'stranger danger', and 'no-touch areas', but nowadays we are trying to force kids to accept homosexuality and transgender-ness.

>> No.17978482

Can you use the archaic "wont" whenver you could otherwise you "want"?

>> No.17978491

>>17978145
>force kids to accept homosexuality and transgender-ness.
As far as I can tell, the book in question is not about such things, and I don't know why you'd want to drag that into this.

>> No.17978499

>>17978482
Want is most typically a verb, whereas wont is most typically a noun.

>> No.17978616

>>17975210
Read xianxia novels and be enlightened.

>> No.17978633

>>17978491
Not that I recommend it, but if you clicked on the publisher link and looked at their other books, you'll find lots of similar questionable books

Gender can be difficult to define, but it’s something that's a part of all of us and who we are. This book isn’t meant to answer all the questions or tell you how you identify, it’s meant to help kids and grownups understand gender and create an open and safe environment for kids to question, experiment, and discover their authentic selves.

https://akidsbookabout.com/collections/all-hardback-books/products/a-kids-book-about-gender

>> No.17978639

>>17977860
>doesnt know what speculative fiction is
>is writing sci fi
?????????

>> No.17978965

>>17977956
What are some ways I can futureproof it?

>> No.17978989

My story is broken into three parts
Little to nothing actually happens in the first part and that's kind of the point
Is there any way to make such a thing more fun to read?

>> No.17979063

>>17978989
Read Beckett. He is the absolute master of writing mind-blowing narratives where nothing happens at all. Start with Waiting for Godot.

>> No.17979071

>>17978989
Good prose, compelling characters and clear foreshadowing

>> No.17979079

>>17978482
No, they mean different things.

>> No.17979112

>>17979063
>>17979071
Thanks a lot!

>> No.17979113

>>17978989
Look up the kishotenketsu structure.

>> No.17979648

Does a dark cyberpunk story need to have rape? Is the darkness diminished if there's a female character who's a virgin that doesn't end up raped?

>> No.17979722
File: 39 KB, 500x459, 1611353455287.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17979648

>> No.17979726

>>17979722
I'll take that as a no. Thanks, friend.

>> No.17980034
File: 94 KB, 758x744, 1304439471079.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A trio of loners sat awash with the odor of ethanol at a dimly lit bar. Bad conversation and even worse jokes kept them seated as they beckoned the keep for another round. From across the room, two more men sat in grim silence, heads down, perhaps praying. Rain clattered down, bombarding the tin shingles poorly sinewed to the roof. The sun has been below the horizon for three days now with nowhere to be; it would rather not spend any time in this unhallowed place. Time and work has since ceased. Four days have passed since the last Blowout.
A sallow boy no older than the dead man that had once fathered him now stumbled into the hazy room. He was cloaked in a drab, tattered, barely green army jacket, with a weathered Kalashnikov strapped to his back. Water pooled around his boots, trailing his jagged step to the barstool. Nobody so much as raised their eyes to meet his. He took a seat adjacent to the trio, and ordered a couple shots of vodka—slammed them—and ordered two more. Color flushed his cheeks and once again breathed life into his countenance. He listened to the men to his left talk for quite some time; their conversation drifted around the stories of loners who have been fortunate to survive the odd expeditions north of here, and have come back sane enough to recant them. Grimacing, he cocked his head towards the menage a trois, who were still yammering about the gossip endemic to old men.
“It seems like Sergey still hasn’t found a lad willing to find that artefact for him, eh?”
“It’s no wonder. Didn’t he say it would be found near those cursed cooling pools? I wouldn’t step foot there regardless of how many bottles deep I was.”
“There’s bloodsuckers there, too, ya know? The only fools stupid enough to go there are already making small talk with Saint Peter. Hahaha!”
“Don’t be a fool, yourself, Yusef. You know those are just some damn ghouls made to scare the rooks.”
“Exactly, your tales of vampires belong back Transylvania, comrade. Aren’t these mutant dogs nipping at our asses enough for you?”
The group bellowed with a drunken laughter. “You two mock me now, but I know the truth. There are devils that reside here in this God forsaken land. And I’m not just talking about that damn Trader, either. Hahaha!” He continued, “No, comrades, I’ve seen such evils with mine own two eyes. You should know, I lost my partner six months ago to Judas, himself...”
“Bah, take another swig. Nobody wants to hear your fables, Aesop.”
“I might be interested.”
The boy pushed back his sopping hood, as the three veterans looked over at young face, for the first time noticing the sunken visage that had taken roost beside them.

Any feedback is appreciated. Should I even continue?

>> No.17980044

>>17979648
Just have her get cumblasted by a cockmonster cyborg if you don't want to include full rape.

>> No.17980084
File: 61 KB, 1468x653, Shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17980034
Sorry for the formatting, I forgot tab doesn't translate over from copy/paste. Here's a screencap.

>> No.17980211

>>17979648
I cringed so hard I almost threw up

>> No.17980579

>Post own novel
>Get told rewrite it in third person and use things like "he said" instead of leaving spoken text floating
>Look at every other novel here
>Half in first person and half in third person and plenty of people leave spoken text floating

I hate you all

>> No.17980584

>>17979648
Just why?

>> No.17980589

>>17980584
Curiosity.

>> No.17980590

>>17980034
pretty bad
>they beckoned the keep
lmao

>> No.17980597

>>17980579
>using other retards as examples
Pick up a traditionally published book off your shelf (any book) and look at what it does.

>> No.17980598

>>17980579
dont base what’s good off fourchan examples or advice. nearly everything in this thread is embarrassingly bad

>> No.17980612

>>17980579
third person and first person is a stylistic preference. Obviously, as we all know, first person is extremely cringe but if you want to use it you aren't necessarily doing anything wrong. If that's what you're comfortable with, stick to it.
But please tag your dialogue you lazy bastard.

>> No.17980623

>>17980612

I don't feel like saying "he/she said" a million times over does anything but pad word count, when who the person is that's talking is obvious.

>> No.17980732

>>17980597
I don’t read. Well, except for Harry Potter. And that book about the woman related to Jesus. Just hasn’t been anything interesting lately.

>> No.17980763

>>17980623
>"he/she said" a million times
Just bite the bullet and do it, bro. And don’t try to get creative about things, either. Strictly “said” without embellishment over and over. Anything else is amateurish. What, are you going to use adverbs to describe how the character said something? Don’t be a faggot. And don’t you dare use anything like “whispered” or “yelled.” Because being afraid of using the word “said” is for faggots.

>> No.17980786

>>17980763

I get what you're saying but I feel like people go out of their way to make characters overly emotional for the sole purpose of avoiding using "said" too many times, lowering the overall quality of the writing.

>> No.17980853

>99% of posters only interested in writing ficiton
>90% of books published each year are nonfiction
Why don't you join the winning team and write nonfiction?

>> No.17980859

>>17976280
How do I break out of the worldbuilding trap when I have a bunch of small characters and details I like?

>> No.17980866

>>17980859
Start writing. worldbuilding is procrastination

>> No.17980887

>>17980853
99% of those books are Jewish fiction.

>> No.17980921
File: 476 KB, 1080x1243, Screenshot_20210409_013633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would appreciate any feedback lads.

>> No.17980942

>>17980866
But then how do I make sense of what I'm doing?

>> No.17980978

>>17980853

What if im not trying to be some NYT top author and just want to write a light novel I hope a few people enjoy?

>> No.17981018

>>17980942
make it up as you go, keep in mind what you've already said, and make any new details conform to that. and then later fix any inconsistencies

>> No.17981029

>>17980921
Better than most of what's posted in these threads, which isn't saying much. What's there is pretty good. But extracts posted out of context can't really be properly critiqued

>> No.17981269

>>17980590
Do you any actual critique that I can refer to, or am I stuck with bad bad, not good.

>> No.17981366

>>17981029
>But extracts posted out of context can't really be properly critiqued
Nonsense.

>> No.17981463

>>17978965
Watch documentaries about future tech and trends?

>> No.17981750

>>17978491
Don't get dragged into it. He (female) knows what he's doing.

>> No.17981906

>>17980859
You shouldn’t. The readers will be able to tell that you half assed your world. If it didn’t matter enough to you to flesh out then why should anything you’re writing matter to them?

>> No.17981947

Question for the animechads.

Is it fine to make a character really durable and give him the ability to push his body beyond its limit at the cost of getting seriously hurt as his only outstanding power?
Think Naruto's durability with the Eight Gates except that he shits himself and collapses into a pile of blood after using it for a while.

>> No.17981950

>>17980921
Jesus. These run-on sentences are overwhelming.

>> No.17981958

>>17981906
N-no...

>> No.17981993

>come up with amazing story
>workout all details, write down notes and work out what goes into each chapter
>write few amazing pages and sentences
>lose interest because it feels like there's nothing more to discover
>never finish
>rinse and repeat
why am i like this

>> No.17981994

>>17981958
Y-yes, now stop stopping work on your world building! Who was the main character’s great grandmother’s first crush? Who takes out the trash in this society? Who will take out the trash after them? Is there sales tax? What’s the latest trend in menswear?

>> No.17982005

>>17981993
It's possible you lack the spirituality to continue onwards.

>> No.17982006

>>17981906
readers say a lot of shit. they don't actually care about worldbuilding. when they say that, what they mean is they want more plotlines that focus on the unique aspects of your world. They're not asking for a complete academic thesis on the way that the nobility factions or how they tax peasants. They don't even care about magic systems. They just want to see something cool happen.
keep it consistent, and focus on the plot. Don't fall for the worldbuilding meme.

>> No.17982090

>>17982006
This anon is right on the ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo
Enough said.

>> No.17982281

>>17982090
>Red Letter Media

>> No.17982381

>>17981906
I honestly cannot think of a single work of fiction which features a setting different enough from our own reality to warrant the term "worldbuilding" in reference to it's ambiance, social interactions, and political economic structures which has not been picked apart and revealed to have major inconsistencies in fundamental areas of construction beneath the scrutiny of obsessive internet fans, unless said work of fiction is based almost entirely on reality itself (eg the work of Tolkien or GRRM).

That was a hell of a fucking sentence, but my point is that one single human being simply lacks the perspective to generate an entire new reality in their own mind. There's always going to be some borderline-illiterate bricklayer who's going to make a youtube video to call you out on selecting an improper grade of stone for the facade of your Hall of Administration or whatever you come up with, just for the pleasure of feeling relevant to some popular discussion.

Rowling got around it with magic, Collins got around it by framing the narrative in a 1st person pov which had limited access to information. Tolkien and GRRM just ripped their shit right out of history.

Another anon pointed out that people don't want to read information about your universe so much as they want the narrative to engage with the concepts you've developed, which seems to me the best way to deal with this sort of problem, instead of just accepting reality like the male authors I mentioned or making feeble excuses to avoid it, like the women.

>> No.17982407

>>17982381
I actually had a similar concern as that anon.
My project has several factions but I don't think I have the means to actually show them all properly save for the most important players or POV characters.
What can I do?

>just write them all what's the issue?
My project is not a book.

>> No.17982528

This thread is trash.

>> No.17982534

>>17982407
The only suggestion I can make is to give each group a defining character. In a project like that, there's going to be multiple compelling characters, and your audience is going to latch on to one or two, and everything else will be judged in relation to that character. For instance, the Hunger Games has 12 districts, but only like five of them are represented by fully-fleshed out characters.

>> No.17982537

>>17982534
You mean a leader.

>> No.17982543

How many words have you written?

>> No.17982549
File: 3 KB, 427x55, image_2021-04-08_222057.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17982543
About this much, chief,

>> No.17982559

>>17982543
In all my life? This cannot be quantified.

>> No.17982562

>>17982559
I meant tonight.

>> No.17982570

>>17982562
>tonight
It's 8:30 in the morning, I've written 15 words.

>> No.17982576

>>17982537
Yes, of course, that's what I meant! Some singular individual who stands above the rest, one godly man with the courage to make a name for himself in the anonymous sea of humanity, one who leads by example and follows his heart, never letting public resistance or the contempt of his peers slow him down. What anon's project needs is... a tripfag!

>> No.17982601

i have written at least 10,000 today on the internet

>> No.17982649

>>17981947
Deku from hero academia does the same shit in a way
And the eyebrows guy from Naruto when he does the open gate thing
And the Shield hero from shield hero when he uses cursed abilities.
It's a trope at this point

>> No.17982706

I'm currently brainstorming a character. He is the bridge between regular monsters to god-like entities. The guy is pretty much an elite soldier that rebelled his side for religious reasons. Are there any prominent military figures I should take a look on?

>> No.17982800

How do I write a character who's not in the same mood as I? If I'm happy, how do I write a character who's sad? If I'm sad, how do I write a character who's happy?

>> No.17982812

>>17982800
wait until you're in that mood?
>inb4 you're never happy.

>> No.17982821

>>17982601
kek

>> No.17982823

>>17982812
He can look at these threads whenever he wants to lift up his spirit for his work. Lord knows that we hate the Fed to death.
>>>/pol/315864510

>> No.17982833

>>17982800
How fucking autistic are you? Do you not have functioning human empathy or have you never experienced the human spectrum of emotions? It should not be hard to put yourself in somebody else's shoes. I am convinced this post was written by AI.

>> No.17982855

>>17981993
>workout all details, write down notes and work out what goes into each chapter
>lose interest because it feels like there's nothing more to discover
So don't work out all the details and leave things to discover later???

>> No.17982919

>>17970414
How do I read or modulate my inner voice in a way to keep my attention going? I’ve discovered that if I read a paragraph as if It’s poetry, I somehow have superhuman attention to details and no matter what I read, it becomes really engaging.
Where can I read or study about sounds to maximize understanding and emotional impact?

>> No.17983000

>>17982576
sensible kek
>>17982919
this nigga really got an artists eye
he really be seeing beauty and aesthetics in the mundane world
just write and try to make every line in accordance to your tastes and then read it over and ensure every line contributes to a passage that is in accordance to your taste

>> No.17983053

>>17983000
It wouldn't be nice to be too self-centered, I'm thinking about starting to read poetry and maybe learn to recite it in front of a mirror.
I shall as you might've hinted, if I read you right, try to mold my voice in the classical forms of those I truly like.

>> No.17983092

>>17982919
Read and study poetry, obviously

>> No.17983230

this thread is trash.

>> No.17983336

Critique for these plotlines would be helpful.
>Protag makes and remote controls small robots in arena fights. Then his team leader, now former friend, who pushed for meta builds for more victories, fired him when viewers got bored. Protag seeks refuge in favorite video game and that's when impossible happens. A vision of endless mirrors with his alternate selves allows him to make a choice. Now he inhabits another's life in a world that is a copy of his favorite game universe with super robots vs mecha monsters.
>The former friend was dragged there as well, with his personality made even worse by knowledge of future events. Their conflict reignites as protag wants to live their best, while the other side works to make the meta knowledge events happen as a guaranteed path to humanity's victory. And he's not the only one plotting as the new world has a history of brewing trouble.

>New Earth develops teleportation and after naтomachine terraform Mars to be at least breathable, a lot of people leave there from both Earth surface and Earth's orbital ring space station.
>That's when a philoshoper's movement reveals itself and says that teleporting kills and recreates instead of transfering, there Mars colonists are Mars natives and only they can claim the planet.
Earth, now unable to send anyone to supress the rebellion due to widespread refusal to use teleports, attempts to use Mars nanomachines to degrade the infrastructure as `soft power' but martians bear with it and Earth has to contain it before it gets too obvious.
Then, experiments to complete teleportation drives that do not interrupt the stream of consciousness, reveal the existence of galaxy wide network and accidentally puncture it near Jupiter. A meteor made from unknown material flies out and comes to rest in Venus's cloud layer. At the same time, unknown mechanical entities with roughly humanoid, or animal shapes start to appear on both Earth and Mars. That's when Mars discovers that a human mind can link to meteor's mysterious material and turn their ceremonial mechs into armor of the knights of the new age. Soon Earth adapts that, but their plans go further than that, to push humanity into the next stage of progress.

>> No.17983528
File: 82 KB, 1200x675, 146514.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are memorable stories inherently memorable or do they become such through their real life context

To use a general example, is Lord of the Rings such a strong premise on its own that if it was never published, only one original copy existed, and someone found and read it but kept it to themself, they would've remembered it for the rest of their lives, or is its lasting impact the result of the real life popularity that helped it permeate into pop culture

>> No.17983563

>>17983528
It's one of those things we'll never know for sure

Another famous example is marketing; how do we know for sure that the slogan "JUST DO IT" is really that fucking catchy, how do we know that maybe "DO IT" could have drawn in more $billions... we never really do, not to a 100% certainty

But what we do know is that there are certain principles of storytelling that separate the 99.9999% of RR drivel from bestsellers, so don't worry your head about the 0.0001%

>> No.17983566 [DELETED] 

>>17970414
File: 753F4DC8-C766-4837-B343-5(...).jpg (360 KB, 906x700)
360 KB
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)20:33:32 No.17983253▶>>17983258 >>17983263 >>17983328
What are some books?
>>
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)20:34:57 No.17983256▶>>17983304 >>17983328
File: crab.jpg (195 KB, 1024x922)
195 KB
I breathe thru my mouth. Muhammad is a paedophile
>>
PERSEY UBOMPA, THE UNVANQUISHABLE OUTLAW 04/09/21(Fri)20:35:38 No.17983258▶>>17983323 >>17983328
>>17983253 (OP)
BOOKS? I SHAT ON BOOKS. YOU"RE GAY? I SHAT EVERYWHERE IN YOUR MOUTH BECAUSE I AM PERSEY UBOMPA, LORD OF THE NIGGERS, EMPEROR OF THE JEWS
>>
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)20:37:13 No.17983263▶>>17983328
>>17983253 (OP)
Big Sneed and the Yang Gang Do Datona
>>
PERSEY UBOMPA, THE INFAMOUS OUTLAW 04/09/21(Fri)20:48:44 No.17983304▶>>17983328
>>17983256
BASED CRABNIGGER POSTER
>>
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)20:53:35 No.17983323▶
>>17983258 (You)
take your meds schizo
>>
PERSEY UBOMPA, THE INFAMOUS OUTLAW 04/09/21(Fri)20:53:50 No.17983326▶
JANNIES ARE TRANNIES PASS IT ON
>>
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)20:54:40 No.17983328▶>>17983332 >>17983506
>>17983256
>>17983253 (OP)
>>17983258 (You)
>>17983304 (You)
>>17983263
samefag fag
>>
PERSEY UBOMPA, THE INFAMOUS OUTLAW 04/09/21(Fri)20:55:49 No.17983332▶>>17983396 >>17983506
>>17983328
DO YOUR PARENTS KNOW YOU ARE GAY? OH, OKAY; OPINION DISREGARDED, FEMOID NIGGER JEW
>>
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)21:12:44 No.17983396▶>>17983506
>>17983332 (You)
what the fuck is your problem you fucking schizo faggot???
>>
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)21:36:32 No.17983506▶
>>17983396 (You)
>>17983332 (You)
>>17983328
samefag same fag fag nigger fag
>>
Anonymous 04/09/21(Fri)21:40:54 No.17983520▶
I JUST SHAT MYSELF

>> No.17983572

>>17973283
Just make simpler stuff until it flows

>> No.17983575

>>17983336
I wouldn't read either. If you can't fit your synopsis in max 3 sentences, you know you're thinking too complicated

>> No.17983587

>>17973949
I know that word from the "silent wench,I do not want to be horny anymore" meme

>> No.17983593

>>17983575
These are not synopsis, these are rough outlines for main conflicts.

>> No.17983645

>>17983528
Books like LotR aren't memorable because they're popular, but popular because they're memorable. Because people with wildly varying real circumstances around the world saw the universal essence of the story. There should be your answer.

>> No.17983648

>>17983593
>rough outlines for main conflicts
in other words, synopsis

>> No.17983649

>>17979648
a cyberpunk story needs whatever any story of any other kind needs,which is "whatever you want"

>> No.17983698

>>17980921
Maybe I'm crazy but I unironically think this is kino and a great example of longer sentences done right. Really creative imagery, wide range of vocab without using any words I didn't know, great rhythm. Seriously anon, Gj. Reading it after reading posts like >>17980084
Was a breath of fresh air

>> No.17983731

>>17980921
>>17983698
It's alright. Could do with just a hair less run-on sentences, but overall technique is fine.

Story, not much that can be told from such a small excerpt but that's to be expected.

>> No.17983752
File: 396 KB, 300x300, 234234234234234234.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It makes me wonder if people can really read a book any more and wait for it to 'get gud' like with older novels. Most people don't get past Fellowship when they read Lord of the Rings.

>> No.17983762

>>17983752
just make the beginning good

>> No.17983768

>>17983762
It was a dark and stormy night...

>> No.17983773

>>17972656
>>17971193
This anon has a point. He's an assassin and I'm gonna go out on a ball here and assume since he's an assassin he wouldn't care much and would just kill her off the bat because it's his job to do so. Please tell me if I'm wrong on that though.

>> No.17983779

>>17983768
there we go now that's the good stuff

>> No.17983811

>>17983752
Was just thinking this. I have to wonder how many of the fans just saw the movies because the book goes completely against the contemporary notion that you have to beat your reader over the head with excitement and tension from the first word.

Back when I was a dumb teenager I dropped Fellowship because "it was just a bunch of shit describing the trees". I don't doubt the average reader maintains that philosophy well into adulthood.

>> No.17983862

>>17983811
>>17983811
I was taking reading the fellowship slowly and it's a fun read so far, I think the glacial pacing is what marks it as a grown-up fantasy rather than the quick-paced forgettable fantasy. It's truly a journey, and will feel like a true journey when finished. But yeah still haven't gotten there yet myself.

>> No.17983870

>>17983862
How do you think an author would be able to write or publish such a book today?

>> No.17983939

>>17983870
No idea honestly. The hope would be a wholesome counter-culture to the degeneracy and adhd minded people today. In China there is a new trend of dressing in older fashions. Something like that could happen in the West.

People working full time jobs simply don't have the time to read or give a shit about The Lord of the Rings. If people had more free time on their hands in future the problem might solve itself. Right now every company is like a gas station offering junk food but no good meals.

>> No.17983997

>>17983939
>People working full time jobs simply don't have the time to read or give a shit about The Lord of the Rings

People do have free time, it's just that they only give a shit about social media, cinema and video games. It's not cool anymore to read books. But I don't believe it's the end of literature. In my opinion we must always look to innovate conventions, establish new genres and explore ways to create literature in accordance with the present times.

>> No.17984003

>>17983870
It would work perfectly today if only it had visuals.

>> No.17984033

>>17973709
what software is this?

>> No.17984050

>>17983939
>In China there is a new trend of dressing in older fashions
What?

>People working full time jobs simply don't have the time to read or give a shit about The Lord of the Rings
Rather, technology now is such that movies, Netflix and YouTube provide way more content in terms of both quantity and quality than books could in the past, so people read less for entertainment.

>> No.17984069

>>17984050
>Rather, technology now is such that movies, Netflix and YouTube provide way more content in terms of both quantity and quality than books could in the past, so people read less for entertainment.

This.

>> No.17984204
File: 210 KB, 1000x1421, IKEA-Pettersson-Findus-04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's a good way to plan an outline? I made a bunch of notes about this damn pulpy thing and now I'm moving onto actually writing.

I know that starting out it will be bad so I might as well write things that are fun to me.

>> No.17984367

>>17983870
Are you joking? Tons of boring slow-burn fantasy get published every year and win awards and shit.

>> No.17984556

>>17984367
Awards are not based on merit anymore. Or at least the popular ones. Not being a contrarian but it is largely based on politics.

>> No.17984641

>>17984556
It's a bit funny and naive of you to imply that such awards were ever based on merit at any time period.

>> No.17984704

>>17984556
Sure but the question wasn't about whether those novels had merit, it was whether they could be written or be published or be successful.

>> No.17985166

Is it okay to write "edgy" tripe, as long as you have fun writing it?

>> No.17985216

>>17984556
>>17984641
What merit can fantasy have besides its effectiveness at wasting time?

>> No.17985218

It seems like a lot of you guys write fantasy.

What is it that made you want to start writing fantasy specifically?

>> No.17985219

>>17985166
Joe Abercrombie seems to be doing okay.

>> No.17985226

>>17985216
What is merit?

>> No.17985240

>>17983939
We have cosplayers too, not only for comic con but for renaissance festivals and olde English tourist traps

>> No.17985452

>68k words
It's my sister's birthday tomorrow. Do I let her know about my writing and give her some samples, or would that ruin her day?

>> No.17985490

>>17983336
So, nobody to poke holes into those ideas, or suggest anything? Should I try /sffg/ instead?

>> No.17985495

>>17985452
>Sister's Birthday
>How can I make it about me?

Just let her have a fun day, and then ask her after tomorrow.

>> No.17985503

>>17985495
Anon she's turning 40 I don't think she wants people to pay undue attention to the fact that she's an old hag now, it's perfectly reasonable for the day to be about me, what better gift could I give her but to allow her to partake in the glory that is my art?

>> No.17985508

>>17985452
Are you writing specifically for your sister? Why would you want to give her your writing on her birthday?

>> No.17985519

>>17985503
Anon, just get her a bottle of champagne and a vibrator like a normal brother, and stop being so selfish.

>> No.17985522

>>17985490
the 1st idea is better than the 2nd. why his former friend was dragged there as well, I don't know, but if that's the plot, whatever.
the 2nd idea is just a convoluted mess.

>> No.17986123

>>17985503
Don't look for any excuses for your selfish behavior, anon.

>> No.17986430

>>17985503
Just fuck her and call it a night faggot

>> No.17986727

>>17985503
>she's turning 40
I don't think she has time for your writing, when her children and grandchildren are coming to visit

>> No.17986917

>>17975047
It's almost like quality doesn't matter.

>> No.17986943

>>17985218
Anyone?

>> No.17987002

>>17985218
>>17986943
Get to make shit up as I go along.
If I wanted to write a story about Jews during WW2, I would need to do a tonne of research, but if I wanted to write a story about the Squibblesnorfs fighting an everlasting war against the Evil Zorbulsnatches I don't have to do shit other than having a good time.

>> No.17987010
File: 22 KB, 600x532, a13c3f24b61bcfdb838a6c16fd054e17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

" “There he is, get him!” a watchman bellowed, drawing his weapon and gave chase along with his colleagues. They sprinted hard down the cobbled road to catch up to the thief. As once again, Agal was running from them, with a pilfered boon in his hand."

This paragraph is giving me a bloody headache. I know something is wrong with it. and

>> No.17987021

>>17987010
>As once again
Here is your problem.

>> No.17987104

>>17987010
>drawing his weapon and gave chase along with his colleagues
drawing his weapon and giving chase with his colleagues

>> No.17987150

>>17986943
My older brother had a bunch of fantasy and scifi books when I was growing up. Wasn't so much a fan of the scifi ones but the fantasy ones I liked. First ones I remember reading when I was like 10 years old were Dragonlance Chronicles and the Dark Elf Trilogy. Also the Redwall books, but I stumbled across those in the library. Redwall, Mossflower and whatever the 3rd one was. Mossflower was the best of those. Oh and Roald Dahl books. Are those technically fantasy? I'd say so.

>> No.17987585

Is it normal to be physically revolted by everything you write?

>> No.17987613
File: 22 KB, 491x492, 6CAC8FA5-5172-4C04-B895-AEFFB24B50D7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here’s some shitty poetry I wrote down while I was bored:
Our home, deep within the mountains, remains under siege
By tycoons and oligarchs, who steal and leech
this great lands beauty, culture, and soul
While forcing her people to slave away for coal

These oligarchs have pillaged our lands
Destroying our families with a swift, cruel hand
They have taken away our fathers and our sons
And then forced the widows out, through lawyers and hired guns

The irony, the sons of Irishmen again enslaved
And in Irishmen blood, these oligarchs bathe
Are these men Appalachia's destiny?
No, they're a disease with a single remedy

Appalachia, rise and cast off your chains
We must destroy these tyrannical oligarchs until none remain
Appalachia, drive these conquerors into the sea
Because then, and only then, can we be free

>> No.17987814
File: 288 KB, 1243x1600, David-Foster-Wallace-American.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wasn't sure if I should start a thread for this so I will post it here. I don't know if anyone will believe me but David Foster Wallace is still alive. He faked his death and he works at Home Depot now. I'm not joking.

>> No.17987884

>>17987613
Pretty good.
I don't know the subject matter (I assume someone is cutting off the top of your mountains), but it is good.
Keep up the good work, anon.

>> No.17987902

>>17987814
As someone who has had the misfortune of reading a bit more than 50% of Infinite Jest, I can say, without a doubt, that he's doing the world a service by using his skills to sell lumber and not writing anymore.

>> No.17988008

>>17987902
Why didn't you like it?

>> No.17988031

>>17987613
yeah fucking kill the rich people

>> No.17988244

>>17983752
To this day, I cannot get through LoTR.
I like The Hobbit though.
Gary Gygax was right.

>> No.17988296

>>17988008
I did not give a single fuck about any of the characters. I stopped reading right around the time they had the street fight outside the halfway house. Did not care about it, or anything that happened to the characters. I also was annoyed he called things like The Year of the Whopper. I figured it might be an indication that there was some crazy monumental lie that occurred during that year. But nope, no reason for it. Also tennis is for fags.

>> No.17988479

>>17982706
Andrey Andreyovich Vlasov is worth checking out, He and his men swapped sides during WW2, felt the Germans were the good guys compared to the commies.

>> No.17988504

>>17988479
>felt the Germans were the good guys compared to the commies.
Very based, both because it's true and because it will make /lit/ trannies seethe.

>> No.17988536

>>17984033
Scrivener 3.0, it recently released for Windows on the main branch a few weeks ago.

>> No.17988607

>>17988536
Looks even more hideous than the previous windows version. Is it worth the upgrade?

>> No.17988706

What do people mean when they say "it sounds like you got your story figured out".
Honestly, it sounds like a backhanded compliment to me.

>> No.17988758
File: 241 KB, 1080x1867, image_2021-04-09_162325.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17988607
You can't please them all I guess. Also, that dialogue stuff is togglable in a setting called linguistics mode which shows a range of options from verbs to such. On Windows, though, there's only an option to view/highlight dialogue like in that pic. There's a bunch of other under the hood additions like changes to corkboard mode that allows for viewing labels as "threads" in either column or rows, which is nifty if you use utilize labels for things like subplots or multiple PoVs. It finally has themes—in that particular one I'm using darkmode, but there's a few other dark/gray ones as well.

cont

>> No.17988764

>>17988706
honestly i don't know what to tell you. it sounds like you got your story figured out.

>> No.17988765
File: 270 KB, 1080x1867, image_2021-04-09_162217.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Additional screenshot showing my personal freeform use of the corkboard, as well as colored labels that I think was added in Scrinever 3 as well. It might've been there before but I haven't utlized labels as much until converting the project.

Slight nitpicks, but they slimmed down the culture name lists from S1. But there are legacy packs floating around (its like the first google result) to re-add them in... but the dufus who did it forgot to set genders so they will all appear as masculine. Also, you have to actually select culture groups so it generates a list, so no more of just selecting random and seeing what sticks.

This is more of a personal issue, compiling for royalroad premium chapter imports scuffs the markdown punctuation on things like apostates, em dashes, ellipisies, and apostrophies, so I have to go through a chapter import and fix all the scuffed punctuation.

At the end of the day, you can always just try the free 30-day trial. It only counts the time you use it, so you could totally use it on the 1st day, sleep on it for 30 days and it will only count as 29 days left or whatever. On the plus side if you bought Scrinever after November 2017 you get it for free.

>> No.17988796

How do I get better at coming up with, and introducing, new characters?

>> No.17988860

>>17986727
All the women around here waited to have kids until they were in their early forties. Needless to say I know a ton of autists.

>> No.17988959

>>17988860
Where do you live? The women in my area have children either in their teens or early 20's.

>> No.17989060

Clouds rolled in and thunder cracked
As spades bit into soil,
Metal sounding peat bog smacked
Tearing roots from toil.

Each among them knew their plot
Grasping barren filth,
Blood trickling down their trunks
Hands sinking into silt.

Broken backward still yet moving
Shivering to and fro,
Limbs curled and fingers clasped
Taut as Apollo's bow.

"Once more you silent sinners
Once more" shrieks a wind
As clouds roll in and thunder cracks,
And drumming lip lids crash.

>> No.17989073

>>17988764
don't joke

>> No.17989247

>>17989060
>Metal sounding peat bog smacked
>Broken backward still yet moving
These lines read as nonsense.
>And drumming lip lids crash.
What on earth is a lip lid?

>> No.17989266

>>17988504
>losing is based
Seethe harder my dear chap.

>> No.17989270

>>17989247
Why are they nonsense?

>> No.17989282

>>17989266
Why tell him to seethe when he's obviously coping?

>> No.17989295

>>17989270
>Metal sounding peat bog smacked
Is the metal sounding something? Is it metal-sounding? Peat bog smacked what? Is the metal-sounding beat bog being smacked? Is it smacking something? The meaning is gramatticaly indescipherable.
>Broken backward still yet moving
Why "still"? What is is "broken backwards still"? Do you mean "Still broken backwards" or "broken backwards and also still"?

>> No.17989308

>>17989295
What do you imagine when you read them

>> No.17989328

>>17989308
I cannot form a coherent image from either of those lines. Now tell me, as explicitly as possible, what are you trying to describe with them?

>> No.17989346

>>17989328
If you had to choose within the context of what else is written and why those lines may be written as ambiguously as they are, what do they mean to you

>> No.17989363

>>17989346
Anon, please stop defending your poorly-worded poem.

>> No.17989374

>>17989346
Anon, I've asked you a dozen questions already and you haven't ansered a single one of them.

>> No.17989375

>>17989282
To cope is to seethe,
Upon morning breeze,
A background of blue,
During covid sneezing,
On forum that is,
Mongolian basket weaving.

>> No.17989377

>>17989363
Read between the lines lad

>> No.17989385

>>17989377
Anon, I won't do that, because there's nothing there.

>> No.17989387

>>17989374
It's poetry!

>> No.17989394

>>17989387
It’s poorly-worded.

>> No.17989395

>>17989375
Should have been Spring's breeze.

>> No.17989396

>>17989385
There never is

>> No.17989399

>>17989387
It's shit poetry.

>> No.17989403

>>17989394
It's beautiful.

>> No.17989404

New thread
>>17989398

>> No.17989486

>>17988765
Man, that looks good but it also seems intimidating. How are the tutorials for that?

>> No.17989731

>>17988031
That wasn’t really the point of the poem, but to each their own I suppose