[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 6 KB, 180x280, hamzayusuf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18193264 No.18193264 [Reply] [Original]

What is the consensus omnium on this man? What distinguishes him from Orientalist scholars of the 19th century other than his faith? And isn't Tasawwuf bida' and some of its practices a form of shirk? I've always considered the only correct usul al fiqh that of Ibn Hanbal.

>> No.18193284

>>18193264
I'm a Muslim and I don't want to see religion generals on the literature board, I also don't know who that guy is.
>isn't Tasawwuf bida' and some of its practices a form of shirk?
Not if it isn't shirk. There are two kinds of bida', one of which is permissable whereas the other kind is not permissible.
>I've always considered the only correct usul al fiqh that of Ibn Hanbal.
At least the four major schools of fiqh are all correct, so no and you'll have to reevaluate your position because it's wrong.

>>>/his/
It's Ramadan and I'm just telling you these things as courtesy, not arguing not interested.

>> No.18193294

>>18193284
Hamza Yusuf (Mark Hanson) is an American scholar and indeed among the most prominent scholars of Islam in the Western world living today. He studied with Ibn bin Bayyah in Mauritania.

>> No.18193319

>>18193264
He is a beautiful rhetorician. Hear the man weaves poetry into his speaking to add profundity to his ideas. Absolutely stunning. I personally like him, but I prefer
to listen and read Abdal Hakim Murad because he is gentle and hopeful.

With regards to tassawuf, it isn't bid'ah and you really should not have this "this is definitely the truth" idea in this religion because it is egotistical, and at the inception of our religion, we have always been diverse. Look at the sunnah and the Quran and you'll find multiple affirmations to the legitimacy of multiplicity. As long as he holds to the Quran and believe in the oneness of God and His Prophet, he is a Muslim. End of story.

Happy Ramadhan and may you have a beautiful iftar this evening.

>> No.18193390
File: 614 KB, 1106x962, Westerners mastering Islam.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18193319
Is mastery over the Arabic language required to understand Islam to its fullest?

>> No.18193582

>>18193390
Hmm, to understand the sources and be a judge, yes.
To be a good Muslim, not really.

>> No.18193642

Fuck Islam, Allah, fuck Muhammad, fuck you

>> No.18193693

>>18193642
Sounds like someone hasn't yet (re)discovered their submission to God. Back to >>>/pol/ chud.

>> No.18193707
File: 101 KB, 740x450, Ibn-Arabi-1165-1240-retains-a-substantial-following-in-the-Middle-East-and-the-West.-The-Stanford-Encyclopedia-of-Philosophy-states-that-he-can-be-considered-the-greatest-of-all-Muslim-philosophers..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thoughts on Ibn Arabi? Did he take Islam as far as it can go, or end up fossilizing the entire culture with his approach to Sufism and Islam like Louis Massignon and Anne-Marie Schimmel noted?