[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 1280x843, B8D37F6D-03FC-4B29-B520-4ACDBCC4681D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18193304 No.18193304 [Reply] [Original]

Title. I’ve been doing a bit of world building for this book I’m working on and I can’t help but feel that all my ideas I come up with are either too unoriginal or have been done better by a different writer. I feel like I just take my favorite parts of different stories and just merge it into one big clusterfuck. I’ve read online that it’s normal to feel that way as a beginning writer but I just can’t shake the feeling that I’m not being original enough.

>> No.18193581

>>18193304
I don’t really do worldbuilding anymore but right after I stopped I started slowly making all the connections to other people’s work and realized how unoriginal I was. Over the years though I’ve still been thinking about it and making changes to just in my head and it’s slowly morphed into something more original. I’d say just keep doing it and as it all builds on itself it will become more your own

>> No.18195376

>>18193304
I often rewrite passages I like from other works. I doubt my writing will be studied at all, let alone in such detail by broadly knowledgeable readers, that it will ever come up. Your immediate task is to write what is best and most pleasing, bearing in mind most of the concepts and language you employ won't be wholly original in any case. Personally I'd rather knowingly build upon and transform a good foundation than unwittingly cobble together a bunch of cliches.

>> No.18196524

>>18193304
>Feel like I just take my favorite parts of different stories and just merge it into one big clusterfuck. I’ve read online that it’s normal to feel that way as a beginning writer but I just can’t shake the feeling that I’m not being original enough.

There's nothing new under the sun. Honestly, being a writer is just reassembling a puzzle made by pieces you've either seen or heard of in the past. "Imagination" is the result of your memories being reassessed with time and altering each other, bringing to life a perspective you think is unique to yourself but is in fact something straight out of the collective memory of humanity.
Imo, writing (fiction) isn't about being original, it's about embracing unoriginality and focusing on making up an entertaining journey. That said, you can have the best world, the best plot and even overall the best ideas in the world, it's worth nothing if you have shit writing.

>> No.18196538

>>18196524
And I wholefully agree with >>18193581 and >>18195376 anons. I didn't say to write clichés, only to focus on writing what you like and making it good. If you transform every idea you've stolen little by little, the ending result will be considered original.