[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 89 KB, 652x1000, irene_von_meyendorff_p87.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18193339 No.18193339 [Reply] [Original]

I've recently read "Der dümmste Sibiriak" by Bruno Brehm and some books by Kurt Kluge and greatly enjoyed them. Sadly, most literature written in the 30s and 40s that wasn't Exilliteratur has become obsucre and quite hard to find these days.
Do you know any other good books written under the Third Reich, or are they rightfully forgotten?

Also, feel free to post some general German book recommendations and talk about German literature.

>Books recommended by anons:
https://pastebin.com/j3KDzJBZ

>Learn German
>Karl Sandberg's German for Reading is still considered to be the best book for acquiring the ability to read German.
https://languagelearning.site/german/german-for-reading/

>The FSI German Basic Course was developed in the 1960s by the US government’s Foreign Service Institute with absolute beginners in mind. It teaches you the necessary basics.
https://archive.org/details/Fsi-GermanBasicCourse-StudentText/Fsi-GermanBasicCourse-Volume1-StudentText

Don't be afraid of using apps like Duolingo or Babbel, they are also great tools, especially for training listening comprehension.

>> No.18193348
File: 1.98 MB, 1165x3200, Krautlit Essentials.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've also made a chart with essential German literature, what do you think?

>> No.18193371

>>18193348
Hey, it's that anon again! Reclam are v. practical, but using their covers for a chart is a bit boring. I also still think you should have Demian or Narziss & G. as your Hesse pick.

>> No.18193384

>>18193339
What a beautiful aristocratic angel. Tonight, I will end my multiple week long stretch of only edging and never releasing, and will in actual fact, release all my sexual energy in one fell swoop, as an offering to her pure soul.

>> No.18193403

Auf den Marmorklippen came out in 1939 and as all of Jüngers works was relavent to the time.

>> No.18193405

>>18193348
Is there no notable German literature prior to the mediaeval texts listed? Maybe you could add in the year or approximate year it was written (though that might be a little difficult for the oldest texts you have there). Otherwise very nice, pragmatic colour scheme and layout. I like the cover for Hyperion, by the way.

>> No.18193458

>>18193371
>Reclam are v. practical, but using their covers for a chart is a bit boring
You're right, I didn't think of that, maybe I'll make some changes. But some books are only available as Reclams, for example Hans Sachs, and others are "iconic" reclams, such as Faust.

>Demian or Narziss & G. as your Hesse pick
Hesse was a though choice, I eventually settled for Steppenwolf because it's one of his most popular works

>Is there no notable German literature prior to the mediaeval texts listed?
Not really, the one of the earliest German texts we have is the Hildebrandslied form the 9th century. It's only one page and incomplete, you can read it in English translation here:
https://www.dorthonion.com/drmcm/west_to_dante/Readings/hildebrand.html
or in German translation here:
http://www.hiltibrant.de/home.html
Most medieval texts were written by monks (Notker Labeo for example) and therefore church-related.
German literature first peaked in late 12th and early 13th century, and this is the time when both the Nibelungenlied and Parzival were written down. Many other great works were also written in that time period, like Tristan und Isolde or the Enneasroman, but I couldn't include all. Maybe I'll make a seperate medieval chart someday.

>Maybe you could add in the year or approximate year it was written
Thought about that, but I thought that it could maybe clutter the chart.

>Otherwise very nice, pragmatic colour scheme and layout
Thank you!

>> No.18193461

>>18193348
Why Drei Frauen and not Torless? Which is considered more important in Germany? Also, perhaps there should be some Theodor Storm? Or Rilke?

>> No.18193464

>>18193458
Isn't there a German medieval text called Der Borte? it seems quite interesting

>> No.18193514

>>18193461
>Why Drei Frauen and not Torless?
I think Drei Frauen has more modernist elements, it's also a great introduction to Musil as it's probably his most accessible work while also not lacking depth. But you're right, Törleß is more essential, I will change it.

>>18193464
>Isn't there a German medieval text called Der Borte?
Yes, it's quite raunchy, like many medieval and early modern works. Wittenwiler's Ring is also a great example of this genre. The female protagonist is called Mätzli Rüerenzumph, which roughly translates to "Harlot Grabthedick".

>> No.18193604

>>18193461
Rilke is Austrian though, and then you've opened the door to Kafka, Bernhard etc. who would otherwise belong on the list.

Oh, shit, but Musil!

>> No.18193617

>>18193604
>Rilke is Austrian though
dont make that distinction.
Just change it to german language literature then.
Seeing "german" as only modern germany is a very american point of view.

>> No.18193637

>>18193604
Austrians are Germans. But even if you don't think so, Austrian literature is still a part of German literature. The Nibelungenlied was also most likely written down by someone from the area that today is Austria.

>> No.18194252

>>18193339
>Do you know any other good books written under the Third Reich
I know that there were quite a few popular female authors, like Josefa Berens-Totenohl and Agnes Miegel. I've never read them though, because it's hard to find their books. The government is also actively trying to erase these authors from public memory by renaming streets and removing statues and plaques.

>> No.18194286

op this is based af

any recs for simple books? b1 level

>> No.18194351

>>18194286
>any recs for simple books? b1 level
I recommend Momo by Michael Ende, it's a classic and not too hard to read.

>> No.18194361

>>18193405
There's the Hildebrandlied from the 9th century, but when going back so far it gets tricky to speak of the German language. Even the medieval stuff is stretching it, as it's mostly unintelligible to today's average German speaker.

>> No.18194372

>>18193458
Was also meant for >>18193405

>> No.18194373

>>18194361
Oops,
>>18193458
already answered this in a better way.

>> No.18194633

>>18193514
> Yes, it's quite raunchy, like many medieval and early modern works. Wittenwiler's Ring is also a great example of this genre. The female protagonist is called Mätzli Rüerenzumph, which roughly translates to "Harlot Grabthedick".
Also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Rosendorn
> To conclude the story, the maid is physically reunited with her cunt with the assistance of a passing young man.
> tfw no maid to assist in reuniting with her cunt :(

>> No.18195265
File: 44 KB, 399x385, 1ewdzs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18194633
>the audience is told how "von ainer wurz fugt sich das,/Das die Fut zu ir frauen sprach" ("As a result of a herb the cunt was able to speak to her lady").
>The fut later explains that it ate the root; this has been interpreted as having been used as a tool of penetrative masturbation

Medieval literature really is something else

>> No.18195508

Von Salomon, Die Geächteten

>> No.18195947

>>18195508
Seconding this, though personally I feel Salomons Fragebogen much better captures the overall Zeitgeist. Die Geächteten talks about military, the assassination and prison while the Fragebogen gives a big overview of most areas of from the end of ww1 to the end of ww2. Either way, he is an underrated author and one can learn a lot from his books.

>> No.18196598

>>18193637
>>18193617
the hell happened to kafka then?

>> No.18196654

>>18196598
?
what happened to him?