[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 118 KB, 728x1073, ready.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1820833 No.1820833 [Reply] [Original]

Whenever I have browsed people's facebook accounts I look in movies and constantly see Adam Sandler mentioned but in their books they either don't have any listed or "LOL, can't read". Why? WHY does humanity favour the stupid and look down on intelligence?

>> No.1820847

This is why I can't make new friends. Everybody is just so damn easy to hate.

>> No.1820846

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

READ UP, JOHNNY.

>> No.1820851

fuck you, you pretentious faggot.

You also have trisomy

>> No.1820856

i legit didn't know people still looked at the interests section of facebook prfoiles

>> No.1820860

I don't even use the bloody thing anymore.

>> No.1820861

>>1820856
WHAT are YOU doing on /lit/?

>> No.1820878

sad, isn't it? Check out the book Anti-Intellectualism in American Life

>> No.1820881
File: 41 KB, 350x520, BillyMadison.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Of course I peed my pants. Everyone my age pees their pants. It's the coolest.

>> No.1820908

Most people are uncomfortable with greatness (or are incapable of recognizing it for a number of reasons).

You should read The Fountainhead. It covers this idea nicely.

>> No.1821002

bump thread

>> No.1821006

>>1820908
>You should read the Fountainhead

Fuck your shit.

>> No.1821030

I suspect the mass-media has an interest in pushing the idea that stupidity is cute and endearing because stupid people are easier to sell to and manipulate.

>> No.1821040

My friends have books listed but it's retard-tier stuff by Vonnegut and Palahniuk (or however the fuck you spell his name).

>> No.1821054

ultimately intelligence isn't as important as most people think it is

why is intelligence so crucial? lots of people are happy and successful without it.

but seriously, adam sandler is hilaaaarious

have you seen click? brilliant. the war and peace of underrated wacky comedies staring adam sandler.

>> No.1821065

I find that many people I know who are well read don't bother updating their interests section and it just lists a handful of books they read 3-4 years ago.

>> No.1821072

But I like Adam Sandler D:

>> No.1821086
File: 13 KB, 615x166, Picture 11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1821065
or they have nothing like me...because filling out that shit is dumb

>> No.1821153

>implying Waterboy isn't hilarious

>> No.1821160

SKIBBITY SKABATY WAWABALOOOOOO

that's my adam sandler impression

>> No.1821414

Because people, ALL people, are lazy and fearful. Stupid pursuits are easier than intellectual ones, ignorance more comfortable than wisdom.

>> No.1821432

Society creates a stigma around people who enjoy more meaningful pursuits because it makes them easier to herd around like sheep.

>> No.1821430

Nobody reads books anymore. Can you blame them? They all know what happens, they just watch the movie adaptations now.

It's just the same as how nobody listens to radio anymore.

Television, and cinema killed the radio, and books.

>> No.1821500

>WHY does humanity favour the stupid and look down on intelligence?
It's simple. Because we're animals and animals don't care whether or not another of its kind is smarter than them. It's about strength and the amount of offspring you can make(Darwinian fitness). Don't you see? Nature favors the strong and punishes the weak for being just that: weak. Seriously, you'll be alot better off if you just stop caring and accept this important fact about society.

btw, Who cares? No one will give a shit in 100 years anyways.

>> No.1821523

I want to post something about how high intelligence has stopped being a selected-for phenotype among humans (if it ever was), maybe due to its incompatibility with long life and high fertility, and then relate it back to Zapffe somehow, but I'm too lazy.

>> No.1821562

>>1821523
If anything, high intelligence relates to longer life due to healthier living (idiots dont go to yoga).

Also, you are not intelligent because your parents where - your surroundings while growing up shape your intellect as well.

>> No.1821579

>>1821500

We have evolved beyond the harsh maxim of 'survival of the fittest', it no longer applies to humans.

>> No.1821582

>>1821562
Intelligence is also quite heritable, but not 100%, to be sure.

Also, there are a series of factors common among people of very high intelligence, from getting too little sleep to a tendency to get depressed and commit suicide, that contribute to making them a bit more "delicate" than your average Joe.

>> No.1821593

Why do people who read books think they're so superior to people who don't?

>> No.1821598
File: 7 KB, 170x213, 1302572427421.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1821579
Keep telling yourself that, bro.
Some man who's a lot stronger and dumber than you is out right now having the time of his life, getting wasted and having sex with women, while you're inside, alone, staring at a glowing computer screen. Face it man, Nature doesn't pity the smart men.

>> No.1821631
File: 50 KB, 485x364, iaintevenmad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1821598

Smart man doesn't pity you when you're done having sex and getting wasted and your life is a bag of assholes.

>> No.1821638

ITT: OP's nerdy teen angst and butthurt because humanity is as it is...

>> No.1821659

>>1821598

Shouldn't that read 'Some man who's a lot stronger (and dumber) than US...' since you're doing the same thing that you assume I'm doing right now?

You also assume some correlation between strength and stupidity, and enjoying life and having numerous sexual partners. I don't know why you think stupid people are necessarily strong, or intelligent people necessarily weak. I don't understand the why you believe that getting wasted and having sex with women equates to having the time of your life. I can't comprehend why you think that female humans seek brute strength over other traits in potential sexual partners in the modern age. And I cannot fathom why you believe that I am weak (I'm not), am intelligent (I am only a little above average), am male (though I am), do not enjoying life (all smiles here, friend), don't drink a lot (far too much), do not enjoy relations with women (I do alright for myself) and that I am alone (I'm not).

Your last point is absurd, and not only because the idea of nature feeling pity is ridiculous. Nature doesn't have to pity the smart man, the smart man controls his environment. This is one of the reasons why your Dawinist account does not apply to humans anymore. Another is because females look for more than mere physical power in mates. Even if you're (and I'm not saying you are) a skinny intellectual with angst over a failing social life and intact virginity doesn't mean that the rest of /lit/ is.

Keep living with your head up your arse, 'bro'.

>> No.1821661
File: 226 KB, 357x400, stopliking_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1820833
>Why?
because
dealwithit.jpg

Also, you are not so "intelligent" if it's causing you trouble.

lrn2smart and dealwithit.jpg
OR
live like a stupid raging faggot your whole life.

>> No.1821700

>>1821659
this post sucks mainly because you put bro in quotes and also because you're kind of being a conversation terrorist ("I can't comprehend", >>1820833
>>1821040
actually I think both of those guys are pretty good writers they're just popular. I think you're confusing popularity and accessibility for bad writing.

>> No.1821703

Because the homosapiens who migrated out of Africa and colonized the rest of the Earth can be traced back to one mother: which means we are all mutated and inbred.

In a population of inbreds, the vast majority will be borderline retarded, ergo the answer to your question: most people are borderline retarded apes.

>> No.1821745

>>1821703
actually if what you were saying were true than it would be inherently contradictory because in my opinion if everyone's retarded than no one's actually retarded. Kind of like truth is what people believe. Also if you're right that means life itself is retarded, which I don't believe.

>> No.1821750

>>1821700

We are not bros. I was ridiculing him for his usage of the term.

I don't know what you mean with your second point, this is either because I don't understand your post or you don't understand mine. If you elaborate a little I'm sure we'll get there in the end.

>> No.1821790
File: 491 KB, 3311x2558, ydna_migrationmap_(FTDNA2006).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1821745
Hey cunt, learn something for a change instead of being a stupid cunt:

http://onemansblog.com/2007/11/08/the-massive-list-of-genius-people-with-the-highest-iq/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup

I don't feel like educating a stupid cunt, so I will stop here.

.....Cunt.