[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 74 KB, 1099x474, 1307599950001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1841001 No.1841001 [Reply] [Original]

Does hedonism invariably lead to nihilism?

>> No.1841023

Fuckin' nihilism and hedonism. No one knows what either of those words means.

Go read some god damned Lucretius and Walter Pater then come back and give us your thoughts, you moron.

>> No.1841044

No, but capitalism inevitably leads to communism

>> No.1841123

>>1841044

Says later Marx... fah!

>> No.1841133

I've always felt Benthams push-pin example was proto-nihilistic (and correct), but hedonism is not really linked with nihilism apart from one being a measurement of the 'good' in life and the other being a rejection of objective goods

I do believe they can co-exist though, depending on the account

>> No.1841161

>>1841044

Which then leads back to capitalism.

Class struggle. It ebbs and flows.

>> No.1841340

>>1841001
it doesn't lead to it so much as they are pretty much exactly the same.

>> No.1841522

I don't think so.
A girl showed me once how a spirit can rise when unfettered, how goodness can beget goodness until it keeps going up up up up up up up up, and I don't really believe it when they tell me gravity can't be conquered. They point to Dionysus, saying "look there, there goes the king of the Maenads. There goes the man who gluts himself of blood and wine alike," and oh what fine robes you have, Dionysus! Do you really think that all joy could lie in that blood-caked shroud? Do you not see how the blood weighs your robes down, how they drag across the ground? Do you not see the brambles you gather, how they stick in your sandal like a Russian holds his tooth? Are you so joyous, Dionysus? Do your eyes match your wine, Dionysus? Does your wine match your blood? Go on and go under, Dionysus, but leave your robes behind. I fear you will not rise again if you cling to them.

>> No.1841534

what are the fucking chances Paris Hilton becomes a nihilist? It's not going to happen.

>> No.1841580

>>1841534
Depending on how you define nihilist, she may already be one.

>> No.1841591

Here's how it goes, hedonism leads to debauchery which leads to gluttony which leads to enlightenment which leads to freedom from desire, which leads to nihilism which leads to a clue which leads the gang to the old Jenkins barn which leads to the ghost!

>> No.1841595

>>1841580
I don't think Paris Hilton has any philosophies. Just credit cards and a lazy eye.